It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Health Organization (WHO); voices concern about SARS-like Coronavirus.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
After reading a thread posted yesterday, claiming that there were "25 cases of SARS coronavirus at St. Lukes Hospital in NY", I found myself looking into it a little further, gathering information about the semi-new virus. The thread I just mentioned has since been deleted. Probably because of a false title, as the OP only posted a few links to YT, and nothing verifying the headline.

But anyway...

After I was unable to locate any credible sources sustaining the OPs claim, I was still intrigued. And quickly realized that the aforementioned wasn't out of the realm of possibility.

WHO reports first patient-to-nurse spread of new SARS-like virus

Two health workers in Saudi Arabia have become infected with a potentially fatal new SARS-like virus after catching it from patients in their care - the first evidence of such transmission within a hospital, the World Health Organization said.

"This is the first time health care workers have been diagnosed with (novel coronavirus) infection after exposure to patients," the Geneva-based U.N. health agency said in a disease outbreak update late on Wednesday.

Scientists are on the alert for any sign that nCoV is mutating to become easily transmissible to multiple recipients, like SARS - a scenario that could trigger a pandemic.

Source

That's what scares scientists the most. A Virus that is easily transmitted between humans.

Coronavirus, or nCoV has already been seen as far west as Britain, Germany, and France. And has claimed the life of 18 people.

Since September 2012, the World Health Organization has been informed of 30 confirmed cases of the virus, and 18 of the patients have died. Cases have been emerged in Saudi Arabia, Jordan, the UAE, Qatar, Britain and Germany, and health officials have said the virus has likely already spread between people in some circumstances.

Source

The worst possible scenario when fighting a Virus like this, is losing track of it. Because you already can't see it; and once it's no longer contained, it would be extremely difficult to re-establish control.

(the below has not been linked to coronavirus)

On May 9th, there was an Epidemic alert in Texas due to an unknown illness, which killed two people.

Epidemic Hazard in USA on Thursday, 09 May, 2013 at 04:50 (04:50 AM) UTC.

- Unidentified Illness (fatal)
- 4/4 Hazardous

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Mystery illness claims the life of 2 area teens, a third is critical

Also,
Though seemingly unrelated, an Epidemic Hazard is currently in effect for Brooklyn, NY.
Due to an outbreak of the Measles.

- 2/4 Hazardous
- 30 Infected

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Again, the 2 Events listed above have NOT been linked to the Coronavirus. And I am NOT endorsing the idea that they are. I am simply posting some News that I discovered last night, while trying to validate another thread. (see above)

It is fascinating, none the less.
edit on 18-5-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Scary, thanks for the warning.
I'll be informing my friends, and family of the potential threat.

Something new every other day it seems, this really gets my conspiracy side acting up.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I like WHO's information. It's much better than much of the health information from the USA. Lots less promoting drugs and more real information there. They are not afraid to challenge corporations if they feel they are jeopardizing the health of their citizens. S&F

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by terriblyvexed

Not a problem.

It definitely gets you thinking, that's for sure.

If you're looking for a conspiracy, this was the video posted yesterday in the deleted thread.

"25 cases of SARS coronavirus at St. Lukes Hospital in NY"
(link-below)

www.youtube.com...

Yet to be confirmed. Lol.

But you never know, I guess.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Call it nothing. Call it something.

I have noticed today 05/17/2013 more than two people coughing unnaturally.

Pierce County , Washington State.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ManOfHart

Well, we're going to need a little bit more information than that, bro.

If we want to contemplate whether or not it's already here in the States.

But I'm glad you said that. Because it puts just how easily a virus can travel, in perspective.

Hopefully, places like China already have protocols in places, especially after the SARS outbreak in 2003. Once a Virus gets rolling like that, it's very tough to stop. We're already lucky the 02'-03' event didn't become a global pandemic. Even though it still killed close to 'one-thousand' people worldwide, and infecting close to 'ten-thousand.'

From what I understand, nCoV is a variation of SARS. They are similar, but not exactly the same. Both come from the Coronaviridae family, and are a member of the subfamily Coronavirinae. Both SARS(SARS-CoV) and nCoV are of the Coronavirus' species ... nCoV, being the 'newly' discovered Coronavirus. Both can be transmitted through the air, by someone coughing, or sneezing.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

They're scared of it - or are they promoting it's spread? I'm a nurse, and It really gets my conspiracy up.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1

They're scared of it - or are they promoting it's spread? I'm a nurse, and It really gets my conspiracy up.

I'm pretty sure that the people he saw coughing, weren't "promoting" the spread of Coronavirus'.

Even if they had it... ((which they probably don't))... they wouldn't even know it yet.

Are you implying that terrorists already infected with nCoV, are in the United States coughing everywhere, with the intent to infect Americans? (serious-question-based-on-your-reply) But... Lol?

I guess that is one way to do it, though.

If you really want to get your "conspiracy up"... You should look into the theory that,
SARS was created in a lab, as a biological weapon.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Scientists actually gave a new name to this particular coronovirus; MERS or Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome:

SARS Virus

“This name is endorsed by the discoverers of the virus and other researchers that pioneered MERS-CoV studies, by the World Health Organization and by the Saudi Ministry of Health. We strongly recommend the use of this name in scientific and other communications,” the group, led by Raoul de Groot of Utrecht University in the Netherlands, wrote in the Journal of Virology.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by CINY8

Yes. In fact, I have read that same article. You're correct. Which reminds me of something else I was going to post... Here is a 'snippet' from your article:

“We know that when people get infected, many of them develop severe pneumonia.

Now, I would just like to update some of the information about the Unexplained Illness in Texas, that caused the death of 2 teens, and hospitalized a 3rd. The Epidemic Hazard Alert is dated 05/09/13. The symptoms described coming out of Texas include:

Fever, coughing, pneumonia, seizures and respiratory failure. First had a fever, and then violent seizures started days later
(Link in OP)
These are the symptoms associated with Coronavirus / NCoV:

People who get infected with the novel coronavirus develop acute, serious respiratory illness with fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties. The novel coronavirus infection generally presents as pneumonia. It causes kidney failure and death in some cases.

The manifestations of coronavirus infection can cause severe lower respiratory tract infection and seizures

www.sinobiological.com...

They are indeed very similar... However, the doctors involved in TX, claim that "the disease doesn't appear to be very contagious."

I have Zero explanations as to how, or why, a Saudi born virus would spontaneously find its way to a couple of kids, in the middle of Texas. And I'm not saying it has... But it is still a mystery; And I would like to know, whatever it is.

An 'Epidemic Hazard Alert' remains in affect for Montgomery and Liberty Counties.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Came on to report this possible outbreak.

Would like to hear from Soficrow on the matter.

If this is true, then we are in for one hell of a ride in the US.

Why create a coverup?

If the NYC hospital story is true, we are in for hell unleashed on earth.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Just wanted to add this interesting piece to the mix.

thesnitchprotocol.blogspot.com...

A clinic was set up to receive patients who were supposedly infected with the SARS virus during a mock disaster drill Monday morning at De Sales University. Staff from six hospitals participated in today’s drill and evaluators came from even more hospitals, including Dr. James Pruden, an emergency medicine doctor from St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center in Paterson, N.J. Pruden helped in the drill as well, calling for officials to set up an updated triage system about halfway into the drill. Today’s may 13 2013 drill was the first time St. Luke’s ran a full-scale collaboration between

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Just in time for the Zombie Apocalypse?

While you're rolling your eyes I shall expound. What if the Ruling Elite are planning on using bio-warfare to wipe out as many brain-dead people as possible?

The conscious among us, aware of a depop agenda by certain individuals and organizations, might very well think along this vein of thought.

CDC Zombie Apocalypse

World War Z

Who knows?

edit on 18-5-2013 by Weremom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thank you for the info. It seems legit.

photos.lehighvalleylive.com...

Unfortunately, I cannot verify if the '25 actual patients in NY' is true or not. But your post is enough to reinforce such a thing as being a possibility. With all of the paranoia surrounding these types of drills, and them being a precursor to the real thing... I am not surprised somebody would start this rumor. But I also know, that the Virus itself is in-fact real.

Any additional information is valuable at this point.

Everything at the moment, other than the existence of SARS-like NCov, is primarily speculation for now.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Oh no more bird flu type diseases, I MUST rush out and buy some 'medicine' from the big pharma companies to prevent it turning into a pandemic, for my safety and not their profits of course.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

Too bad, no such 'medicines' exist. Lol.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
In regards to the recent SARS drill posted above, I was able to find this:

H.R.307 - Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Reauthorization Act of 2013

Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Act Reauthorization of 2013 - Title I: Strengthening National Preparedness and Response for Public Health Emergencies - (Sec. 101) Amends the Public Health Service Act (PHSA) to require the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) to submit the National Health Security Strategy to the relevant congressional committees in 2014. Revises the Strategy's preparedness goals, in part to specify that the drills and exercises included in periodic evaluations of federal, state, local, and tribal preparedness and response capabilities also include drills and exercises to ensure medical surge capacity for events without notice.
Source

I think we'll be seeing a lot more of these drills as time goes on.

edit on 19-5-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
Oh no more bird flu type diseases, I MUST rush out and buy some 'medicine' from the big pharma companies to prevent it turning into a pandemic, for my safety and not their profits of course.

Yes, media organizations, medical organizations, and the World Health Organization have all lied and pretended that there is a new potentially lethal virus just to sell some cough mixture for... which corporation exactly?

Please use some common sense. There are plenty of organizations looking at this right now, all would have to be "in on" whatever bizarre conspiracy you think this is.

The fact is this has been reported in the UK and around the world for more than a couple of weeks. I saw mention of this weeks ago, and you're only just hearing about this in the USA?

I now American news is extremely insular, and you guys don't seem to know about anything going on outside the USA unless you're bombing the country or it's threatening to bomb you, but you guys really need to start reading and watching the news beyond what your national press is giving you.

Turn off CNN or whatever it is you watch, go on Yahoo! or Reuters, BBC and RT, actually READ news stories rather than rely on your talking heads to tell you what they think is important.

Really, the rest of the world has known about this for weeks, but America is more concerned with Honey Boo Boo.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

You've only been hearing about this for a couple of weeks in the U.K.? The rest of the world discovered this virus in mid-2012. I really envy your 2% faster news media... what I wouldn't give to have the /second-worst/ corporate media in the world.

Get off your 2% higher horse man.

EDIT: Those news organizations which you listed actually have "online" Internet websites which are accessible around the world.
edit on 25-5-2013 by Samtzurr because: was not facetious enough

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

As a Brit I think you may need to realise that I aint American as I too am British, but maybe you have't yet either grown one or maybe your sense of humour or sarcasm has been addled by your MacDonalds happy meal, or maybe from watching too much Britains got (no) talent?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join