It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$600 Million Power ball what would you do?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The chances of winning the $600 million prize remain astronomically high: 1 in 175.2 million. And lottery officials said Saturday that 80 percent of the possible combinations have been purchased. The drawing is tonight 5/18/2013.

Lets say you won and after all the taxes and other eaters of you new nest egg you clear 250 million. What would you do?

One Million a year for 250 years or 10 million for 25 years would change most peoples lives I would assume. A heavy burden to bare.....Now there will be those who say look at all the unhappy lottery winners etc etc. Well I would rather be unhappy rich than unhappy poor.

I never buy a ticket but am thinking about investing $2 for a chance; small chance, no chance, but hey one can dream a little!.......

I think I would like to set up an education/support fund for those who wish to invent things that will benefit all mankind. A little could go a long ways for some in their endeavor IMO.
edit on 18-5-2013 by 727Sky because: ....

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'd make sure to request the payments that way I get the entire amount advertised.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
One time I got every number off by ONE!!! It was a 350 million powerball.

In some other dimension another me is very happy...

I think I will scrape together some change and go play this one!

(I think that the karma has to extend to more than yourself, I mean for everyone you plan to include.)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I will take it in a lump sum.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
'd try and win it another 10k times, i've always wanted to be a 1%er

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

If theres an 80% chance the ticket has been already bought, whats the real chances of winning then?

That doesn't fair well for the ones who haven't bought one, does it?

I would save a few lives with that kind of money. Actually, many lives. Hopefully not go broke in 10 years.......

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I think the odds are better if you stick your rear in the air and prey to Zeus than to win the lotto.

I know someone who has spent their entire life on gambling and never came out ahead.
we are talking about 1-200 a month. The odds are so astronomically stacked against you its sickening.

The lotto is robbery made legal. I mean who really wins against a company that can offer hundred million dollar payouts on the monthly?

Save your money invest it and collect the interest if you really want to win!

Its A Great Dream Though!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I would buy everyone else a one way ticket to Mars, sit back and enjoy the silence

If that is not posible, i would buy gold, dig it down, make a treasure map pointing in the wrong direction, put it on Youtube, sit back and enjoy the silence

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Buy Happiness.

And by happiness I mean a kiddie pool full of bacon.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I do believe we all have dreamt of hitting it big, but i for one couldn't bare the responsibility of it. I would be tempted to use the money for political reassignments / coup d'etat.

link   
If I won $600 million dollars, the first thing I would do is punch myself in the balls.

I have no idea what my next step would be.

link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Here is a (Powerball map) of which states sell and don't sell tickets.

www.powerball.com...

If I won this lottery...I would purchase a home...get some other things that I need and want...I would make sure to help others with it...I would study about investments...etc.

edit on 18-5-2013 by caladonea because: edit

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Abstruse

Are you sure you want to wait 20 years to get paid in full (do a "time value of money" assessment)? A lot can happen in the next two decades where your jackpot will get greatly reduced by inflation.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
take a lump sum and never work for a living another of my life.
then find some user friendly country, transfer half of it to bank there and move in.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Thanks, OP, for a doom break and creating a fun "pie in the sky" sort of a thing. I never remember to play the lottery; BUT, if i DID remember to play this one and if i DID miraculously beat the odds and win, i would use the money to completely restore the aging-into-extinction town of which i live on the outskirts. I'd do my very best to use that money to set an example.

It would not be a standard or typical restoration, though. I would make it a model of sustainability and conservation. I'm talking solar, wind energy, water reclamation and conservation, xeriscaping, recycling stations ~ anything and everything that could be done toward that end would be done. Derelict houses would be demolished, the soil they once stood upon improved and turned into community green space and gardens. Aging/decrepit homes would be demolished and replaced with sustainable homes built to specifications to make them last years and years based on the climate and weather out here - from tornadoes, ravaging hail, near constant (often high) winds, freezing cold and blistering hot. Homes still in good condition could be improved and retrofitted for sustainability, energy consumption, etc.

All of the old downtown buildings would be similarly restored and then put to use in ways that would benefit the community: gyms, heirloom plant nurseries, affordable farmer's market for the products of the community gardens with vouchers for free or reduced prices for anyone who works the gardens or is disabled/too old, a community center with activities to draw people together again so that everyone knows everyone else. Monthly recognition/prizes to people who go above and beyond in assisting or providing additional examples - everyone likes to be recognized, right?
Maybe create a small, local industry to give jobs to those who need them or to a senior citizen who wants something to do.

Further, despite the utterly nauseating amount of money this current lottery would provide, I would try to do it all as inexpensively as possible in order to show the rest of the U.S. that if a town of less than one thousand can do it, anyone can do it.

I'm not talking about replacing everyone's vehicle with an electric one. People need to go to work and in more places than not in the U.S. that requires driving. Nothing over the top as it would be about making an example of what can be done and just how inexpensively it could be done if everyone pitched in. Of course, it would be my imaginary lottery winnings that did it and not people pitching it, but if I could prove it could be financially possible with a little effort, then I believe more places would do it.

And, since this is my pie in the sky dream, I'd then determine the final cost and split the remaining money into 'x' number of funds containing that amount and do the same thing in as many other places as I could.

Selfishly, I would get myself a new kitchen sink. I despise that sink. :p

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I would feel compelled to give about half of it away to friends and family. I would pay off their debts, then set them up with businesses of their choosing, debt free. They will owe me nothing and I will not dictate in any way how they run the business, but I will deny any future requests for money with a clear conscience. Tired of working construction? Here's some startup money to buy equipment, supplies, and a building to store it all. Sick of waiting tables? Pick a building, we'll put your own restaurant in there. This seems much better than handing out the money itself, with greater potential to improve more lives by creating jobs for others.

As for the other half of the money, I shudder to think what I would do. Louis CK had some good ideas:

***These clips contain EXTREMELY VULGAR LANGUAGE***

edit on 5/18/2013 by Slugworth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The first thing I'd do is call my company and tell them to stick their trailer where the sun doesn't shine sideways and spin on it.
Then build a house in Washington somewhere, and live like a hermit.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
The first thing I'd do is call my company and tell them to stick their trailer where the sun doesn't shine sideways and spin on it.

Why even call????

You could always light the damn thing on fire, right in front of them............

The look would be priceless.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slugworth
I would feel compelled to give about half of it away to friends and family. I would pay off their debts, then set them up with businesses of their choosing, debt free. They will owe me nothing and I will not dictate in any way how they run the business, but I will deny any future requests for money with a clear conscience.

Yeah, the same.

Just imagine ALL the people coming out the wood work.

First thing?

Change my number.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Oh god I wish you had never said that. My other half is sitting in the passenger seat giving a really really scary look right now.

We've got four tickets with five numbers each sitting here. Wanna bet that the 1 in 32 chance of winning SOMETHING applies to the other 12 numbers we don't have?

edit on 5/18/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join