It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minnesota Becomes the Twelfth State to Sanction Same-Sex Marriage

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
A living will and trust takes care of most of these legal marriage concerns.

Marriage is a government contract. A living will and Trust are just two different forms of government contracts. You have just taken a different route. A marriage contract is not about the interpersonal relationship. It basically says that we have a trust and it conveys legal rights. It says nothing about the actual relationship or the terms therein.

And avoids the shameful display of asking the government for permission in the form of a marriage license.

Marriage is not asking the government for permission. I lived with my husband for a couple years as husband and wife before we married. I did not need the government's permission for anything. It just made things easier for our future (the legal Trust portion of our relationship) and it conveys rights and benefits that a simple Trust does not. Applying for a marriage license was not shameful at ALL for me. It was joyful!
Because of what marriage means TO ME, not to someone else or the state or the government.

If you want the government out of marriage, why do you so eagerly engage in other contracts with the government that give you permission to leave everything to your wife and respect your dying wishes? It's the same thing, as far as I can see.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yes, they are just other contracts. The major difference being that those non-marriage contracts dont care if a party is hetero/homo/transgendered/one or a dozen persons or even human.

Call the same agreements "marriage" and suddenly all these artificial rules apply that have no bearing whatsoever on the force of those contracts.

Ideally no contracts would be necessary. The only reason any are is because if you dont use force of law to mandate your property go to someone else government will come in and just take it. Even if you use force of law government uses greater force to take half of your property thereby preventing it from going to your loved ones.

No permission needed to live together. Permission needed to marry. Go down to the town hall, fill out some forms, pay a fee and wait for government to approve like my name is Kunta Kinte. You may have liked that. I find it insulting.

In the end if government werent involved at all none of this would be needed at all by anyone anywhere because people could co-habitate with whoever they please and leave their property to whoever they please without fear of some external aggressor coming in and deciding whats best for it over your cold corpse and your weeping partner(s).
edit on 25-6-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Thank you for your response.

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Yes, they are just other contracts. The major difference being that those non-marriage contracts dont care if a party is hetero/homo/transgendered/one or a dozen persons or even human.

Good point. I think the marriage contract shouldn't have so many restrictions, either. Consenting adults should be the only one, IMO. But I guess we all have valid opinions on this.

Go down to the town hall, fill out some forms, pay a fee and wait for government to approve like my name is Kunta Kinte.

I guess I didn't see it as government "approval" any more than when I entered into a deal with the government to drive a car. A license is necessary and it's a good idea to know the rules of the road, before using them. I see it as an agreement between two parties.

In the end if government werent involved at all none of this would be needed at all by anyone anywhere because people could co-habitate with whoever they please and leave their property to whoever they please without fear of some external aggressor coming in and deciding whats best for it over your cold corpse and your weeping partner(s).

I have no argument with that.

new topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join