It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feeling a Pull Towards England

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Things to remember when coming over here

Theres a Letter U in a lot of words

Theres no guns by default so if you are a person who's used to their own protection via firearms then thats a minus

We drive on the other side of the road, not a great thing but a few moments of a brain fart and whammo under a 40 ton truck

The McDonalds portions are tiny compared to the states

BUT we have loads of history as you'll probably go no more than a few miles without hitting somewhere thats over a 1000 years old

and ignore town centres on a friday/saturday night as its generally gonna be full of rat arsed people looking for a fight and you won't have your .45 to help

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
For me it's Germany. We bought a house there and stay about twice per year of varying lengths of time.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I find this post really funny! Only because I thought you were English! I dont know where I got that from but I assumed that you were English, it was'nt until recently skimming past one of your posts that I realized you were American
I was shocked.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Chris

Just gotta watch out for those Cresswells in Hull! ;-)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha

I find this post really funny! Only because I thought you were English! I dont know where I got that from but I assumed that you were English, it was'nt until recently skimming past one of your posts that I realized you were American
I was shocked.

LOL....I wonder why?

I'll never forget my first weekend at Oxford. Went for a walk in a gorgeous park, and met a little old woman by the entrance gate. Before I could greet her, she took one look at me and said, "You're American!"

Blew my mind. Later on, I figured out it was probably the way I dressed.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I was shocked.

LOL....I wonder why?

I'll never forget my first weekend at Oxford. Went for a walk in a gorgeous park, and met a little old woman by the entrance gate. Before I could greet her, she took one look at me and said, "You're American!"

Blew my mind. Later on, I figured out it was probably the way I dressed.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Be sure to visit Scotland on your next trip. You will love the countryside,the history and as someone else mentioned the art. I have always felt drawn to the far east especially Japan, never had the chance to visit though.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
The grass is always greener, as you yourself are saying by making the suggestion that things are better in the USA.
This is all objective though, isn't it? It's all about personal opinion and experiences.
Precisely! My opinion, your opinion, who's to say which of us is wrong!

Yet, there are still a lot of idiots here in this country who seem to think that the Muslim population has somehow wrestled control of our government away from us!? How exactly?
People screaming about the immigrants to the UK seem to ignore that this is STILL one of the most liberal countries, despite the Conservatives calling the shots. We still do not have religious groups making major decisions. We don't have radical Muslims deciding ANYTHING, and in fact there is more influence from Christian bigots than any other!
I never mentioned Muslims or immigrants anywhere in my post!

I would say that people need to think long and hard about moving somewhere and consider the future and not just how things are now.
It's thinking of the future that makes people like me think about moving! Some of us are more than capable of seeing where we're headed.

But there are a hell of a lot of places that a far worse off than the UK, and the idiotic right-wing tabloid readers need to educate themselves a little, look out of the window, read something other than the Daily Fail and realize that 90% of those "evil Muslims" are not extremists in the slightest, and have less influence over our country than right-wing Christian fanatics.

I don't read tabloids or any other form news paper. I don't even own a television.
My gripe with this country has NOTHING to do with "evil Muslims", my gripe is the full on corruption of every government I've had to endure since the day I was born, and that was back in the 50's

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I can understand your "appeal." I haven't had the feeling but have so desired to visit Europe since mid-school. My partner is a Brit and I have worked for a UK publishing house and visit Irish Pubs a lot...earlier in life.

Today - I feel like running next week to get our "papers in order" to make the jump across the pond due to the status quo of our government.

We never had money to travel at all; for me I have only heard of the beauty and seen it through the net; always have loved what I have seen. Seems that the change of American life could be good after the constant grind of just existing; and Europe seems like the perfect expat landing - especially with my own private life/tour guide!

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I used to be fascinated with England
Moved there, lived there 5 years
Moved back
Still fascinated with the UK. was a good time. differences for sure, and when your over there for prolonged periods you do miss things over here, but that's with any place you go. Enjoy where your at wherever your at, because ultimately wherever you go, you got yourself to deal with...and if your not comfy with yourself, change in scenery won't fix anything.

But yeah. I enjoyed my time there.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Hi Smylee - I'm English and it's true, there are beautiful parts of England that are unique in their atmosphere, York, Oxford, Cambridge, Bath to name a few. I think it's a wonderful place if you can visit and not be affected by all the politics and some of the social problems there. The Lake District ( especially Grasmere ) is so atmospheric, you really should try to spend some tine in Scotland too - it's very rugged and beautiful and feels 'away from it all'. If you can pick and choose where to go in UK it can be wonderful. (feeling homesick now!)

I felt the same 'calling' to come and live in Jordan. I feel I am meant to be here - unsure why but there's something about the nights here, sitting on a bean bag under the stars listening to Arabic music in the warm desert breeze that appeals to my soul and yet it couldn't be further away from where and how I was raised in the English countryside!
If you can, follow your 'calling' or at least try it....hopefully you will find, at the very least, contentment.

All the best x

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Oh I have been to England. They put three miniscule slices of meat between two slices of bread and call it a sandwich. What they call fish and chips I call grease and greasy fries.

The people were great - but if you had to live there for a week you'd be crying for home.
Actually - I did and I did.

As Dorothy said - "There is no place like home" - at least we won't starve here.

Joe

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Let me add this - the b*stards actually charge you for catch-up packs - and no ice in a coke - it was TERRIBLE for food there.

Joe

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I understand you, and you don't know how much I do.
I have been a lil' bit obsessed with going to the UK since I was little. It resurfaced in 2009, as I really had a good chance to go there to live, but my finances collapsed and it's 2013 and I'm still here in Chile. Now, there's another window of opportunity, but at least 8 years in the future. For living, maybe sooner as a tourist. I really need (yes, NEED) to spend a long vacations in Scotland, even when I barely understand their spelling! hahaha (my native language is spanish, I speak english very fluent, but... I really don't get the scottish accent...)

It's weird, because I have this feeling for Croatia (family roots i think) and India too. Lately, I have caught myself listening daily to indian music (pop music and traditional music), and my personal pantheon of deities turned to hinduism. Still, this feeling is different. I really don't belong here... and my heart don't stop telling me I should be there instead.

(btw, sorry if my english sounds rusty, I have been away from english forums for a while, like 1 year, maybe more. Lately, I've used english just for speaking and my syntax is terrible now. I apologise for this)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Come to the biggest and best county in England, North Yorkshire, the city of York is on my doorstep, and is steeped in history...Roman, Norman, Viking, etc...

And I certainly wouldn't swap our weather for the endless sunshine some countries have. The weather is always a main talking / greeting conversation among us Brits !

( Too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, etc.) We're never happy for long !

Comes of being a small island with fast changing weather systems...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by CJCrawley
reply to post by Aleister

The fact is that England swings like a pendulum do, bobbies on bicycles two by two.

When Roger Miller said that back in 1965, it was probably an accurate portrayal of England at the time.

I remember bobbies 'on the beat'...one on his own walking the streets, sometimes two together.

Before mass immigration ruined everything.

Ah, take me back...

Hello, what Roger Miller song is this? If you know off the top of your head...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Hey, my VERY FIRST thread was about the same thing!!!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
This thread has given me an idea

maybe we should start an ATS holiday houseswap service!

I'll go first. I live in a one bedroom riverfront apartment in Northern Ireland. Fast Internet Connection, ten minute walk to the centre of town where you can walk around our historic city walls, crap weather so far this year...... looking to swap for somewhere sunny for ten days :-)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

This thread has given me an idea

maybe we should start an ATS holiday houseswap service!

I'll go first. I live in a one bedroom riverfront apartment in Northern Ireland. Fast Internet Connection, ten minute walk to the centre of town where you can walk around our historic city walls, crap weather so far this year...... looking to swap for somewhere sunny for ten days :-)

Come to North Carolina! I've got a finished basement complete with bed and bath...meals on me....and its guaranteed to be sunny. Hot days! We can go canoeing down the river, shopping at the outlets (
) or camping in the mountains.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Mine is Italy, I like near London and I love to go there on days out to shop and drink and visit London dungeons ext you know but Italy, when I am there I feel at home, relaxed at peace. just an amazing county.
Lake Garda is stunning, Rome is busy but beautiful. Let’s see what the Amalfi Coast has to offer latter this year!
also you can J-walk over here its awsome!
when I went to New York it was hard not to..
edit on 20-5-2013 by ototheb85 because: wrong face

<< 1  2    4 >>

join