It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diaper change in Starbucks seating area ends with store calling Denver police

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
It's a dilemma many parents face. Your baby needs a diaper change, but there's no changing table in the restroom.

One mom decided to change her child's diaper out in the open at a Denver Starbucks and what happened next ended with a call to police.

"As a mother, you have to do what you have to do. Wherever you have to do it," Burgos said.

Burgos noticed there was no changing table at the Denver Starbucks on the 7900 block of East 49th Avenue so she changed her son's diaper in the seating area.

"I just kind of wiped him off, cleaned him off as quickly as I could," Burgos said.

www.9news.com...

An employee then told her to make sure she cleans the mess up and tossed her a rag.
Naturally, the parents got offended and went back at the employee purposely spilling coffee on the floor and telling the employee to clean THAT mess up.....
Of course, after that, things got heated and carried away until the cops were called. [no arrests]

Okay, I understand not having a changing table, however......
NOT on an eating table!! Come on.....
Not very sanitary at all.

I have never seen a easy, clean wipe of a butt when changing a diaper.
And the smell.....HA! I know many who would have gagged!!

I have seen many Mom's change right out of their vehicles or on the counter in the bathroom but never on a dining table.

That would not sit right with me either I'm afraid.
Go ahead and flame me for that, but damn, it's the truth.
Some things should be kept out of the dining area.

Needless to say, Starbucks apologized to the couple......

edit on 17-5-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

To be honest I agree with you. It's disgusting she changed the diaper on the table. It's not sanitary. Also why would you bring your baby to a busy place like a Starbucks?

+1 more 
posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Presumably, it would have been quite alright, then, for patrons walking past the diaper changer to regurgitate thier food on the diaper changer?

Å99

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Least change the kid in the stroller..

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww Gross....

I won't be going there anytime soon.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267

To be honest I agree with you. It's disgusting she changed the diaper on the table. It's not sanitary. Also why would you bring your baby to a busy place like a Starbucks?

Good, I'm not alone feeling disgusted by this.

Also, why is it Starbuck's place to provide them a place to change the diaper?
What would they have done if there was no Starbucks?
Used the car?? That would have been better than a cafe place.

To me, they sounded rude and didn't care what any one thought.
No one was supposed to say any thing to them.

I know I probably would have. YUCK!!!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Originally posted by Phoenix267

Good, I'm not alone feeling disgusted by this.

Also, why is it Starbuck's place to provide them a place to change the diaper?
What would they have done if there was no Starbucks?
Used the car?? That would have been better than a cafe place.

To me, they sounded rude and didn't care what any one thought.
No one was supposed to say any thing to them.

I know I probably would have. YUCK!!!

I would have thrown up all over them!

Å99

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
This thread should be about starbugs not providing facilities.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
In the seating area like on a bench or on an actual table? And I'm assuming the baby was poopy. Not cool if on table and why not take him/her to the car or use counter in bathroom.

I was in a restaurant two weeks ago with my 11 year old. Seated directly next to us were two women and a boy about my sons age. The child literally was sitting on the table with his shoes off and feet sprawled out. The two woman said nothing. Other patrons had to look twice as we did. It was distracting and unsanitary. I did not see him as disabled as he was talking normally and like any other kid, and walked in there on his own.

The waitresses seemed uncomfortable but I noticed that as time went by people started to behave as if it was normal. Food was served. The table tipped slightly a few times as seen through peripheral vision (couldn't avoid seeing it). Table was found with a center support so not the stronest in my opinion. It seemingly bothered no one so my son and I decided that that breakfast was a trip to mars and an alternate reality. Had to make light out of it somehow.

Just had to share that.

+17 more 
posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Why apologize? It is something that should never happen on a table where people sit and eat. I understand the conundrum of having a soiled child with no baby changing table in the bathroom, but this could have still been done in the bathroom on the counter, in her car, in the store next door's bathroom, The convenience store down the road's bathroom (with baby changing table) --Anywhere but on a table at a restaurant or cafe. It's common sense, common decency, too.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Maybe y'all should read the article. Never once did it mention the child was changed on the table.

The employee said to wipe the seat when he was done. From that I gather he did it in a booth not the table.

+14 more 
posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I am tired of people who show little consideration for others. Coffee shop had every right to throw these people out or call police.

There is a woman in our neighbood who walks her dog and let's the dog poop on other peoples front lawn.

I have seen her let the dog do this on both of my neighbours lawn.

When it happens on my lawn, I am ready with a bucket and I am going to pick it up and follow her home, then I am going to dump it on her front lawn.

link   
It irritates me that people or businesses apologize when they are in the right just become someone had their feelings hurt. Its stupid little pinpricks like this that is making life miserable for most. All just to be politically correct.

The couple should have been charged with publically disposing of a biological waste.

link   

It's plain old unsanitary. It isn't fair for other patrons to be exposed to the germs. It's hard to tell if the mother changed the baby on the seat or the table, it just states seating area. If it's the table, that is uncalled for. As parents, we can't always tell when our baby may need a change. If it was just wet, it could wait or should have been checked ahead of time. If it was a stinky one, they should have went outside to their car or at least out of the restaurant area.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImTheGreatest
Maybe y'all should read the article. Never once did it mention the child was changed on the table.

The employee said to wipe the seat when he was done. From that I gather he did it in a booth not the table.

It said 'seating area'...
It doesn't matter whether on table or seat, they should have known better and had respect for the fellow patrons in there as well as the employees who have to wipe down seats/tables.

+6 more 
posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I'm a restaurant owner and have to agree with the owners. If this happened in my place and the health board walked in I'd be closed in a minute.

BUT...It's not a huge cost to have the ready made changing fold out table in the washrooms either.

IMO...Both are at fault.

The baby? Just doing what they do best and can't be blamed.

Peace

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
What a bunch of nonsense. Fine, the Starbucks didn't have a changing table. Are they required to? Does that really make it appropriate for you to change your child on a DINING TABLE? People eat there. It's disgusting. You couldn't do that in the car? Are you really unprepared for this eventuality? Your child is YOUR problem, you clean up after it and do your best not to make everyone else uncomfortable. And then that fat bastard poured his coffee on the ground? What a jackass.

If the stars line up and I meet the girl of my dreams and have a child I'm not going to subject the general public to that child's bodily functions if I can help it (I will train my child to puke on command when passing Olive Garden though). I'm certainly going to be capable of finding a more appropriate place than a freaking table.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Inquisitive1

Why apologize? It is something that should never happen on a table where people sit and eat. I understand the conundrum of having a soiled child with no baby changing table in the bathroom, but this could have still been done in the bathroom on the counter, in her car, in the store next door's bathroom, The convenience store down the road's bathroom (with baby changing table) --Anywhere but on a table at a restaurant or cafe. It's common sense, common decency, too.

I would not have apologized.
And yeah, I would have tossed her a rag and said make sure you clean up.

Actually, I would have told them that this is not the place [seating area] to be doing that, which would still have led to an argument since these parents haven't got a clue about common sense or decency towards others.

edit on 17-5-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Obviously no one here read the article.

She didn't change her child on a DINING table. She changed the baby on a seat.

"He said make sure to wipe the seat when you're done," he said. "They started talking amongst themselves and laughing about it."

I find it humorous that so many people are so offended at a misrepresentation of what actually happened. Is this really the meat and potatoes of what we're here for?

Also, the lady was doing what she had to do as a mother. When your kid poops you don't jog down the street while your kid luxuriates in his/her own filth. The problem really started when some snide, hipster Starbucks employee was a disrespectful smartass about it.

I'm not saying the mother didn't have a better option - but when these things happen you just be..a human about it.

Are we really so insensitive as a society to look down on a woman caring for her child? You people make me sad.
edit on 17-5-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the whole point of a diaper is to prevent, as in hold temporarily, the waste products we really don't want to see, touch, smell, and so on.... so when you have a diaper that is doing its job..... can't it wait a few minutes? As in, go out to your car to change the diaper rather than INSIDE AN EATING ESTABLISHMENT? The diaper isn't just a warning bell to say something has happened, its to contain what happened until there is a Time and Place to change it!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412
It's a dilemma many parents face. Your baby needs a diaper change, but there's no changing table in the restroom.
...I have seen many Mom's change right out of their vehicles or on the counter in the bathroom but never on a dining table.

That would not sit right with me either I'm afraid.
Go ahead and flame me for that, but damn, it's the truth.
Some things should be kept out of the dining area.

I have seen tons of moms, dads, whomevers...change the baby in the parking lot, and toss the dirty diaper on the pavement. That's disgusting too. Especially when you're the next one to park in that space, step out of your vehicle, and have to dodge (if you lucky enough) that little monster!

Maybe Jude11 is right... Maybe Starbuck's should accept responsibility for their negligence in the matter...
That, though, does not excuse the parents, in this instance.

Breast-feeding in public - while potentially distractive, can be done/accomplished modestly and...in many cases, to the delight of the attending public ( --- to shut the baby up, gutter-mind!)...

Gotta wonder, though, at the logic of these parents...
If they happened to get "hot and bothered" (for whatever reason), while in the Starbuck's...and there wasn't enough space in the restroom to comfortably do the do... Would they have considered it Starbuck's fault...and "done the do" in their seating area?
Hope not.
Same logic, though.
(Meaning - they could have gone to the backseat of their car if the need was that pressing.)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join