I haver never implied that US has weaker education. No. US universities provide good education. Not many universities in the world are able to compete
with Ivy League education. MIT has probably the best science education in the world. Although we have to consider that US is not Ivy League alone.
There are many other good ones, although there are also some weaker universities. The overall level is higher than the world average though.
Yet, I do not agree at all with the costs. 40k a year is too much. In EU I can get a quality education from very reputable schools, which are on
similar level with top US universities. And I do not have to pay a dime for it.
There are several reasons why so many foreigners come to US to study.
1) They do not have to pay for it. There are so many scholarships and programs round here which cover the costs of US universities. I have already
found sponsors, who would pay my Phd at MIT without asking a dime back. Although I have not made my decision yet.
2) Requirements are a bit lower for foreigners in the sense, that US public education is much weaker on average. Here is no option of choosing. You
take all the math, physics, different languages. At the end even the average students can often be compared to US good ones (not the best of course),
as the requirements are much higher + due to getting more theoretical English it is easier for foreigners to do better at US tests. I did the SATs
some years ago, it was not very hard to be honest. The english was harder than I thought , but still managed a very high score compared to most who
have it as native language. I had 12 years of English and ended at proficiency level after high school, we had approached. The math part contained
easy exercies, but these needed fast thinking. We have 2,5 hour examination with 10 problems, which are very advanced and require lots of thinking and
calculations. It was the opposite, very easy problems and one did not have much time to do these. Kind of like the 9th grade examination round here,
only less time. 4 people I know have managed to get into Ivy League college and to be honest, academically they were not top students round here.
3) Attractive for foreigners. US has quite a reputation in the world. Everybody wants to go to US at least once in their lifetime.
4) Not very expensive to live at. US is less expensive than most of Europe. Living costs are far lower, especially on food and other consumer
products. The living in campus is usually paid with by the sponsors.
5) Strong universities. If I had a choice between a university in EU and an university in US, which similar levels, I would choose US.
There are many reasons why to go to US university for a foreigner.
edit on 20-5-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)