It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's with all the ticks this year?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Last year and this year, there have been an unbelievable amount of ticks. I live in a suburban community, not a rural area.

In the last two days, I have seen almost 20 ticks. TWENTY. I live in buffalo, new york. I hear it's because the mouse population is down. WTF.

Another thing I want to bring up here is the insane amount of dead birds I'm finding. Robins, sparrows, grackles, everything. Just crazy.

Anyone else noticing a big upswing it ticks?

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The same thing is happening in the UK and it is so the experts say due to a prolonged wet spell.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
One little trick I've found that works before walking out in infested woods or open areas? Get the flea/tick collars they make for dogs and cats and use one around each ankle and then wrist, like bracelets. It might be a hassle, but far less than getting ticks out, in my experience.

The insects in Missouri have been coming on strong too. I'd hoped the late freeze would have caught some by surprise...but no such luck.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I refuse to put something like K9 Advantix on my dog. Go read amazon reviews, its killed several dogs.They just drop dead a day or two later.

We're looking at making a natural tick repellent. I'd rather deal with ticks than poison my dog. We were using frontline, but it didn't do a damn thing. We pulled 12 ticks off her last week, and we weren't in the woods, we were in my apartment complex yard. So not wasting money on that BS.
edit on 19-5-2013 by DarwinVsJesus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
They are the most abundant I've Ever seen them...in my neck o the woods.

What's more, they are developing resistance to a number of the top, veterinary prescribed flea/tick repellants for domestic animals.

Very aggravating as these disgusting lill buggers carry a host of diseases and parasites.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
One little trick I've found that works before walking out in infested woods or open areas? Get the flea/tick collars they make for dogs and cats and use one around each ankle and then wrist, like bracelets. It might be a hassle, but far less than getting ticks out, in my experience.

The insects in Missouri have been coming on strong too. I'd hoped the late freeze would have caught some by surprise...but no such luck.

I use this method when in deep woods or thick brush. I would add a *Note Of Caution*

Place the collars over clothing/socks/pant legs. The ingredients in these flea and tick collars can cause nasty skin irritation and possible allergic reactions over prolonged exposure to bare skin.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The ticks are bad down here in Arkansas too, cant even walk to the garden without being covered in them. What is worse are those C ticks which are big as a grain of sand.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DarwinVsJesus

Not this year.

But about 5 years ago they were really, really bad here. I was spray painting some baseboards with primer in my back yard before painting them with paint. By the time i got to the middle, the end i started on would be dry. So i rested it on the ground. When i finished the fourth one i looked back at the first three that were already done.

There they sat in a row behind me, one end on the ground, the other end propped on the backyard fence. They were covered in ticks. The 6 foot boards had the half on the ground covered in about a hundred ticks per board.

I suspended the project after looking at a bare patch of ground, and actually seeing about a dozen ticks moving on the ground. I was horrified (we hadn't yet moved into the house, and were doing some minor repair/renovation stuff). I ran to the nursery I do business with and had them give me the treatment they recommend. Had to buy a sprayer, too. Stopped and got treatment for the dogs, too, before they moved in.

That summer we treated the yard 4 times, just to help keep the hoards of ticks under reasonable control. The dogs wouldn't sit, but they did walk. So after every "potty outside" they did, we would flip them over and get ticks out of their paws and off their bellies.

top topics

join