It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA finds portals near earth and have discovered how to find them.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

Theres no time travel to be had in these "portals" just as there is no time travel to be had in any other magnetic field line.
Think of the portal as two magnetic field lines connecting, and you will get the picture.

That makes my point for me that NASA having to call these "portals" is sensationalist hyperbole

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

Yuh know, I always get a good laugh over how these so-called experts already assume that they know what will happen if, and whenever when, we even get within a few light years, million miles or whatever their claims are today, from exactly what they are attempting to sound like they know anything about whatsoever?

I always get a good laugh from reading what people said was impossible in the past. They were absolutely certain that transoceanic travel, long distance communication, surgery, flight, or steam engines, miniaturized electronics, and every other currently mundane technology were impossible. They laughed at the people who dared to dream about future possibilities.

I'm not talking about random commentators either, but US Presidents, Naval Admirals, respected phsycists, surgeons, and world leaders. It has been happening throughout history, over and over again. If there is any safe prediction that can be made it is that people who say that something is impossible will eventually be proven wrong.
edit on 5/20/2013 by Slugworth because: correction

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Cannot contain my laughter. Again, there is no immediate practical use for these "portals", which I explained earlier are not scifi portals in the slightest - they allow for particles to travel in these areas unaffected by the Sun' s or the earth's magnetosphere. That is literally all they have observed, which means practically nothing other than a very interesting and cool observation, which MAY lead to the discovery of another aspect of the magnetosphere we have yet to observe. Yet still, people still think this opens doors in travel and communication and, unsurprisingly expected, "scifi portals ", even after it has been explained by numerous posters in plain English. ATS never ceases to amaze.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

Cannot contain my laughter. Again, there is no immediate practical use for these "portals"...they allow for particles to travel in these areas unaffected by the Sun' s or the earth's magnetosphere.

Can particles be used to communicate?

eta: Very few phenomena have an immediate practical use when they are initially discovered. The practical use is often not discovered until after a bunch of people said "What if..."
edit on 5/20/2013 by Slugworth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slugworth
reply to post by mr10k

Cannot contain my laughter. Again, there is no immediate practical use for these "portals"...they allow for particles to travel in these areas unaffected by the Sun' s or the earth's magnetosphere.

Can particles be used to communicate?

eta: Very few phenomena have an immediate practical use when they are initially discovered. The practical use is often not discovered until after a bunch of people said "What if..."
edit on 5/20/2013 by Slugworth because: (no reason given)

The tunnel stretches from the earth to the Sun, not around the earth. We do not have any viable means of communicating solely through particles, we don't even know if that is possible, and even if it were, and even if we had a solid method of doing so, we wouldn't be using these tunnels as they only lead to and from the Sun and we would have most likely found a far more efficient means by that time. So no, this will not yield ANY significant breakthroughs in communication or travel, unless you wanted a 24 hour window to travel to the sun using electricity, which clearly wouldn't happen.
edit on 20-5-2013 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Where this really comes into play is, if you totally understood magnetic reconnection, you might be able to solve a real problem in toroidal fusion. That's a reason why they're interested in this.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

The tunnels that were observed by this spacecraft are between the sun and the earth because that is where the spacecraft is located. It is not, however, the only place that such phenomena is believed to exist:

The data will help scientists understand the process of magnetic reconnection. The phenomenon occurs throughout the universe on many different scales, but in all cases tangled magnetic fields occasionally will collapse into more stable configurations, reconnecting and releasing energy through electron diffusion regions.
Source

The current lack of ability to communicate via particles, or an uncertainty of the possibility, does not mean that such a thing would never exist. The assumption that a more efficient means of communication would be discovered is just as flawed as assuming that such a means would never be discovered. If the natural phenomenon exists its study could lead to methods of artificially inducing something similar. If it could be artificially replicated and fine-tuned over time the possibilities could be vast. If none of that works out it still apparently has some usefulness towards development of controlled fusion.

Or maybe you're right, and being hopeful about the possibilities to be found by studying a natural phenomenon that accelerates mass to 1/100 the speed of light is a big waste of time because we can not shoot spaceships through it right away.
edit on 5/20/2013 by Slugworth because: spelling

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks for that link! ...This is very cool stuff. Love it. Clicked on another link in your article, leading back to a 2008 text on portals or "FTE's," and then found the 2008 ATS thread.

ATS 2008: Magnetic Portals Connect Sun and Earth

Magnetic Portals Connect Earth to the Sun

During the time it takes you to read this article, something will happen high overhead that until recently many scientists didn't believe in. A magnetic portal will open, linking Earth to the sun 93 million miles away. Tons of high-energy particles may flow through the opening before it closes again, around the time you reach the end of the page.

"It's called a flux transfer event or 'FTE,'" says space physicist David Sibeck of the Goddard Space Flight Center. "Ten years ago I was pretty sure they didn't exist, but now the evidence is incontrovertible."

Indeed, today Sibeck is telling an international assembly of space physicists at the 2008 Plasma Workshop in Huntsville, Alabama, that FTEs are not just common, but possibly twice as common as anyone had ever imagined.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

People still think this opens doors in travel and communication and, unsurprisingly expected, "scifi portals ", even after it has been explained by numerous posters in plain English. ATS never ceases to amaze.

Surely you've been here long enough to have learned that ATS also stands for Almost Total Stupidity?

edit on 20/5/13 by Astyanax because: of partiality.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

We do not have any viable means of communicating solely through particles, we don't even know if that is possible...

Excuse me? We communicate principally through particles. Large vibrating particles (called gas molecules) pass information in the form of pressure variations from vibrating objects to our ears. We call this sound. Very small particles (called photons) are modulated in amplitude or frequency to carry information in a somewhat different way; we call this light, radio, microwaves and so on, depending on the frequency range of the particles.

The particles we're talking about here are mostly, I believe, electrons. We use electrons to communicate all the time. It is a modulated flow of electrons that carries musical information from your personal stereo to your headphones.

Of course these tunnels are a potential means of communication. They could be used, perhaps, to carry telemetry to a satellite orbiting very close to the sun, where ordinary radio communications would be jammed by solar activity. Of course, there may be a million technical reasons why that isn't possible, or isn't efficient enough to be worthwhile. But it's far too early to dismiss the possibility of communication out of hand.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

As above, so below.

These are energy Portals, they are not stationary but in flux, they can be located anywhere and then vanish, folding back into themselves and out again. They remain along the fixed leylines however, just as humans have energy grids, so does everything else.

very cool stuff.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Sheeze, you have already logged out, but check out my post above, lol. I should have all my posts edited by you to say what I mean not what I say.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
No this doesn't have implication for space travel, its only at the quantum level. I don't understand how it could be used by humans because it only exists at that scale.

Then again no one understood how the earth was round in 1450. I'm likely just as ignorant I hope.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

The issue with toroidal fusion is not a lack of understanding in the field of magnetics or magnetic connections. Instead it involves the physics at play and the fact that it is a negative energy system creating far less energy than it consumes.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by K9millionaire
reply to post by Bedlam

The issue with toroidal fusion is not a lack of understanding in the field of magnetics or magnetic connections. Instead it involves the physics at play and the fact that it is a negative energy system creating far less energy than it consumes.

Why is it that its always very rich people, or rich heirs, who have utopian ideas. The youtube movie "Thrive" is very feel good but I just can't beleive this toroid thing is possible without someone having developed it by now.

Maybe in the future.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LastStarfighter

I do not believe it is possible in the sense of being energy efficient either. If a breakthrough with fusion energy is going to happen (which it very well may not due to forces who have too much to lose if it works) I believe it will be in another fashion. The toroidal system was our first attempt at it, now we must look at other means. (perhaps cold fusion, or my best bet is we will develop a way to manipulate gravity and use that to house the reactions)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

reply to post by Kashai

Somewhat unrelated but i'll bite. The auroras on the gas giants are caused by the enormous atmospheres of these planets and their respective magnetic fields, not solar wind as is the case with the earth.
Saturn's aurora are unique in their brightness and the physics behind them are not understood and probably unique to the planet.

"The observations, made by Hubble and the Cassini spacecraft, while enroute to the planet, suggest that

Saturn's auroral storms are driven mainly by the pressure of the solar wind -- a stream of charged particles from the Sun -- rather than by the Sun's magnetic field. The aurora's strong brightening on Jan. 28, 2004 corresponds with the recent arrival of a large disturbance in the solar wind. The image shows that when Saturn's auroras become brighter (and thus more powerful), the ring of light encircling the pole shrinks in diameter."(NASA)

Source

Tokamak cooling [edit]

The fusion reactions in the plasma spiraling around a tokamak reactor produce large amounts of high energy neutrons. These neutrons, being electrically neutral, are no longer held in the stream of plasma by the toroidal magnets and continue until stopped by the inside wall of the tokamak. This is a large advantage of tokamak reactors since these freed neutrons provide a simple way to extract heat from the plasma stream; this is how the fusion reactor generates usable energy. The inside wall of the tokamak must be cooled because these neutrons yield enough energy to melt the walls of the reactor. A cryogenic system is used to prevent heat loss from the superconducting magnets. Mostly liquid helium and liquid nitrogen are used as refrigerants.[8] Ceramic plates specifically designed to withstand high temperatures are also placed on the inside reactor wall to protect the magnets and reactor.

Toroidal fusion

edit on 20-5-2013 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This is just another fine example of how little we know about physics, and the world in general outside of our little sphere.

Most of that world is plasma, which is the state most matter in the universe exists.

Fire, electricity, fission, fusion all plasma states of matter.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kashai

reply to post by Kashai

Somewhat unrelated but i'll bite. The auroras on the gas giants are caused by the enormous atmospheres of these planets and their respective magnetic fields, not solar wind as is the case with the earth.
Saturn's aurora are unique in their brightness and the physics behind them are not understood and probably unique to the planet.

"The observations, made by Hubble and the Cassini spacecraft, while enroute to the planet, suggest that

Saturn's auroral storms are driven mainly by the pressure of the solar wind -- a stream of charged particles from the Sun -- rather than by the Sun's magnetic field. The aurora's strong brightening on Jan. 28, 2004 corresponds with the recent arrival of a large disturbance in the solar wind. The image shows that when Saturn's auroras become brighter (and thus more powerful), the ring of light encircling the pole shrinks in diameter."(NASA)

Source

Tokamak cooling [edit]

The fusion reactions in the plasma spiraling around a tokamak reactor produce large amounts of high energy neutrons. These neutrons, being electrically neutral, are no longer held in the stream of plasma by the toroidal magnets and continue until stopped by the inside wall of the tokamak. This is a large advantage of tokamak reactors since these freed neutrons provide a simple way to extract heat from the plasma stream; this is how the fusion reactor generates usable energy. The inside wall of the tokamak must be cooled because these neutrons yield enough energy to melt the walls of the reactor. A cryogenic system is used to prevent heat loss from the superconducting magnets. Mostly liquid helium and liquid nitrogen are used as refrigerants.[8] Ceramic plates specifically designed to withstand high temperatures are also placed on the inside reactor wall to protect the magnets and reactor.

Toroidal fusion

edit on 20-5-2013 by Kashai because: Added content

So if im reading that right Saturn problem makes the same connections with the sun as well? now that would be interesting wouldnt it.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

The suns heliosphere is about 14 billion miles wide though the magnetic effect is not enough to generate the same effect we have on Earth based upon the above.

The interaction between Saturn's magnetosphere and the solar wind generates bright oval aurorae around the planet's poles observed in visible, infrared and ultraviolet light. The aurorae are related to the powerful saturnian kilometric radiation (SKR), which spans the frequency interval between 100 kHz to 1300 kHz and was once thought to modulate with a period equal to the planet's rotation. However, later measurements showed that the periodicity of the SKR's modulation varies by as much as 1%, and so probably does not exactly coincide with Saturn’s true rotational period, which as of 2010 remains unknown. Inside the magnetosphere there are radiation belts, which house particles with energy as high as tens of Megaelectronvolts. The energetic particles have significant influence on the surfaces of inner icy moons of Saturn.

Source

I would say there is not enough evidence to prove either way but it is possible that what is happening on Earth is happening on any planet with an Aurora.

Any thoughts?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join