It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Vilify the Ego

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

^ that is my argument. You will get nothing further out of me.

In other words, no argument. I have never expected anything less. Good luck.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bb23108

LOL! I think this thread may have become another Tar Baby!

Quite the ego-fest if you ask me.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
To be sure! And, even so, our most fundamental "experience" is awareness itself. This is self-evidently the case. To deny this is to deny one's very existence.

edit on 5/22/2013 by bb23108 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarryTZ
In a way, solipsism is a truth. I am the entirety of the infinite field of consciousness. You can't 'break' this field into 'smaller pieces' because it is non-local. We are the same consciousness, having different experiences. So yes, 'my' awareness is the only one that exists. And so is 'yours'. But do you see the problem with possessive nouns? What is mine, is yours, and yours, mine, because there is no 'you' and 'me'. The ego is what has you believe otherwise.

According to my own understanding, if non-duality is realized, the individual awareness merges with this "infinite field of consciousness".

If this is so, then I would assume that whoever has attained this merged state of consciousness would share or participate fully in the infinite perspectives of this field of consciousness.

In other words, this person would know directly all that ever was, is, or will be, right down to the minutiea of every thought and deed of each individualized life in existence.

If the non-dual awareness does not afford this all-encompassing consciousness, then I suggest that the experience is limited to the sphere of the individualized mind.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysticnoon

In a way, solipsism is a truth. I am the entirety of the infinite field of consciousness. You can't 'break' this field into 'smaller pieces' because it is non-local. We are the same consciousness, having different experiences. So yes, 'my' awareness is the only one that exists. And so is 'yours'. But do you see the problem with possessive nouns? What is mine, is yours, and yours, mine, because there is no 'you' and 'me'. The ego is what has you believe otherwise.

According to my own understanding, if non-duality is realized, the individual awareness merges with this "infinite field of consciousness".

If this is so, then I would assume that whoever has attained this merged state of consciousness would share or participate fully in the infinite perspectives of this field of consciousness.

In other words, this person would know directly all that ever was, is, or will be, right down to the minutiea of every thought and deed of each individualized life in existence.

If the non-dual awareness does not afford this all-encompassing consciousness, then I suggest that the experience is limited to the sphere of the individualized mind.

I don't think we ever loose our subjectivity. It's just that, our subjectivity grows to infinity. But that is just my take on it.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by bb23108

LOL! I think this thread may have become another Tar Baby!

I know. I have already tangled with this tar baby enough times to make me keep a distance now.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

edit on 22-5-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by bb23108

I was specifically referring to your statement "Whereas the non-rationalists seem quite keen on believing anything they can imagine to be real, regardless of whether or not it actually exists outside of their imaginations."

This is a close-minded presumption - and makes me even less interested in carrying on any conversation with you.

That just proves my point. I've obviously expressed my disinterest in anything that cannot be proven to occur outside of the imagination, and you express your disinterest in conversing with me. What other conclusion can I reach, but that you are uninterested in discussing anything outside of the imagination?

If you were disinterested why are you even discussing?
This moment is the only thing that is not of the imagination.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

*high fives, hoping that admins don't delete this post*

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

*high fives, hoping that admins don't delete this post*

Why would they?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Look up a few posts... I guess they deemed them... less than relevant. Anyways, I would say this thread has served it's purpose.
edit on 22-5-2013 by HarryTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
There is this idea you hear from time to time,
That sure seems to be accurate, if one pays attention-
Whatever you focus attention on grows in force.
(doesn't matter whether it is attention that is positive or negative, it is the focus of consciousness that has this effect).

So

What happens when you focus your attention upon your ego? When you observe it??

Pretty much what happens in every thread in which ego is the topic to study, heh?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

What is an ego?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Oh no, heeeere we go again. C'mon IINA, I just wasted 5 days of my life on this thread. Please don't drag me back in

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Oh no, heeeere we go again. C'mon IINA, I just wasted 5 days of my life on this thread. Please don't drag me back in

How can you waste 5 days of your life when there is only ever the eternal now? Hasn't itisnowagain taught you anything?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mysticnoon

Apparently not!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysticnoon

How can you waste 5 days of your life when there is only ever the eternal now? Hasn't itisnowagain taught you anything?

threads been great including the tar babiness factor. Hi 5s for all

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by bb23108

Yes, but the argument that one is not the body-mind, but is fundamental awareness, is based on self-evident understanding and recognition. The argument that rationalists use to say one is the body-mind is also not provable, but apparently is self-evident to them.

And so, after pages and pages of this consideration, and on many threads, nothing has changed and when such well-considered arguments against this notion of one being the body-mind is summarily dismissed as just one's imagination, then it is time to move on, at least in my opinion.

What is your argument that you are not your mind-body? Do you have hands? a mouth? legs? have you ever thought? imagined? used your memory? Have you ever done anything that did not involve your mind or body? if you are not your body or mind, I suppose you wouldnt mind me slowly severing your fingers and toes, and legs and arms? If you are not your mind and body, I suppose I could cut open your head and play around with your brain, eventually removing it from your body, and this would have no affect on you? When I use the term 'you', what is meant? what is meant when you use it? When you look in the mirror, what are you looking at? who? where did 'you' come from?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Do not fight what is not there to fight. Do not seek to destroy what is not there to destroy. Do not embrace what is not there to embrace.

To conceive the ego is to divide oneself. When one is divided, one cannot perceive clearly, wholly, with full wisdom.

To embrace the ego is to embrace illusion. To fight the ego is to fight illusion.

Instead, be whole, discard that which divides us every moment. When we let go of the illusion of separation, of 'transcendence' from the ego, you are right, the scapegoat falls away. But something else happens too, your eyes are opened, like seeing the world for the first time, you revel in its connectedness; and you wonder, why ever did I seek to be greedy, hateful, full of sadness, and missed the splendor that this existence truly holds within it? Why ever did I choose to think differently of my brothers and sisters, of all life as it is here, when truly the same spirit that is within me, is within you. Why ever did I seek to change the present, into my own ideal of perfection, when the only perfection we know is that of the constant flow of change itself? Its like trying to dam the torrents of the universe, and shape it into our own false notions of what should be.

Truly, love, acceptance, patience, and all the virtuous things replace the old personality when this happens, why? because their antithetical counterparts are nothing more than the flip side of the coin, we view them as separate, but they are actually the same thing, just varying degrees of such things. Those things that promote suffering, are empty, and those things that promote happiness, are full.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join