It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahoo Tumblr Purchase Approved- $1.1billion Cash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Yahoo Tumblr Purchase Approved- $1.1billion Cash

www.huffingtonpost.com

Yahoo's board of directors has approved a deal to buy the popular blogging platform Tumblr, the Wall Street Journal reports.

According to the WSJ, it will pay $1.1 billion in cash for the site. The potential purchase was originally report by the technology blog AllThingsD on Thursday, which also cited the same cash figure.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I hope Tumblr will remain largely independent of Yahoo. I seem to remember Yahoo having extensive security issues over the past year.

As someone that has a popular blog on Tumblr, I'd like not to see the security jeopardized by this acquisition.

I can only imagine what this is going to do in the way of adds and changes to personalized blog formats. Yahoo is paying a staggering sum of money, so they have to be planning on capitalizing on the individual blogs in some manner.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Actually I think this is a good thing, especially if they make it better integrated with the likes of Flickr.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
They are buying brand name and image alone.

You could build a far better product for less than 1 million if competition was the goal.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
RIP Tumblr.

Might also be time to become paranoid as a user.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Big company buys Big company...Eventually one company will own the internet......AND YOU!...

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
You're failing to mention that Tumblr will reject the offer. Source

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CrashUnderride

I didn't see that Tumblr had rejected the offer in any of the articles about this - at the time of my post. Glad they didn't accept.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I'm surprised that Yahoo! has a billion in cash to spend... yahoo.com was a cool start page in 1996, but today? Yawn.

And if it goes through, sympathies to Tumblr users -- I'm trying to think of any service that Yahoo! purchased that they haven't bollocksed up. Those guys couldn't integrate a hot dog and a bun.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Social Media is a nascent bubble. Tumblr is not worth a billion dollars. I personally use it and enjoy it, but there is no way it is worth a billion dollars. They haven't even figured out to effectively integrate advertising throughout the entire site. There is no profit model, in fact, I have to hear of any serious profit figures from Tumblr itself. 13 million for 2012 has been thrown around, Tumblr execs said they hope to make 100 million this year. Considering we don't know their operating costs, I'd say it's foolish to proclaim they are worth over a billion dollars.
edit on 19-5-2013 by antonia because: opps

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Well, well... the deal went through.

Yahoo release: 'Per the agreement and our promise not to screw it up, Tumblr will be independently operated as a separate business'

finance.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
Social Media is a nascent bubble. Tumblr is not worth a billion dollars. I personally use it and enjoy it, but there is no way it is worth a billion dollars. They haven't even figured out to effectively integrate advertising throughout the entire site. There is no profit model, in fact, I have to hear of any serious profit figures from Tumblr itself. 13 million for 2012 has been thrown around, Tumblr execs said they hope to make 100 million this year. Considering we don't know their operating costs, I'd say it's foolish to proclaim they are worth over a billion dollars.
edit on 19-5-2013 by antonia because: opps

50 million blogs with of 20 billion posts.

Tumblr generates more pageviews a month than Wikipedia, while it has around 100 million visitors worldwide (4 times less), over 15 billion pageviews a month.

They might not be using their ad service well, although it has huge potential and huge userbase. If the system was developed further 1,1 billion is quite and quite a bargain considering tumblr is in the top20 most-viewed websites in the world. If ads were used very well, the potential earnings could skyrocket.

The potential and brand of the site are reasons enough to pay such amount for it. It is quite a bargain, although as far I see, yahoo is focusing on cash payment, which is a strong argument for closing the deal.

edit on 20-5-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
www.calgaryherald.com...

Actually they did buy it?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cabin

They might not be using their ad service well, although it has huge potential and huge userbase. If the system was developed further 1,1 billion is quite and quite a bargain considering tumblr is in the top20 most-viewed websites in the world. If ads were used very well, the potential earnings could skyrocket.

Facebook gets more page views and even they can't figure their ads out. I don't think it bodes well for tumblr considering Yahoo's ads are pretty much a joke at this point. The only reason Yahoo moved on it is simply because there was nothing else to buy and they are in so much trouble they are willing to do almost anything at this point. They may buy Hulu as well from what I hear. Hopefully they don't run tumblr into the ground like they did flickr.

new topics

top topics

join