It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ramps required in all new homes - Austin, TX

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
This goes to show just how far government will go, even local government, to tell you how to live your life, how you should build your home and what is required for YOUR property.

AUSTIN -- Soon, nearly every new home in Austin could come with ramps, first-floor bathrooms and special handles on the doors. It’s part of a proposal before Austin City Council called “visitibility,” to make houses more accessible for people with disabilities.

Currently, Austin offers an incentive for these types of disability-friendly home designs under a program called S.M.A.R.T. However, that is an optional program, and the city is now considering making it a mandatory code.

Also, bathroom light switches must be no higher than 48 inches, and bathroom outlets must be at least 15 inches off the floor.

The inside of the home must have level door handles, not knobs for easy access.

The most controversial of the requirements is a ramp leading up to the home, called a “no step ramp,” designed for people in wheelchairs or on crutches.

Source: KVUE - ABC

So now we have door knobs telling us what kind of door knobs we have to have on our own property. Of course, the requirements have not passed... yet, but they are pushing really hard here in ATX.

This will not only force home owners to change the way they plan/build their homes, but it will also raise the costs of the home being built.

The Homebuilders Association of Greater Austin tells KVUE those ramps could be expensive and complicated.

“We estimate that even on entry-level houses, it's going to cost between $1,500 and $2,000 per house,” said HBA member Harry Savio.

So, what say you ATS? Do you think this is going too far? ATX has already stopped the use of plastic bags in stores. Now you must bring your own or pay for sachels, but no longer are you able to get plastic bags at stores, grocery stores or markets. Either you bring your own or you buy flimsy sachels at the store which could cost you a pretty penny, depending on how many groceries you buy.

Personally, I think ATX is going a little batty in these new rules and regulations.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Thats because we are Aussiefying Austin TX.

You do know Adelaide Australia is your Sister city, didnt you?

The Government in Adelaide banned plastic bags a few years ago....Yes we use those "Green" bags...you get use to it.

The problem is most people recycled the plastic shopping bags for the home inside rubbish bin.

Now there is a spike in sales of plastic bin liners...oh well....

We also have a can and drink container deposit here too...10c per can....get 100 thats 10 bucks!!
We've had that since the 1970s. (use to be 5c)

So, hows a ramp work to the first floor, or do you have to have lifts for people? Tho fun going down a ramp...

Dont forget the Oz V8 Supercars are at your fantastic Austin Texas F1 race track this weekend...you going?

I understand there is an AussieBurger place or something in down town Austin too....apparently you can buy Kangaroo wings there!!, tho I didnt know kangaroos flew? Maybe they do in Texas......

See, we are taking over...just kidding.

Whats your house prices like tho?

edit on 18-5-2013 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Yes, when me and my wife were in Austin a few weeks ago the cashier at walmart got quite a funny glare when he asked me if I wanted to buy a bag or take em out in the cart. WTH?

Something about that just feels like a massive scam, I don't care how green you paint it. This home modification deal feels the same.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

This makes sense, and why? Because the obesity problem in the USA is OUT OF CONTROL.

I know a lot of people here really don't like facts, but America is a FAT country, you have millions of people barely able to walk down the street without assistance. You have ballooning medical problems because of having so many damned FAT people, and this is something you guys had better get used to.

Would you rather your city have to tax you all more in the coming years to deal with the changes those fat people will need done to their homes, or would you rather have something put in place now to prepare for it?

The truth is nothing seems to be changing in the minds of the average American, millions are still eating swill barely fit for Human consumption, millions are still drinking crap made from sugar, corn syrup, flavourings and colourings - and GALLONS of the puke at a time! And millions are classing walking to the fridge as exercise.

This is not part of some conspiracy, unless you count the corporate ownership of government and the silencing of media by corporations making billions through fattening up the people with total trash as a conspiracy.

90% of this problem is an idiotic nation of people who are not capable of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for their own health.

End rant.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

So you think the answer to this is to let people in power do all the thinking for those fat people that need a ramp in their house?

You are ok with someone controlling every aspect of your life?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

No mate, I had no idea Adelaide was a sister city.

Hmmm So YOURE the blokes who started this mess with Green Bags.. hahaha Makes me wonder if we're just picking up on this "sister city" idea a lil too deeply. It is a bit of a pain though. It would make sense to recycle the plastic bags into home type trash bags. Seems more fit to use them than to just throw them away in another bag. I store them under my sink for just that. They make handy trash bags for the smaller cans.

It would be nice if we could sell our aluminum cans for 10cents a can. That would be great. I can only imagine how much I would have made from all the drinks I used to buy. If I bought them at work, that would be 15cents a cola since they sell them for 25cents a drink. You guys should push that over here. lol

The ramps on the first floor are basicly steps without the steps. Many homes sit a foot or more off the ground. Many homes also sit on a hill and require steps as well. I guess it would depend as many homes around here also sit flat on the ground so I dont think the ramp aspect would apply to all, just those that dont sit flat.

I will be at the races!

I think this is the palce you're refering to with the Kangaroo wings.

Aussies Vollyball & Grill

I haven't been yet but now that you mention it, I will make an effort. I'm always up for new foods.. especially if it involves animals I've never eaten. lol though they are no different than buffalo wings, which are just chiken wings. Hmm I have no idea why they call them that. They're just yummy!

Housing prices are not all that bad here. A new home will cost ya anywhere from 100 to 300 thousand USD, depending on what you're looking to build. 100k isn't a bad price. The going rate for new homes here around 1500 square feet are 135ish for a very nice 2-3 bedroom with 2 baths. There isn't much room outside though, but enough to get by. Now.. for 300k, you can have a beautiful BIG home with about 4-5 beds and 2-3 baths and a nice sized yard, but that's the upper end of pricing. Though, dont get me wrong, you could spend a hell of alot more than that, but that's more than I care to look into.

cheers!
edit on 18-5-2013 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013

This makes sense, and why? Because the obesity problem in the USA is OUT OF CONTROL.

I know a lot of people here really don't like facts, but America is a FAT country, you have millions of people barely able to walk down the street without assistance. You have ballooning medical problems because of having so many damned FAT people, and this is something you guys had better get used to.

End rant.

Huh?? What does that have to do with fat people? I dont know where you live, but Austin isn't swarming with people so fat that they need ramps to get inside. Besides... what would that have to to with my home? leave that to the people who overeat and let them pay for their own problems...

Austin is FULL of VERY health concious people. You see bikers everywhere and joggers on every sidewalk. The obesity issue is blown out of proportion, no pun intended. Maybe in the redneck swaths of woodlands maybe and yes I see "fat" people here and there, but no where near the numbers youre hinting to.

Once again, what does government making me put ramps on my new home, and specific door knobs have to do with fat people? I would think a fat person would do just fine turning a round door knob. That's just silly talk.

I'm still scratching my head here. Fat people are NOT handicap people. Maybe in their own minds... but they are not. As the article said, handicap people are less than the 1% of the population. Why would my house be an issue, especially if I didnt know any? Wait... Soon it'll be manditory that I let anyone come into my home that wants... Just because they should have the right.. right? Next I'll be painting a handicap parking spot in place of my prime parking spot in my own driveway...

sad...

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I see this as further evidence of "Imagined Sensitivity".

Progressives create rules and laws for "Imagined Sensitivity" so it makes them look like caring individuals.

The trap lies with anyone who disagrees with their draconian approach.

Because if you disagree, you hate handicapped people. It's not that you don't feel it necessary, or that it is none of anyone's damned business what is built on private property, if you are against it, you are a hater.

So people go along (so they don't get labeled) and more freedoms are lost simply by the incremental approach of an authority getting to tell you how to live your life/ an authority getting to tell you what you can/cannot do.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by wondermost

So you think the answer to this is to let people in power do all the thinking for those fat people that need a ramp in their house?

You are ok with someone controlling every aspect of your life?

No, it just makes economic sense. Either way the people will have to pay for changes to suit the growing weight of the public. Would you rather people who build and own houses now pay for those things, or would you rather EVERYONE pay increased taxes in ten or fifteen years to fit out all those houses just to make these people barely functional members of society?

Like it or not, Americans are getting very fat, very fast. Someone has to pay to keep these people in adequate housing, you can either force builders to do that now, or all pay for it later. Your choice.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

If builders were smart, and America is turning too fat, they should build treadmills instead of ramps.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

This doesn't even make any sense!

The number of people that I personally see a day that are crippled by their weight is around, on average, maybe one. Maybe.

I'm not spending extra money on a phantom problem that may or may not come to a head in the future. You're crazy.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

If builders were smart, and America is turning too fat, they should build treadmills instead of ramps.

You know Beez, I could put you in my sig daily. You are quotable, that's for sure !!!

You sound like you should be a progressive building planner.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Ah the Americans with Disabilities Act (or a more local incarnation of it) at its finest. Government, dictating private builders how they must design their buildings. I am not talking safety or even public access, private companies and owners, subjected to the rule of the State on how they think you should be.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I agree, no only mandatory ramps for exercises but also monitors to make sure you do the exercises as per state regulations.

You know I get sick and tire of others telling me a tax payer and an adult how to do my business, if I build a home is to my personal specifications not those of the neighbor next door or some interest groups.

edit on 18-5-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
No, it just makes economic sense. Either way the people will have to pay for changes to suit the growing weight of the public. Would you rather people who build and own houses now pay for those things, or would you rather EVERYONE pay increased taxes in ten or fifteen years to fit out all those houses just to make these people barely functional members of society?

No, no and no to all your statements. It doesn't make economic sense; those decisions are not made by the Government. They are made by the builder and the person wanting a building built to certain specifications. Adding additional code that serves nothing to one of the "most fit" cities according to Forbes is nothing but another channel to funnel money from the private sector to some cozy nudge-nudge enterprise between Government and the industry that will benefit from this.

Your theory that this is about obesity shows your ignorance; this is about ADA compliance and expanding that power of the State to a broader private sector where it has been beaten back for a couple of decades. You further that ignorance claiming it makes "economic sense". Tax payers don't pay for modifications to private property (so why would 'everyone pay increased taxes in ten or fifteen years...') ATS...a bastion of self proclaimed enlightened and educated people spouting off about things they have no idea nor understanding.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I think the problem is all the trash from California that moved to Texas. You see it where ever the trash go, they vote their home state into liberal lefti hell, then move to a red state. After a few years they go back to their old voting patterns because they are no longer sensitive to it anymore.

The way I see it, if someone bought atleast 2 houses in every ultra well to do liberal neighborhood, and rented them out to illegals, the illegal immigration debate would be over after a week(until after a decade of all the illegals being kicked out then they would go back to their old stupidity).

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I see why they are bringing in this rule.

If you have a accident later on in life or become not able to walk properly. You will be able to have access to your house.

I was talking with my dad and step mum about this the other day. She said they don't need one I said what if you have a accident or are not able to walk. this would save you from having to come across that expense if that does one day arise.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The most controversial of the requirements is a ramp leading up to the home, called a “no step ramp,” designed for people in wheelchairs or on crutches. The Homebuilders Association of Greater Austin tells KVUE those ramps could be expensive and complicated.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I've been to Texas and I'll tell you right now, there's no way in hell some of those folks can get through a regular door no matter how big the ramp is.

Never seen so many fat people in my life. Go to a clothes store and you'll find jeans are measured in acres, not inches.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Well....I am thinking they have not thought about how this will endanger children even more now. Making the electrical outlets just that much more at eye level and curious, making door handles easier for little hands to grip and turn to accidentally get out of the house, etc....guessing this will come with a law that those who live in one of these houses is not allowed to have children either? Or will they simply say it was neglect when a child gets hurt because of the forced changes?

Ridiculous this is even being talked about as a possibility.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join