It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Vilify the Ego

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

It sounds like a self-referential feedback loop which begins with nothing and ends with nothing, and all in the eternal now.

I think I am not fully appreciating the appeal of this perspective, though I am trying to keep an open mind.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarryTZ
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

There is never a 'why' in creation; only a 'how'.

Creation endowed us with the natural ability to ask "why"...........so it cannot be wrong...........

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysticnoon
reply to post by HarryTZ

It sounds like a self-referential feedback loop which begins with nothing and ends with nothing, and all in the eternal now.

I think I am not fully appreciating the appeal of this perspective, though I am trying to keep an open mind.

Begins with nothings, ends with nothing... This is the basis for all of life.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE

Creation endowed us with the natural ability to ask "why"...........so it cannot be wrong...........

'Why' is a physical utterance with an artificial definition, used by speakers of the English language to question the reasoning or motive for a certain phenomena or happening. It, or its meaning, had no relevance before the existence of humans.
edit on 21-5-2013 by HarryTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

'Why' is a physical utterance with an artificial definition, used by speakers of the English language to question the reasoning or motive for a certain phenomena or happening. It, or its meaning, had no relevance before the existence of humans.

Really? So a deaf mute who has never learned to speak, read or write will never wonder the "why" about something? We have been given this ability independent of the artificial construct of language, so I say again, it must have a purpose, this ability to ask "why" and "reason". Are you saying creation is wrong?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Really? So a deaf mute who has never learned to speak, read or write will never wonder the "why" about something? We have been given this ability independent of the artificial construct of language, so I say again, it must have a purpose, this ability to ask "why" and "reason". Are you saying creation is wrong?

Existence is not right or wrong - it just is.
The human condition is the result of why so you are correct when you say that the ability to ask why must have a purpose - it divides that which is whole so it can dream a dream of separation.
Man is the only species that is divided from God (wholeness) - the presence of the lord is here presently but man lives in time because he fears the end of his existence. Man asks why because he fears.
There is only presence and presence will never end because it never began.
edit on 21-5-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

This is simply untrue and make-believe—all ideas implanted from external sources. There is no "true you" but what you already are every waking moment. What you're describing is someone in a coma. Comatose humans are not "true humans".

Even though ATS member "Itsnowagain" has covered the majority of points that I would have argued, and has my back on this (thanks in advance bro), I'll give me take from going within, getting to know thyself for the last 14+ years, observing self and others, checking out Mysticism, Buddhism, Christianity, etc...... here's my take.

The REAL: YOU, is Awareness, the Observer that is within. (Which has a source as well)

The Ego, Thinker of thoughts, is NOT THE REAL YOU.

There is a very VERY fine border between the two and the majority 99.9% are wrapped in ego and do not know the Awareness/Observer to be the real self.

It requires a shift, and awakening of various sorts to realize this. If you don't realize this then it is only natural that a person will defend the ego and claim that is a person. But it's not

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

'Wrong' in relation to what? Do you not realize that 'purpose' is a human creation? If I tell you that X is the purpose of life, you could retort by asking, what is the purpose of X? This would go on ad infinitum, and you would be no closer to the truth. Existence exists without purpose. Purpose is of no concern to it, it is beyond purpose. Accept this and you will be that much closer to mergence with truth.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

Existence exists without purpose. Purpose is of no concern to it, it is beyond purpose. Accept this and you will be that much closer to mergence with truth.

I give purpose to my existence. That is my gift as a human being. Your existentialism garbage means nothing to me because I have chosen to be something.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

But without the ego, I am nothing because there is nothing to be aware of. I am empty space surrounded by everything.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Existentialism? What else is there, besides what exists? Your failure to recognize the pointlessness of existence is only holding you back. Humans cower behind their concepts of 'purpose' and 'reason'. They are not real. When you put 'purpose' into the picture, you are limiting yourself. I must do this and only this, or I have failed! It takes true courage to live purposelessly. This is enlightenment.

The great yogi Sadhguru puts it perfectly:

"So, this tiny speck asking the question: ‘Why creation,’ does not make sense because the question doesn’t come from the right context. This question comes up because somewhere the experience of life has not become blissful. If the experience of life had become blissful, you would not ask. Somewhere existing here has become a struggle and a pain.

The question comes up because there is an inner struggle. Maybe you are not hundred percent aware of the struggle, but here and there it touches you. So now, the more intelligent question for you would be: How do I get beyond this struggling state? If you ask how, I have a way. If you ask why, then I have to tell you a story.

If you want I can tell you one right now. One day, Shiva had nothing to do and he was playing marbles – nobody else, no company. One marble fell this way and it became planet Earth. Another one shot up and it became the Sun; I can go on like this. Now you won’t believe this ridiculous story. But if I make the story more elaborate, and if the story is not told today, but a thousand years ago, you would believe it. You don’t believe anything that happens today, but you will believe it after a thousand years. It doesn’t matter what it is.
"

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by dominicus

But without the ego, I am nothing because there is nothing to be aware of. I am empty space surrounded by everything.

That is exactly correct. You are nothing. You are not 'surrounded' by empty 'space' (there is no space in the Absolute). You cannot be surrounded by everything because you are everything. And everything is nothing.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
*double post, don't know what's wrong with my computer*

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

Existentialism? What else is there, besides what exists? Your failure to recognize the pointlessness of existence is only holding you back.

Existence is precisely as pointless as how you use it. From the way you speak, I can surmise that you've been wasting your time trying to invalidate the potential of your existence. In that sense, you have chosen to make your existence meaningless. That's not because it is inherently meaningless, it's because - again - you've chosen to make it meaningless. So it applies to you, and you alone.

Humans cower behind their concepts of 'purpose' and 'reason'. They are not real. When you put 'purpose' into the picture, you are limiting yourself. I must do this and only this, or I have failed! It takes true courage to live purposelessly. This is enlightenment.

No. It takes weakness to excuse your lack od productivity through the claim that there is no purpose to existence. You are excusing your weakness by claiming there is no reason to be strong. Give yourself a reason, and your weakness becomes clear. But that's why you've chosen not to give yourself a reason.

edit on 21-5-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I choose to exist pointlessly, blissfully. I do not desire to spend my time rationalizing pointlessness, I choose to live it. And a rich, unboundless life it is.

You say I am trying to justify my lack of productivity... What is there to produce? Why must I waste my time doing, when life is about being? But I am not you. If you desire to live in constant sensual stimulation, that is your choice. But you are missing a great silence, a great stillness that is life. When does the planning, organizing, stressing, worrying end, and life begin?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

I choose to exist pointlessly, blissfully. I do not desire to spend my time rationalizing pointlessness, I choose to live it. And a rich, unboundless life it is.

So you have no job, no family, no nothing? You're just a meat sack occupying space with no purpose other than to continue occupying space purposelessly?

You say I am trying to justify my lack of productivity... What is there to produce? Why must I waste my time doing, when life is about being? But I am not you. If you desire to live in constant sensual stimulation, that is your choice. But you are missing a great silence, a great stillness that is life. When does the planning, organizing, stressing, worrying end, and life begin?

Life is about experiencing. What you are talking about is a complete lack of experience. Existence doesn't inherently include all the things that make existence worthwhile. Being buried alive is a form of existence. Being in a coma is a form of existence. Merely existing is not living. Living is doing and creating.

Stillness is not life. It is lack of life. Anything that is alive is not still. It teems with energy.
edit on 21-5-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Read some of the writings of Sadhguru, he has explained it much better than I care to.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

Why don't you post his writings for all of us to see? I'm not the only one interested, I'm sure. Post the quotes directly relevant to your own thoughts.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

You saw the one in the message I posted a few up, correct? I have more, but I would like to make sure you read through that one first.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
~Utterances of Master Sadhguru~

Life is far beyond meaning, Life is beyond meaning and that’s why it is so beautiful

---

Intelligence is like a flashlight. If you flash it, it’ll just show you what’s in front. Knowledge is like a projector; if you switch it on, it projects its own story. Now, if you came with a flashlight and you flash it on these paintings here, you will see the paintings just the way they are. If you came with the projector, which also has light in it, and you turned it on; you don’t see the paintings. You will see something else, maybe Jackie Chan fighting. That’s the difference between knowledge and intelligence.

---

The fear is simply because you are not living with life, You are living in your mind.

---

Being with a Master is never comfortable, because He will break all your limitations, all your ideologies.

---

Man needs entertainment simply to hide his madness. If he was perfectly sane, he would not need entertainment. He could just sit and watch this bamboo grow. He does not really need entertainment

---

People have come to the conclusion that body means pain. And yet, just the right food, practices and a little change in attitude, and this body becomes a miracle.

---

Once the stillness comes into your life, then the mind also becomes absolutely still. When your mind becomes still, your intelligence explodes.

---

You can be deeply involved with everything, but still not be identified with it any more.

---

If you are truly a seeker of Truth, Truth can not hide from you. It is in the Lap of truth that you have happened. Most people who claim to be seekers are only seeking security, solace, or the fulfillment of their desires.

---

Do not try to live by morals, ethics, slogans. These are all very poor substitutes for awareness. Be couscious and aware, you will see life the way it is.

---

You’re just an imitation of what is around you, it’s just that you don’t imitate one person; you take bits and pieces of hundred people and make yourself.

---

Positive thinking is about trying to escape reality. It’s about wanting to look at one side of life, and missing out on another. You may ignore the other, but the other will not ignore you. Right now, you can choose to ignore a black cloud in the sky, but it’s not going to ignore you.

---

Blissfulness is not a rare visitor in your life, blissfulness is your constant companion, because that is the nature of your being.

---

Do your Sadhana (Spiritual Practice) joyfully, not with the hope of making it or the fear of not making it. Just do it joyfully.

---

You know everything about the world, but you do not know anything about yourself. This is a ridiculous way to live.

---

In relinquishing the limited, the unlimited becomes yours, But the price is, what is YOU does not exist anymore.

---

If you are aware that you are a nobody and you act out your role, this is enlightenment.

---

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join