It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! Muscovy Duckling Refugee Assistance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Ok so literally about 30 minutes ago me and the family were just hanging by the pool enjoying a Sunny Florida evening and saw a mother Muscovy Duck with a single chick following close by, still in its fuzzy yellow and brown down fuzz. Suddenly the Bitch flew away! Little thing started panicking running to the nearby other Muscovy Ducks for shelter. I seen this before. After a minute of panicked cuddling they started to get too annoyed and began to peck at it. Not like shooing him away but literally grabbing it and tossed it away. then as it tried to run they chased it down and continued their attempt to cannibalize the poor little fellow. Now I was perfectly content watching this Tampa edition of Discovery Channel, but my girlfriend wants to be all humane and whatnot. I say "baby, this is just the natural order of things. A thousand baby ducks were very likely cannibalized all over Florida today, its just nature."

She was not feeling that so I am volunteered by the family to play God and intervene. Now she's all like, hey what are you going to do with it, to which I say "hey, circle of life does bother me, but if you are going to intervene then you have to make it your pet. That's the option I gave her, pet duck or recycled bio-matter for the fat greedy mafia ducks.

Anyone ever had to do this before, I going to run to Wal-Mart and pick up a heat lamp for the time being. Got him in our laundry basket lined with plastic, layered with a couple of old shirts, and some outdoor rubbish like leaves, bark, and acorn pieces. Luckily my boy just made a bird nest in a bowl for his kindergarten project and he is thrilled putting it to use with the moss inside and all.

Any tips on feeding???

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I had a wild pet duck, freaking amazing it was too, it used to chase the cats out of the garden

and used to sit on my shoulder and steal food of my fork as I tried to feed MYSELF

Get some bread and milk for now and then go get some proper food as soon as possible.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Chopped grain mash...know any moonshiners?
Mix with milk.....should work...
If not try soft catfood from a pouch pak.and milk .it worked for my baby sparrows....all three of em...

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Very hard duck to raise, terrible as pets. They grow so freakin fast and then get mean. Ive seen one 7 months old attack a fox and win no problem. Gave mine away to a farmer who didnt know any better. Then the farmer ate it. Srry for the truth, this will be a doozy.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

\
I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but you know they are considered a non-native nuisance species?

FL F&W Commission- Nuisance Muscovy Ducks

Muscovies are protected by Florida Statute 828.12 regarding animal cruelty. However, because these birds originated in Florida from domestic stock, they are not considered "wildlife." As of March 31st, 2010 a federal control order is in effect that allows control by landowners, wildlife management agencies, and tenants, agents, or employees without federal or state permits, and prohibits the release of muscovies

People often wonder about moving the problem muscovies to other areas. We consider feral domestic ducks to be undesirable in the wild because of their potential to transmit diseases to or interbreed with Florida's native waterfowl. To minimize these problems, Florida Statute 379.231 prohibits the release of exotic animals, including muscovies. Therefore, relocating muscovies into a wild situation is not a legitimate or appropriate solution to nuisance problems. You could, however, move muscovies to a captive situation where they would not come into contact with wildlife and would not escape.

Muscovy ducks, like other domestic animals, are considered private property. If someone claims ownership, the birds are the owner's to do with as he or she pleases, so long as Florida Statute 828.12 regarding animal cruelty is not violated. Similarly, if the muscovies have no owner, no state or federal law prohibits their capture and humane euthanization. This can be a last resort to resolve a nuisance problem.

So - as a FL game warden once told me to boil it all down. They are considered a non-native nuisance species and as long as you are not cruel about they actually would just as soon you get rid of them. Note the laws above - its not against the law to capture. But it *is* against the law to release it.

If you are going to keep it, I'd suggest a small wading pool. Ducks don't just like water - ducks *need* water.

These should get you going -
Tips For Raising Ducks and Ducklings

Rasing baby ducks

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Well it a little late for pest control, as this is the most common duck I see in urban Florida. I'm only keeping it until its old enough to fend for itself, and then letting it go, laws be damned. You can quote that to FWC if it is that concerning to you.

Honestly I have contemplated eating it if it ends up being a drake. They get really fat and meaty when they mature. Might make an excellent Thanksgiving entrée
would be the right timing too.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Easy dude - I'm just passing along what I know. Yes, I know they are everywhere and I personally don't care what you do with it.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
yea my bad. I forget statements don't sound as nice when written down. Its sleeping in the room now. I put a heat rock layered over with some old shirts for heat, but it wont get burned.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

No worries - glad its doing good. Check out the links I posted - they do have good info on taking care of ducklings - and just to show there is no hard feelings - found this for ya.

South Florida Muscovy Ducks - Raising Muscovy Ducklings

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

I got him a nice flood light with red filter on it pointing on one corner so it can stay nice and warm. I put a small ceramic dish with only a little water so he doesn't make a mess with a tiny water bottle for him to drink from and allow excess to run into the dish for washing his beak and face. I collected a variety of small lawn clippings and dandelions and other tiny grass flowers to mix in with his pieces of bread that I threw in there. I plan on foraging for some acorns in the morning to crush up the flesh inside and mix with his grass. I have seen the adult ducks eat them with quite a fervor so I figure the chick might enjoy some too.

I'll see about getting a picture up later just for fun.

That page you linked really helped out. As far as imprinting though, I wonder since it has already been spending time with its mother only to be abandoned today, will it still be imprinted as a duck or will it eventually re-imprint itself with human??? I am going to simply check the feed store later in the week and see what they have to say about it.
edit on 5/18/2013 by DYepes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Somebody gave us a grown Muscovy and he was mean to the other ducks and not friendly with us either - so my Mom cooked Charlie. None of us could eat that bird.

You could raise the little guy and set him free when he is grown.

Good for you for having compassion.

edit on 5/19/2013 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

top topics

join