It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Every 9 Seconds in US a Child Drops out of School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Very heartbreaking statistics I came across to:

-Nationally, only about two-thirds of all students who enter 9th grade graduate with regular high school diplomas four years later. For minoritymales, these figures are far lower. In 2001, on average, 72% of female students, but only 64%of male students graduated. African American students had a graduation rate of 50%, the lowestof racial and ethnic groups identified; the other student groups graduated at the following rates:American Indian, 51%; Latino, 53%; White, 75%; and Asian and Pacific Islander, 77%. But there were enormous disparities among state

-An estimated 3.8 million youth ages 18-24 are neitheremployed nor in school—15% of all young adults. From 2000 to 2004, the ranks of these disconnected young adults grew by 700,000.5

-Three-quarters of state prison inmates are dropouts,as are 59% of federal inmates.12 In fact, dropouts are 3.5 times more likely than high school graduates to be incarcerated in their lifetime. graduation levels, and even larger disparities by ethnicity and gender within the same states.

-The earnings gap widens with years of schooling and formal training. In 2003, annual earnings of male dropouts fell to $21,447. High school graduates earned an average of $32,266; those with associate’s degrees earned $43,462; bachelor’s degree holders earned $63,084—about triple that
of dropouts.

-The US would save $41.8 billion in health care costs if the 600,000 young people who dropped
out in 2004 were to complete one additional year of education

-The US death rate for persons with fewer than 12 years of education is 2.5 times higher than for
those with 13 or more years of education

Dropouts “cost our nation more than $260 billion dollars…That’s in lost wages, lost taxes, and lost
productivity over their lifetimes. In federal dollars,that will buy you ten years of research at the National Institutes of Health.”

www.aypf.org...

Just picked out a few from the study. That is very-very serious problem. I could not imagine the graduation % is that low. To be honest, I do not any person who has dropped out of school round here. Nearly 1/4 dropping out is an extremely serious problem. What do you think?
edit on 18-5-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The graduation rate in the town I lived in, for all races, was very low. Out of the 15 or so people that worked at the store I was at, not counting myself, or our General Manager (we were both from other areas), the people that grew up there had I think one person that graduated. A couple had GEDs, but the majority hadn't even gotten that.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I blame Parents,Teachers, and Curriculum. In that order.

MHO

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'm still in school
and I can honestly say it is the teachers.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

You might be able to say that,but for those who's Parents take NO initiative, to not even knowing who the Teachers are, well....................and thats common actually. I am sure there will be teachers to back this.

Ive seen children get arrested in school. That's not the Teachers fault. That is the Parents, or lack of Parents involved in their children's lives.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
When you have a teacher who just sits down and puts a powerpoint on and says to copy it without saying anything, it's the teachers fault.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Touche...........

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Todays schools reward obedience and memoriszation rather than creative thinking and leadership skills.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think it's because the educational system is so strict. My highschool is really "jail like" they have camera's in every angle and a few rentacops. Not to mention you can't even take a sh_t without getting hastled by some hall monitor who consist of a 15 man team equiped with walkie-talkiers. It really depends though because all of people have different reason's on why they dropout. Some are just criminals or troublemakers, Some arent discplined enough so they just skip, and some just don't like school because they feel trapped and not free. Along with the failure of staff trying to help the students instead of expelling them, which takes away from there education by giving them time off doing the one they didn't want to do in the first place: go to school. It's basically rewarding so alot of kids take advantage of that. In my highschool there is no break at all except lunch, no time to go outside and take a break get some air eat or whatever. And you have like 4 minutes to get your things and get to class between periods.

I can sometimes understand why people drop out, the system is just going at it wrong. The education system is failing to teach the importance of school to kids, they've put it all down to records, numbers, papers which put's kids at a level. No kid wants to be compared if they are a slow learner or don't have great focus like some other kids. That could be a reason alot of lower grade children drop out. Because they're self-esteem and effort, smartness, is judged upon a number to grade your knowledge.There's really alot of variables, i'm no expert but this is just from what i've seen in my experience as a drop-out student. (I ended up getting my g.e.d)

edit on 18-5-2013 by BruceEFury because: space

Btw the graduation rate at my school is about 60%
edit on 18-5-2013 by BruceEFury because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

cool

with what school has become these days its not like they are missing much

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Schools are exam factories. They stopped being about 'education' and 'free thinking' a long long time ago. They will probably do a lot better out of school than in school.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

reply to post by DocHolidaze

reply to post by Elliot

Schools are pretty much similar everywhere. Passive listening of the Powerpoint presentations is uncommon around the world. Yet that is not a reason to drop out... Here the breaks were 5-10 minutes in an hour + 2x20 minute lunchbreaks. One for middle-school, one for high-school. These are together here. Most schools also have primary in the same house. There were around 7-9 45 minute lessons every day + hells of homework. Going outside was not allowed, there was security and cameras in every classroom. The reason for cameras is that people would not cheat during tests, also bullying is taped. Cellphones, tablets, laptops were banned during a lesson, although in highschool laptops were allowed on the condition that at the end of the lesson one shows that he/she has used it for writing conspects.

But that is not a reason to drop out...

Talking about education and being educated - true the education is more of a paper than real skills. Let´s be honest majority (over 90%) of people who have dropped do not start studying on their own... What are the odds that a high-school dropout chooses learning math and geography instead of playing video games, chatting in Facebook or just having fun? At least in school you pick up something, whatever the methods are. Something stays in your memory after learning for tests. The standards are low though in my opinion. Here actually the % of right answers is required less. 51% is enough to pass. Yet the tests are very hard, so getting a 51% might be compared to the standards of getting B or even A in US. I say that based on the tests my friends from US have shown me.

Statistics show clearly the difference between the health, crime rate and salary of less than high-school education. Even high-school education alone is weak. Here it is nearly impossible to find a mediocre job, even for Bachelor´s degree. Book-stores require the salespeople to have bachelors in literature, while paying around 10k a year, with around 20% higher prices compared to US... Although from youth around 80% goes to university... From my class everybody went to uni, as living without the degree is nearly impossible. So hard to find a job.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Much has changed in the world so that paper education is no gateway to getting a job, and may even be an hinderance for some.
One of my children 'left school' ie began to home school at age 10. At age 14, on return to school, for now, we find that chlld a long way ahead of their peers and we are considering a return to home school, instead of the half truths of state education. We may not follow the school education curriculum BUT the child in question can start a university education without formal school qualifications at any time and is already highly skilled in various subjects, something that Inspectors admit would not have happened should the child have followed the school pathway.

So, if a child does drop out of school and has guidance from parents who have the intelligence to guide and teach, and not necessarily a large amount of cash, the chances are good for the child.

One of my highly qualified children works with many university graduates.........in a supermarket!!

edit on 19-5-2013 by Elliot because: spelling

edit on 19-5-2013 by Elliot because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join