It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick to my stomac, White Supremacist Elected to GOP...(2008 old news)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Ok, so this is a story from 2008 but i just read it and it really speaks volumes about the crappy little town i live in and how uneducated and unevolved the people of this area are. It really makes me sick to see this kind of hate and to think this hate is so prevalent in the area that it can get you elected.

T hinkprogress.org

Republicans in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania have elected Steve Smith, a lifelong white supremacist with close ties to neo-Nazi groups and groups like Aryan Nations, to the county’s GOP Committee.

A slap in the face to every WW2 vet still alive and to anyone who ever served. Unpatriotic, and inexcusable.
edit on 17-5-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Well first off, do you live in that district? If so, I can understand why you would be bothered if he wasn't your choice. While I don't agree with him, the people of that district can elect anything from a bat-crazy lunatic (that about covers 50% of representatives) to a polarizing figure (the other 50%) of representatives.

It is called self-governance and these people will wrought their own in this regard I suppose.

ETA:
Also, do you have a less....say....partisan link we can research him on? Thinkprogress is not the greatest when it comes to uncovering "GOP" or anyone else not of their ilk.
edit on 17-5-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Looks like he's not on the committee any longer?

Link

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

No, but how did he get elected in the first place? Just insanity..

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

People voted for him....that is a silly question.

ETA....apparently, no one cared about that position on the committee since he won by his own vote.
edit on 17-5-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

link   
Huffington

Check that one out.. little less biased of a source..

link   
Wonder if the op would be equally outraged at the longest serving KKK member in congress Senator Robery Byrd, who died recently, and his party sung his praises after his passing.

Oh He wasn't a member of the GOP.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Thats disgusting as well. What the hell is wrong with people? We need to seriously step up to these types of people and not be afraid anymore. Im tired of being around so much hate, if we cant lead the way here in America how can we be an example for the rest of the world?

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
What do you care? People are entitled to their beliefs. Go do something positive with your life instead of worrying about evil white supremacists or "hate" in the world.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by WP4YT

Obviously it matters if hate mongers are becoming elected officials, if you dont see how this directly affects the day to day lives of open minded, loving and caring individuals in an area of hate and racism then i dont know what to tell. And yes i stand up to this type of bull# in my day to day life when its necessary.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

There are a lot of elected officials screwing my life over who aren't white supremacists. instead let's just ban elected officials altogether

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by WP4YT

Sounds good. I can agree with that notion.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by BobM88

No, but how did he get elected in the first place? Just insanity..

I'm glad you asked.

There was not a huge field running. Also, he only got one vote, a write in, most likely he wrote his own name on the ballot. But, it was enough...

Luzerne County Republican Committee Statement on the Election of Steve Smith

Mr. Smith was elected as one of two Republican Committeemen from Pittston City Ward 4. He was elected with only one write-in vote – a vote that was most likely his own. The other two write-in votes cast in this ward went to Mr. George Carmean, a long-time committee member of the LCRC.

Pennsylvania State election code allows any registered Republican or Democrat to write their name in to become a member of the County Committee. The Bylaws of the Luzerne County Republican Committee indicate that the only qualification for election to the County Committee be that one has been a registered Republican for the two years preceding their election

So, it's not like "The Republicans" elected this guy - he basically saw an opportunity and wrote his own name in - and due to the ways the rules are written he got away with it.

PS - Good for Huff Post for telling the truth on this.
I wish I could as much spin on a cue ball as the first source did on this.

edit on 17-5-2013 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Interesting i want to try and do the same thing.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Voters are a strange bird indeed.

From another groove on the coin's edge, just look at some of the continuously re-elected people from some districts and States.

Nancy Pelosi, Ted Kennedy, Barbara Boxer, Henry Waxman, and Harry Reid are just 5 examples of what ultra extreme winged voters can and will do.

The five above are very extreme in their thinking and actions.

edit on May-18-2013 by xuenchen because:

join