Honeybees trained in Croatia to find land mines!

page: 1

join

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Honeybees trained in Croatia to find land mines
AP May. 19 7:31 AM EDT

Nikola Kezic, an expert on the behavior of honeybees, sat quietly together with a group of young researchers on a recent day in a large net tent filled with the buzzing insects on a grass field lined with acacia trees. The professor at Zagreb University outlined the idea for the experiment: Bees have a perfect sense of smell that can quickly detect the scent of the explosives. They are being trained to identify their food with the scent of TNT.

"Our basic conclusion is that the bees can clearly detect this target, and we are very satisfied," said Kezic, who leads a part of a larger multimillion-euro program, called "Tiramisu," sponsored by the EU to detect land mines on the continent.

Several feeding points were set up on the ground around the tent, but only a few have TNT particles in them. The method of training the bees by authenticating the scent of explosives with the food they eat appears to work: bees gather mainly at the pots containing a sugar solution mixed with TNT, and not the ones that have a different smell.

Kezic said the feeding points containing the TNT traces offer "a sugar solution as a reward, so they can find the food in the middle."

bigstory.ap.org...

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Why can't we leave insects out of our wars? Humans should be responsible for cleaning up the mess we created. Besides with the way bees are dying off we should leave them alone.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Why can't we leave insects out of our wars? Humans should be responsible for cleaning up the mess we created. Besides with the way bees are dying off we should leave them alone.

I don't share similar thoughts with you, I'm beekeeper and very much love bees but think is acceptable to use one bee community for that very important thing ..

Landmines is very hard to find in inaccessible areas, not to mention the expense and danger of findings mines ..

If you live in places where have many landmines believe me you will change your opinion ..

For example if we or I use only one bees community from my 50 bees community's and give them little dose of TNT with sugar and train them for me it's not big deal, bees live only some two months except queen ..

Probably pesticide are more dangerous from some low doses of TNT ..

We all lose every year many community's also image how much bees community's dies from poisoning
by pesticide or cellphones frequencies etc ..

Think this is great discovery and I will probably in future also try this method with one community, war is over here but landmines are still in ground and will be until they are destroyed ..
edit on 19-5-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

Just because they have a short lifespan it's ok to use them any way we please? Why not train convicts who have life in prison how to do this instead? No great loss if they get killed. Mankind should have to clean up their own mess.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Some informative videos ..

MASS BEES DIE-OFF: Global Food Crisis - Thousands Of Bees Suddenly Die In Winthrop, Minnesota?!
May 18, 2013

edit on 19-5-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

join