A statue of Responsibility

page: 1

join

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
It's amazing how little it takes to make a good and healthy human being. Treat them nicely; encourage personal growth... And yet, this is not yet the world we live in. Totally unnecessary evils could easily be avoided.

This is why, despite my conservative views vis a vis economics, I am in full league support of a social policy that encourages spiritual awareness, closeness with others, tolerance of differences, patience, compassion, environmentalism, etc

I realize were working against evolutionarily evolved psychological traits like anger, covetousness, jealousy, deception, collusion, etc.. But in our day and age, in our other worldly civilization, which bears almost no resemblance to the hundreds of thousands of years of human history - and development - which preceded it, I think it's time we move into another ontological category. As animals, the evolutionarily evolved social traits of anger, deception, collusion, gossip, meanness, bravado, etc, had their social value i.e. they protected oneself from the harshness of the world around them. But how unconscious were these people! They didn't have the sensibility to know and study the nature of human relations at a macrocosmic level, and were never in a position to initiate social programs that could transform these destructive emotions, and so make the world a safer place for a greater number of people.

Every time someone argues the "importance" of the lesser emotions, to argue that the raw animalism of our nature requires expression (like what Carl Jung would have argued, with his concept of the "shadow"), I am reminded of the slew of individuals suffering from the scars of injustice, with PTSD caused from needless bullying, or from fighting in needless wars, or parental abuse.

This is all totally avoidable. And what do we have to do? To civilize ourselves beyond the recent historical standard, which has left millions needlessly injured, and suffering from conditions they didn't have to have - had we acted more responsibly.. To make sure that these people don't exist, you have to have people understand and appreciate the importance of being conscious of the emotional lives of other people. This is living more than in the "outer" world which we all share in common. Becoming conscious of the spiritual lives of others, and of all humanity, in short, to understand the importance of the inner selves of others, makes us share the same common inner reality.

Viktor Frankl once said, perhaps prophetically, that the Statue of Liberty needs to be flanked on the west coast with a statue of responsibility. This would complete the picture: a human being needs to live more than just for himself, but also for the selves of others.

Frankl wrote: "Freedom, however, is not the last word. Freedom is only part of the story and half of the truth. Freedom is but the negative aspect of the whole phenomenon whose positive aspect is responsibleness. In fact, freedom is in danger of degenerating into mere arbitrariness unless it is lived in terms of responsibleness."

edit on 17-5-2013 by Astrocyte because: (no reason given)

new topics

join