It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obsessive Debunking Disorder (ODD)?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

For my money, best reply yet. All labeling is a big mistake; gross labeling intolerable. Personally, I don't think there is sufficient skepticism among the populace. Anyone who counters what I say with an offhanded "tin foil hat present" or "there goes another conspiracy theorist" is not suitable as a discussion partner. Their only ammunition consists of labels. Nope, time to move on.

Besides, inasmuch as government and their puppeteers are conspiring against the populace on a regular basis, such labels merely reflect the intelligence of those spewing them.

Check out almost any piece of legislation and you'll find the major benefactor is not the people but those pulling the strings. That is a conspiracy pure and simple. That politicians reserve the best for themselves whilst denying the needs of the people is conspiratorial. When politicians send young men and women to war while doing everything possible to keep friends and members of their own families out of the fray, that's conspiratorial. When politicians start wars for purposes of winning the spoils for themselves (which is the case in all wars), and ensuring that those who actually fight their wars get nothing, that's conspiratorial.

When government has a story they want me to swallow, I know that if I disbelieve them, my chances of being right far exceed the chances that they're giving me the real goods.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It's an attitude problem, like a phase. Most of the time the person with debunkeritis, or obsessive debunking disorder, will have other personality disorders, which I don't care to explore because psychology is a never ending black hole. If it's a he, he will be in late teens early 20s, either an atheist or chaos magician, probably has a small criminal record, likely washes away memories of past mistakes with booze or drugs. He will have a decent relationship with his mother, despite his reputation as a troublemaker, but his father may be distant. May have hacker friends, may be in college, with an ego to push himself into high grades. Has fantasies of being recognized by peers as a sociopath.

Jason Holmes was an obsessive debunker in his teens. See where debunking gets you? Delusional that the rules of cause and effect don't apply to you. They become obsessive, trying to debunk the decisions in college, trying to debunk the federal laws too.

Now if it's a she, she will be two years younger than the forum regulations allow, still in grade school, have strong opinions for rainbows and unicorns, part of an upper to middle class household with parents that would flame the forum if ever someone made their little angel cry.

One of the most popular phrases used by an obsessive debunker is "Occam's Razor". Others include "pics or it didn't happen", "faked", and "photoshopped". The logical fallacies are used, often many in the same sentence. The bottom of their debunking efforts is to win an argument not to develop an understanding of another person's assertions.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
"Debunking" isn't the problem, most people are glad to find out the truth about stuff. Its "obsessive denial disorder" that creates problems.

Great, now we have two terms to use.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SquirrelNutz

"Debunking" isn't the problem, most people are glad to find out the truth about stuff. Its "obsessive denial disorder" that creates problems.

Great, now we have two terms to use.

Wait... theres three. Read the post under mine (OBD):

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

reply to post by B1rd1nFL1ghT

ETA: Its just that when I saw your avatar, I couldn't help myself..

edit on 20-5-2013 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

Good catch

That was kinda the point

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
There are 2 other disorders that should be considered.

1/ Believing everything you see on the internet, especially a youtube video.

2/ Making stuff up to post on the internet so the gullible believe it.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Really we all suffer from ODD self included when ever one's ideals,beliefs,morals,and standards are subject matter that presents itself in opposition to you the interpreter you the reader you the watcher you the inquisitor it is inevitable to fall under such a diagnosis.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Inverse Negation Fallacy (of Presumption)

The strategy of undermining any study, proponent, media byte, article, construct, data, observation, effort or idea which does not fit one’s favored model, in a surreptitious effort to promote that favored model without tendering the appearance of doing so; nor undertaking the risk of exposing that favored model to the scientific method or to risky critical scrutiny.

edit on 21-5-2013 by TheEthicalSkeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghostcooler

I finally took the time to come back and read through most of this thread. I posted this to provoke thought about beliefs and how we all have core beliefs that are hard to shake and what happens when those beliefs are shaken. I believe you are the only one that picked up that this is a universal problem without trying to separate yourself from the problem. Others tried to distance themselves as being part of the issue while trying to make the same point as you...Bravo I wish I could give you more than one star.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join