It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO fleet over New York, May 11, 2013

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

They do not appear to be drifting, they look like a normal aircraft rather than a balloon.

The Chinese lantern possibility has already been ruled out due to the upper level winds, so these cannot be lanterns.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
They act and look like lanterns, there is no reason to suppose there is a great altitude involved either, just lanterns or possibly balloons all drifting not to fast in the same current of air.

The winds are the reason.

They must be at a great altitude to move at those speeds, as the winds at the time at around 5000 feet were relatively slow, so if they were lanterns, they would need to be much higher than 5000 feet, perhaps around 10,000 feet, but lanterns do not go that high, so these are not likely to be lanterns.

These can be other things, but Chinese lanterns is something they are not, regardless of how they appear.

I am not trying to offend anyone, I am simply stating facts.
edit on 18-5-2013 by extraterrestrialentity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by extraterrestrialentity

Originally posted by smurfy
They act and look like lanterns, there is no reason to suppose there is a great altitude involved either, just lanterns or possibly balloons all drifting not to fast in the same current of air.

The winds are the reason.

They must be at a great altitude to move at those speeds, as the winds at the time at around 5000 feet were relatively slow, so if they were lanterns, they would need to be much higher than 5000 feet, perhaps around 10,000 feet, but lanterns do not go that high, so these are not likely to be lanterns.

These can be other things, but Chinese lanterns is something they are not, regardless of how they appear.

I am not trying to offend anyone, I am simply stating facts.

Those speeds are low, I see these things all the time from wedding parties etc from a very large hotel near me in County Down, they are often trapped in a stream of wind if it has any speed at all, they can sail along nicely, easily matching the speed in the video.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
That video presents no evidence of UFOs.

I could go outside
look towards the airport
and get the same footage again and again and again and again and again.....

SNIP

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 5/18/2013 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

That is most likely because the lanterns you saw were close by. The objects in this video appear very far away, they appear as small as stars.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd

I could go outside
look towards the airport

i dont facking come on here claiming their ufo's though fack

Please, go ahead, I would like to see you present a video similar to this while looking towards the airport.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by extraterrestrialentity

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd

I could go outside
look towards the airport

i dont facking come on here claiming their ufo's though fack

Please, go ahead, I would like to see you present a video similar to this while looking towards the airport.

i dont know why you think its so hard, i see this everyday

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by extraterrestrialentity

The objects in this video appear very far away, they appear as small as stars.

You have nothing to judge their distance from the camera on as they are just lights in the sky , whats more likely a UFO fleet or someone letting of a bunch of lanterns at a Saturday night party (11 May) .
Judging from personal experience and having seen many videos of lanterns they are lanterns .

edit on 18-5-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I have the ground, houses, and trees to judge their distance. I also have upper air data that shows these cannot be Chinese lanterns.

Not everything is a Chinese lantern.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Do you know the size of the objects ?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex

Do you know the size of the objects ?

I know the size of a Chinese lantern.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by WASTYT
I hate to say it, but these look like those dreaded Chinese lanterns that have been ruining potential smoking gun UFO videos for years.

Sorry mate.

Looking like it and being it are two different things. You need a little more to prove it's Chinese Lanterns, for example the launching party taking credit or one of them landing or a clear shot showing it is lanterns...soooo...Trying to figure out why you're sorry, though I will take your word for it.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Freaking chinese lanterns...is this thread still going strong..pathetic.

Really everyone who says it is chinese lanterns must prove it...yet the OP making it a point to say they are aircraft..does not need proven. If aircraft..show me the where they took off from..who flew them..are they military?..civilian?..if military what base are they from?

If alien spacecraft...show me they lights are from a solid object...not just lights in a lantern. Show me the full trajectory they flew. Get the speeds these lanterns..oops..aircraft flew.

So many more..find these out for me..and I will do my damnedest to find the launching party of the chinese lanterns. OP first..though..after all he/she is making the claim they are aircraft..prove it.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This is getting out of control in this forum lately. Keep the discussion on the topics and off each other.

Aliens and UFOs: This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historic and contemporary events related to extraterrestrial encounters, UFO sightings, and speculation about related subjects. Discussion topics and follow-up responses in this forum will likely tend to lean in favor of the existence of extraterrestrials and the related conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups. Members who would seek to refute such theories should be mindful of our tradition of supporting the examination of the extraterrestrial phenomenon on the related conspiracy theories, cover-ups, and scandals. Replies that make fun or otherwise ridicule and demean those posting honest experiences and/or questions will be removed. Members who post such responses repeatedly will be banned.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Originally posted by WASTYT
I hate to say it, but these look like those dreaded Chinese lanterns that have been ruining potential smoking gun UFO videos for years.

Sorry mate.

Looking like it and being it are two different things. You need a little more to prove it's Chinese Lanterns, for example the launching party taking credit or one of them landing or a clear shot showing it is lanterns...soooo...Trying to figure out why you're sorry, though I will take your word for it.

Wait, I have to prove it's lanterns?

Or, you have to prove it's extraterrestrials you mean..

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I don't think the lights are that spectacular or interesting. But they are not Chinese lanterns. They are moving way to fast. The lady has to pan all the way left to pick up some lights appearing over the houses. With in two minute those lights are the complete other side of town. They traveled over a mile in one minute. That is way to fast for a Chinese lantern.

If you think those lights are traveling at less then 60mph, your wrong. If you think they are Chinese lanterns, your wrong. If you think those lights are not that interesting, you might be right about that.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
From how far away could we expect to see the light from a tiny candle inside a paper shade? And how fast could the wind be pushing it before that same wind blew out the candle? How long does the candle burn inside those lanterns, so we can compare that to each individual sighting?

Just wondering. I've never seen a UFO or a Chinese lantern but that was actually an impressive video considering it was just another 'lights in the sky' at night...

How come those massive oddly shaped things never go overhead in the light of day, and how come nobody who sees one at night ever shines a very large flashlight or spotlight on one to get a better look at it than just lights in the sky?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Not sure what it is, but they are not laterns at all. How can chinese laterns travel at such a speed and have apparent light to us from so far way. It is also stupid to consider anything UFOs or something like that.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Xnibiru

How can chinese laterns travel at such a speed and have apparent light to us from so far way.

Speed of travel is dictated by wind speed at the altitude of the lanterns , as for distance these appear further away than the OP video but can still be seen .

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xnibiru
Not sure what it is, but they are not laterns at all. How can chinese laterns travel at such a speed and have apparent light to us from so far way. It is also stupid to consider anything UFOs or something like that.

I've been reading around and watching lantern videos. A lantern can stay lit for a max of 20 minutes. That is much longer then I expected. Plus after watching a bunch of videos and doing all kinds of BS calculations haha. I have determined that even on a calm day. Once the lantern it up in the air it can get traveling at 15mph no problems at all. I would even call that average. I'm assuming they can get upwards of 30mph before they start to burn out or tumble. The lights in the OP's video now seem to me, to be going 45mph. I would call that plausible actually.

The bag somewhat shields the candle from the wind. Plus once the bag is launched, and traveling at the speed of the wind, there will be no more resistance to it. I'm starting to realize that Chinese lanterns can actually travel much faster then I first thought.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join