It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Syria prepared to fire missiles at Tel Aviv

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by deckdel

As much as Syria has every right to retaliate, I believe that their restraint is the best for the moment.

Sure there was no immediate response, but imagine if there was one...Israel and the media would have spun it as justification to intensify the strikes on Syria. Unfortunately for Israel, Syria did not take the bait. Assad is smarter than that and I am sure he is getting advice from Russia on how to react to these incidents.

Israel is the only country in the region who gets away with these kind of preemptive attacks, if Iran or Syria were to perform an airstrike on Israeli weapons caches that they believed to be a threat, all hell would break loose.

There is an obvious double standard in the region.

Hence why Assad did not immediately start firing missiles into Israel as retaliation.
edit on 5/20/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by deckdel
I think the bluff has been checked already when Israelis just flew in and bombed the Syrian capital.

Threat level provided by Syria is nilch. But Israel is friendly enough not touting this all around, and occasionally check in to keep Syria in bay, and in touch with reality.
The Circular Logic used by Israeli Supporters is Ironic to say the Least.
I quoted 2 Sentences from your Post, The FIRST sentence and the LAST sentence.

"Israelis just flew in and bombed the Syrian capital"
"But Israel is friendly enough"

PriceLess

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by creatives

Hello creatives, ATS Readers, Writers,

Yeah, this whole thing makes me go hmmmmm as well! Although one can not blame Syria for not wanting to be bombed any more either. Or like they aren't allowed to defend themselves.. duh!! Crazy isn't it?

Israel bombs the crap out of some place, in an ATTACK, and it is called defense...lol.

Next we will see this defensive announcement of missiles pointed at Tel Aviv, called an ATTACK, and give Israel the excuse to DEFEND.. err umm attack them AGAIN now...insane.

Your thoughts on the Dome of the Rock temple would be a real bad thing to happen.. It would make every Arab nation go foaming at the mouth mad at Israel. It would be something I would think Israel would NOT want, at least at this time frame. But, hey, you never know either!

Since the missile types mentioned in the "threat of a striking back" are supposed to be very accurate, I think it would be hard for Israel to say , hey one of Assads missiles veered off course.. Tel Aviv is a ways from Jerusalem.

I just HATE to see this stuff going on... poor folks getting caught in between the shooting going on, families, children.. argghhh, sick stuff.

There has been "talk" or rumors of Jerusalem being the fist world capital someday... the elites have it planned out supposedly according to some folks out there.. My gut says they probably do, but we peasants will never know til it happens.

Pravdaseeker

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

There is an obvious double standard in the region.
When the Largest,Most Capable Military, Posing as the World's Police is your Best Friend.
You will be Afforded that Luxury.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Hi Wrabbit2000, ATS Readers, Writers,

YEP, my thoughts too.... like Russia maybe told Assad, "Hey dude, I got your back if it hits the fan"???

The moving of 12 warships to Cyprus was a serious sign, or gesture by Russia.

More puzzle pieces missing as well... the above is a probable maybe..lol

Pravdaseeker

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Hi Clay2 Baraka, ATS Readers, Writers,

5 words to your 2 words on Iron Dome.. It Don't Work So Well.

Last time it was put into use an awful lot of missiles got through, its performance kinda sucked.

I think it would knock some of the missiles down, but all of them? No way..

Yes, things did get much more dangerous. But one could have said that the day Israel bombed Syria the first time. Then a few days later the big whopper of a bomb was turned loose...on Syria..

One does have to wonder how do such blatant double standards keep going on in the region.. it is embarrassing diplomatically, and sadly very deadly for those poor folks caught in between the squabbling governments forces.

Sad.

Pravdaseeker

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well.... After reading around a bit and seeing this is pretty widely covered. I'd say it's Israel's turn to have a moment of pause. I don't think Assad is kidding. I think he also knows what comes after his missile launch...and so on. These aren't stupid men. There is a lot more at play here than we're seeing from the public side, IMO.

This has big pieces missing, I'm thinking.

I agree.
But, I'm thinking there are political benefits across the board for different people with different goals... war is a great way to distract a public and boost a failing economy. People are more willing to sacrifice all kinds of things and sink back into a desperate state of survival when their nation and existence is under threat.

It could be in the interests of the USA to be at war - a real war, not an invasion for oil and strategy. If America were properly at war, with the threat of attack directly on the citizens, Obama could get away with almost anything. Domestic disagreements would be silenced almost overnight, and the entire country would mobilize to defend themselves against an aggressor.

Is it in the interests of Russia to be at war though? And how about China? They haven't really been in the news at all when it comes to this skirmish. North Korea is obviously an ongoing issue, but hardly anything close to the problem with Syria.

Ultimately, I don't think Syria is going to be firing anything at Israel any time soon. They know that the moment they do they will have Israel and the USA wiping out their military and government within hours. There is no way Syria would get out of that without the regime being destroyed. It would be suicide.

The threat is just that, a threat. Syria is bluffing and suggesting that if Israel strikes them again they'll strike back - they won't, they can't, because if they actually did they would be dead very quickly.

How Russia plays their part in this is going to be key though.

If they express military support for Syria at any point then you can pretty much start digging out that bomb shelter in the back yard. If it comes down to it, if Russia actually becomes a real guard dog for Syria, it would be the USA, Israel and NATO countries up against Iran, Syria and Russia.

It might start off with regional war, with battles over territory and strategical moves around the Middle East (for example, Russia targeting crucial staging points in Iraq and Afghanistan and claiming it's defensive, while also forcing back Americas dominance in the region - something they have been angry about for a long time), but it could very quickly escalate to a Russia/America war - and where does China and NK come into it then? AND What about Japan then?

I think a lot of this comes down to Russia and whether they have the appetite for a real war. Lets hope there is little/nothing in it for them to defend Syria with military power.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

Firing missiles on civilian targets is just cowardly. Why don't they (the Syrians) engage in air battle, or with air defense? The correct course of action is to engage aggressor, its forces, and not then shoot in the back with missiles.

My point being: right now, Syria is just a sitting duck. Nothing more. And they need to do something about that. First step would be to get some decent air defense missiles, and an early warning radar system. Upgrade air forces. And not that much think the missiles. Focus to shoot soldiers/pilots and not civilians.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Firing missiles on civilian targets is just cowardly. Why don't they (the Syrians) engage in air battle, or with air defense? The correct course of action is to engage aggressor, its forces, and not then shoot in the back with missiles.

But who says Assad would be hitting civilians any more than Israel says it's not hitting civilians?

Why should I trust that Israel is only targeting military infrastructure or that only serving Syrian military are being harmed, and then assume that anything Assad does is targeting civilians?

According to reports, the Tishreen missiles are highly accurate and can hit a specific target, so what if Syria targets a military building? They would be legitimate targets, wouldn't they?

I agree that attacking cities and towns is a war crime, obviously, and Assad is guilty of that as we have seen from reports of his earliest attacks on simple protesters when this all started. But lets not try to pretend that Syria targeting military sites in Israel is any less justified than Israel targeting military sites in Syria.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Hi guys

I'd just like to add that I think it's hitting breaking point over their, it seems Assad (the regime) is openly asking for help now. It's seemed to me so far that the regime was trying to handle things as much as possible by itself.

For instance I was watching BBC late last night, well early morning really and a lot of reporting of how this IS a religious war etc that's happening, it was also reporting massive Shi'ite "freedom fighters" or "Assad supporters" if you will movements are happening... Hezbollah ofcourse but also Iraqi's and other nations in the area.

Seems to me that the fight is definately stepping up now and I can guarantee that all eyes are focused on the holy land to see what happens, while Russia could easily move it's fleet north east to help cover any possible rear assault?

I'm fearful of the situation since escalation seems to be the dish of the day

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by pravdaseeker
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Hi Wrabbit2000, ATS Readers, Writers,

YEP, my thoughts too.... like Russia maybe told Assad, "Hey dude, I got your back if it hits the fan"???

The moving of 12 warships to Cyprus was a serious sign, or gesture by Russia.

More puzzle pieces missing as well... the above is a probable maybe..lol

Pravdaseeker
Russia has to m9ve thier ships ocassionaly to knock the rust and barnicals off.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by RAY1990
I'd just like to add that I think it's hitting breaking point over their, it seems Assad (the regime) is openly asking for help now. It's seemed to me so far that the regime was trying to handle things as much as possible by itself.

Yes, you're right, there are more groups arriving to join in, seeing it as an opportunity to form a more powerful alliance against Israel and the USA.

Hezbollah joins the fight

This is why it is becoming more dangerous for Israel, and why they might be backed into a corner and have no choice but to continue their assaults on Syrian weapons. This is the problem Israel has been talking about for the last few weeks - they cannot allow Hezbollah to have access to the kind of weaponry Assad now has, thanks to Russia, and they are terrified of a military collusion between the two, with Russia protecting both also.

Would the USA and NATO really step in to rescue Israel if Lebanon and Israel - backed by Russia - decided to take them out?

It's a frightening prospect, and I feel for those in Israel right now. But at the same time, this is what happens when you set up camp in the middle of someone else's home and then start stealing everything away from them claiming it's your right! Israel should not be surprised that the people they have been attacking, stealing from, victimizing and abusing for decades are now incredibly angry and would like to take the opportunity to get their land back.

If I were in Israel right now, I would be moving out of there without delay.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Yeah the feeling is mutual here too, I don't want Russia or any other nation to be involved in Syria's civil war but it's hardly a civil war anymore is it.

What is happening now is most likely what Israel has feared all along, if she escalates anymore she could see trouble on all her fronts like nothing Israel has seen for generations... A truely horrifying prospect in my opinion.

Russia is the key here as others have stated, watch how the bear acts and Israel reacts. Putin is not stupid and he's armies are not weak, people like to use Georgia as an example of how ancient Russian military is personally I think he used out dated forces on purpose in that case.

I don't think any nation would want this conflict to spiral but that being said actions speak louder than words and I'm looking at Isreal and how it will react to these new developments. I'd prefer calmer heads to prevail and less civilian deaths... doesn't look good at all now though and it's hardly an option to keep this clean at this point.

War, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

I don't think religion has anything to do with it. After all, Syria was a completely secular country, with everyone being free to practice their chosen religion. What we have been seeing is the West - US, UK and other NATO members - arming and supplying intel and logistics to fundamentalist fighters flooding in from other countries, who have been attacking people of ALL religions without any consideration for those freedoms previously enjoyed by the Syrian people.
What it IS about is removing both a state that stands up to Israel in the region and, perhaps more importantly for some, one that does not allow a foreign owned and operated central bank issuing money at interest to the government.

The situation in Syria is far from being a Civil War, as portrayed by much of the bank owned corporate media and our similarly paid for politicians. Israeli actions against Syria are designed simply to try and garner a response so that the US, UK and other NATO members can step in and protect Israel, who gets to play victim again.
The tired old story that they are attacking Syria to stop it passing chemical / biological or sophisticated weapons to Hezbollah is par for the course and can be used without having to provide one shred of physical evidence to back it up. It is also a breach of international law, but good luck to anyone thinking about bringing this up at the UN, when we have seen so many times in the past such breeches being ignored when it's us (or our alleged allies) carrying out those acts!

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

My point being: right now, Syria is just a sitting duck. Nothing more. And they need to do something about that. First step would be to get some decent air defense missiles, and an early warning radar system. Upgrade air forces. And not that much think the missiles. Focus to shoot soldiers/pilots and not civilians.

And why should Syria do any of this? You do know we are talking about Israel right? Israels specialty is attacking civilians just look at their track record in places like Gaza.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Syria is just a piss ant puppet nation for the big boys, they are expendable and a means to Iran. Simple as that. And yes the US would back Israel. The elite want Iran gone or under a more favorable government. You cant attack Iran with Syria at your back. You risk exposing your flank. Once Syria is dealt with then Iran will be next.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

And why should Syria do any of this? You do know we are talking about Israel right? Israels specialty is attacking civilians just look at their track record in places like Gaza.

Oh buster, once again ignoring the inconvenient evidence of Assad's military opening fire on peaceful protesters. Plenty of us remember exactly how the war in Syria started, and there are plenty of videos out there showing Assad's men, his jets, his helicopters attacking unarmed civilian populations.

Enough with the Assad cheer leading already, formulate some real opinions without feeling this incomprehensible need to defend atrocities just because the one committing them is anti-Israel

You're sounding more and more like a propagandist, just leaping to the defence of any nation standing up to Israel regardless of the complexities of the violence.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Anyone know why Russia is getting involved?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Yeah, they wont just shoot one off... I think this is more an indication that the next time something significant happens, they will respond.

Israelis strike the other week might have a been a bit much!

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by pravdaseeker

Reading these comments I think you do not understand the Israeli mentality.

I do!

A comment I just read;

"These missile batteries are but sitting ducks for the IAF.
This is precisely such a scenario the IAF has been training for, and I suspect, they are eager to prove their capabilities.
You see, Israel will not allow Russia or Iran to destroy her.
The commies need to understand, if Tel Aviv goes, so will Moscow and Teheran! What do they not understand about, "Never Again"? Are they MAD, or simply stupid?"

and

"If Israel goes-the whole world goes with it. Research "Israels Samson Option".
If this theory is correct (bearing in mind Israels massive Nuclear weopons capabilities ) , it is little wonder that Israel is treated with kid gloves and protected at any cost by the majority of countries around the world."

Now that gives you an idea about Israel's capability. Believe me they are not bluffing either!

Moral of the story???; Do not attempt any kind of serious missile attack on Israel, period!

Check out "The Samson Option" Guys!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join