It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mystery of the Immaculately Conceived Baby Anteater

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Thank you for actually taking the time to read and process the article. The experts in the article actually posit the possibility of delayed implantation. In another version of the same story:

Leone speculated that the "virgin birth" may have been a bizarre case of delayed implantation, also known as embryonic diapause. Some species are able to hold up hormonally on having their fertilized eggs attach to the uterine wall and start developing, apparently as a stress response. That's known to happen to armadillos, which are in the same scientific superorder (Xenarthra) as anteaters. "It's been presumed that giant anteaters can do this as well," Leone said.

cosmiclog.nbcnews.com...

Either a. somebody let the male anteater in or b. it's delayed implantation. DNA test on the baby could easily settle the matter and it'd probably go back to having shared genetics with the male anteater. If the test comes back that the baby is all mom, then that would be evidence of asexual reproduction--something that isn't even mentioned at all in the article... Occam's razor, people.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

I know that Kangaroos can basically "shut off" their reproductive system during really bad times ie drought and famine. Perhaps the anteater can delay the growth of the zygote as well?

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Haven't had a chance to read all comments yet, but have to agree with delayed fertilisation. It's common practice in some species, such as bats, as at the link below:

After mating in the autumn, female bats use ‘delayed fertilisation’ to ensure that they don’t become pregnant before hibernation, which in turn ensures that babies (called ‘pups’) are born only when there is sufficient food for them to grow and survive.

source

Yes, it's not a research paper (having trouble finding a source), but it's a first hand account.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
There are plenty of species that can pull this off - asexual reproduction.

While it can be seen as mind-blowing, could it be possible that at some point in the evolution of this creature, it had asexual reproduction abilities?

We cant pin down the complete evolution of humans, so couldn't the same be true in this case?

Maybe this is one of natures little quirks for species preservation.

Well CRAP! I hope this doesn't happen to me.

I guess I would be considered asexual, also known as celibate...for now
. I'd prefer to find a girl first.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
And He came into their midst, on all fours, His nose long and claws sharp, and speaketh unto them. When the crowd stirred because of hunger He asked his apostles to gather what food was there, and the amount was twenty ants. He tooketh those 20 ants and fed the multitude, and they were amazed, and when they were done and the baskets were gathered, still there were 20 ants left over, and they did believe.

Another time He was asked to turn water into ants, and verily did so.

The last supper came upon Him, and He dined. On ants.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

All hale the new king...Eddie the giant anteater that has come to die for our sins.

Only through this giant anteater, you will come to know thy God.

It's happening all over again...run for your lives !!!!!

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Were 3 wise men seen in the vicinity of this virgin birth?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
Were 3 wise men seen in the vicinity of this virgin birth?

The anteater was illegitimate! They produced this story of virgin birth to cover the illegitimate bastard anteater birth!

Next thing you know they will proclaim this anteater as the Savior.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

When I read anything on ATS, I always read them with the following maxim foremost on my mind.

"Never let the fact get in the way of a good story."

Generally credited to Mark Twain

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The anteater has introduced to a male anteater more than 6 months ago, conceived and gave birth to a baby anteater.
The anteater was then separated from the male for the next 6 months because apparently male anteaters tend to be baby killers. lol

The most likely explanation is that a fertilized egg from the initial conception lied "dormant" within the mothers reproductive system, only to begin developing after the birth of its sibling. This is uncommon, but not impossible and has been documented in small to medium size mammals.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Anteaters are great diggers. Has anyone checked for tunnels?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

the ant eat was a polyploid mutant with hermaphadite qualities.

Just my guess. It reproduced A sexually through a messed up gene. Polyploid is the shiznet.

it would be called Sympatric Speciation.

Its like a shiny anteater LOL. how many trash mobs did they get through before that guy spawned.
edit on 21-5-2013 by CrypticSouthpaw because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
He is the anti christ.... the devil of the anteater religion

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

Indeed...

Though I assume you said this as a joke it does seem the most logical.
Unfortunately during the reincarnation process he's just landed in the wrong body ha ha... we should string it up on a cross so he can have another chance...

~CrzayFool

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join