It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Texas judge orders lesbian couple to live apart or lose children

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Here's a wonderful story I found today. You know, it amazes me that conservatives often yell bloody murder at 'activist' judges who overturn certain laws, yet say nothing when a judge decides to ruin a family because he doesn't personally approve of their lifestyle.

A Republican Texas Judge has ordered a lesbian couple to live apart or give up custody of their children. According to Think Progress, Judge John Roach of McKinney, Texas has given Page Price 30 days to move out of the home she shares with Carolyn Compton and Compton’s two children from a previous marriage because he does not approve of Compton and Price’s “lifestyle.”

Roach has placed a “morality clause” in Compton’s divorce papers, which forbids Compton from having anyone she is not related to “by blood or marriage” in her home past 9:00 p.m. if the children are present. Same sex marriage is illegal in Texas, so by law, Compton cannot live with Price if she wishes to retain custody of her children.

Source

A morality clause? Are you kidding me? That has to be oneof the most idiotic things I have ever heard of. How dare this judge determine on his own whims, without evidence, that these people aren't fit to raise children.

Then, on top of that, insert his own personal views into their lives and limit their personal freedom?!

That is some nonsense. Texas, you really need to get your crap together.

~Tenth
edit on 5/20/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/20/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I have s solution for that couple and the children...pack up and move to Seattle, WA...we will welcome them with open arms.

+3 more 
posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
This idiot should be fired immediately. The sad thing is there are people that will agree with what this idiot is doing.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Only 1 way to enforce such a thing.

Regular nightly check ups.
And overnight surveillance.

Anyone notice how impossible to enforce this is?
Anyone notice how people submit to authority even when authority is utterly fascistic?

--------> You don't fight for your rights you ain't got none.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Republican Texas judge orders lesbian couple to live apart or lose children

First of all, I personally dislike any government or court that goes so far as to say who can live with whom. The little town I live in here is next to a major university and there is an archaic, albeit still-enforced city ordinance that makes it unlawful for two people of opposite gender to live in the same home if they are not married.

I was shocked that such had not long since been struck down by someone, somewhere. So, in a way, this incident in Texas is not so surprising from that standpoint.

Also, if I may, I find the inclusion of politics here as being somewhat skewed. Just because the judge happens to be Republican, really has no bearing. I know many, many conservatives who agree with me that government and courts should have no say in, again, who lives with whom. In fact, the application of polarization based on politics seems to have a more divisive tone to it than one that seeks harmony and accord.

Not all Republicans are ee-ville... just as all Democrats are not pinko commies, lol.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

No I agree his being republican has little or nothing to do with it, but it was the title of the story.

I do think that Conservatives are far more likely to show this kind of behavior though than Democrats are to be honest.

You see Conservatives IMO, have been lied to and think that meddling in people's personal lives is somehow a conservative value, when in fact, it's a liberal one.

~Tenth

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I disagree, politics has everything to do with it.

Once someone chooses a "political party", they begin to stop treating every situation as unique and start applying the "party line" to everything, and toe it at any costs.

So yeah, politics has everything to do with it.

Look around and you tell me, who hasn't been a victim of senseless politics at one point or another?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Sure people make politically charged decisions all the time, in areas where politics should not apply.

What I'm saying and the poster above who mentioned it in the first place is that treating everything as politically charged actually hurts the overall goal of having these 'case by case' basis judgements that we want to see in our justice system.

If we simply chalk it up to partisan politics every time, then nothing ever gets done. I think what we need to see is Politicians from both sides, attacking the fringe elements within their own parties.

Republicans would do very well in the next election if the 40% of them who are sane started asking the rest of them to leave. The same could be said about democrats.

~Tenth

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Removed quote of an actioned post.

Do you have any proof to back up these ridiculous claims? The judge is doing nothing but spreading homophobia.
This video here gives a view different from yours.

edit on 20-5-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/20/2013 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

It's not up to you and I to decide how others live.
That is totalitarianism and anti-American and even anti-Jesus for that matter.

I don't agree with how others live or exist either. My life is an affront to theirs usually, and that's fine by me.

But allowing the government to say who lives with who?
What are they our parents now?
Wait, my parents cannot even tell me who I can live with since I am an adult.

See anything wrong with 100% control over everyone's lives by the VERY SAME GOVT that commits endless atrocities and criminal acts?

Sigh I give up. I got better things to do than waste my time on this.

edit on 20-5-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CasaVigilante

Lesbians shouldn't even be allowed to live apart

So what you are basically saying is that Lesbians(and no doubt homosexuals) should be put to death?

Nice world you live in!

And I agree with Muzzleflash, the Rabid Foaming Mouthed Haters are already in here so I am out!
edit on 20/5/13 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

If we simply chalk it up to partisan politics every time, then nothing ever gets done. I think what we need to see is Politicians from both sides, attacking the fringe elements within their own parties.

No that would allow them to attack anyone who goes against the norm.

So if fascism and hate become the norm, than the "fringes" will be the good guys. You want a system solidified that facilitates the downfall of the fringe and gives all the good cards to the "mainstream thinkers"??

I sure as hell don't.

What we need to see is American voters learning how to think for themselves and vote accordingly for once. That is all.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

*Hands the troll a cookie.*

1. It seems you are implying that Lesbians should not be allowed to live? If you are, please seek help from a qualified mental health professional before you hurt someone.

2. If you are not please seek help from a qualified teacher so that you can learn how to communicate.

3. If it is a Freudian slip, please refer back to #1.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

So if fascism and hate become the norm, than the "fringes" will be the good guys. You want a system solidified that facilitates the downfall of the fringe and gives all the good cards to the "mainstream thinkers"??

No no, just because they are the fringe does not mean they are the minority. I would consider the MINORITY in politics today as being the sane and center/moderate thinkers.

The populists right now are the problem. An army of conservatives and liberals who think they know better than me or you and think they have the right to guide your future based on their own pre-conceived notions of happiness and success.

What we need to see is American voters learning how to think for themselves and vote accordingly for once. That is all.

Yes, that is something I also want, but who is going to teach them how to think for themselves? Who is going to stand there and explain to them how this system works, who it actually is there for and how to fight it?

It will be the 40% of politicians who actually give a damn about their constituents and their country.

What we currently have is a bunch of people who joined politics because they were afraid.

Afraid of terrorists.
Afraid of religious persecution. ( wrongly perceived)
Xenophobic
Homophobic.

This exists on both sides of the isle, trust me there are as many democrats against gay marriage and who are pro religion than republicans, they just do a better job at making it sound like they agree.

The whole top 60% of all elected officials IMO are extremists. Be in left or right ideology. They are not moderate and do not represent the average American, who is moderate in almost all respects.

The problem is the that the moderate American is usually too busy trying to put food on the table to pay attention to even local politics.

But then again, that's probably on purpose. Can't have the middle class paying attention now can we?

~Tenth

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Yes, that is something I also want, but who is going to teach them how to think for themselves? Who is going to stand there and explain to them how this system works, who it actually is there for and how to fight it?

~Tenth

Thank you for the kind and well thought out reply.

I suppose it is up to you and I, to take on this crucible.

We have everything to gain, nothing to lose.

Think 100 years ahead. 1000 years.
A tiny drop in the bucket today can change the entire dynamic in such a long period of time.
Choose carefully which dominoes to knock over.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Roach has placed a “morality clause” in Compton’s divorce papers, which forbids Compton from having anyone she is not related to “by blood or marriage” in her home past 9:00 p.m. if the children are present.

So, if she was straight, she couldn't live with a man, either, making cohabitation illegal, even if he was just a roommate??? Even a female roommate! She cannot have a platonic roommate! It's hard for me to believe that he can legally do that!

I hope this comes down HARD on him. "Small government" in action.

reply to post by CasaVigilante

I find the idea that gay people "want to ruin children's minds and destroy families" VERY curious! What could possibly be the advantage of ruining children's minds and destroying families? There is none. What could be the motivation for gay people (or ANYONE) to want to do that? There is none.

I have heard this sentiment before and wondered about it. My conclusion is that this is what some people must tell themselves to feel OK about their own bigoted and ill-informed opinions. There is no other reason to make such a nonsensical and unfounded statement.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
what a ludicrous and primitive mindset the vehemently anti-gay brigade have. back to the dark ages with them.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I don't think that politics enters into it. Sounds like he was going by the divorce agreement--by the letter of the law. Now, I agree that the part of the divorce agreement banning "no one present after nine unless related by blood or marriage" is a stupid one, but that is part of the agreement that she signed and the Judge seems to be holding her to it. Sounds like she had a crappy divorce lawyer or there was something else going on that made her ex insist that this clause be included.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Sigh. Just one of the things that makes me ashamed of my home state. We Austinites are trying to change things in Texas, but it's real hard.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join