It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New App Lets You Boycott Koch Brothers, Monsanto And More By Scanning Your Shopping Cart

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

What if it's a huge file...how many people do you think have the room when they have all their music, pics, and videos. Also if you send them an email they just might send it if you make good argument.

ETA: Or you could offer to pay for it...it sucks but money makes things happen just the world we live in right now.
edit on 17-5-2013 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Now, if this app would automatically inform said companies that their product is not being purchased once it is found to belong to the parent company, that would be great.

Or tie it into twitter, so a crap ton of tweets go out to the company every time a product is not purchased.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Just because I scan it doesn't mean I'm buying it.
edit on 5/17/2013 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

It DOES show your interest, and pass on your number and location etc.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

I dont think it would be a very large file, and anyway it could easily be compressed. Most mobile phones could EASILY handle a small database.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
They only have the "fruit on the box" app so far, it says android app coming soon.
Too bad too.
(Edit)
It is Buycott and not boycott.
edit on 17-5-2013 by g146541 because: just fyi

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Well I guess your best bet will be to email them and ask or offer something for it. I have no doubt that would be the place to start if you wanted that. Or you could just say F*** it and give up and not use it because it bugs you out.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I intend to write them and find out an eta if any on that...I guess that will let me know how serious they are.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by StoutBroux
This sounds like a great app but many people already know most of the foods sold in the main grocery stores are not free of the green thumb of Monsanto. So if you don't already have an organic store to shop from, you might be losing a few pounds.....which could be a good thing.

Hmmm that IS a bit of a wake up call to the optimism of this thread. I mean, how many people who go into the store and find out that 80% of what they scan is Monsanto are really going to not buy their favorite dessert? How many are really going to give up drinking Coke? Tostitos chips, etc? Anyone truly concerned about any of this has the ability right now to find out anything they want about the food in the grocery store. My favorite thing is cheesecake. But what happens if you find out that ALL store bought cheesecakes are laced with canola oil? Do you stop buying it? I did, and started making my own - but it was a bit of a jolt at first.

On the other hand, this app could really boost people with just a peripheral interest in such matters into understanding more what's in the grocery store.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by StoutBroux
This sounds like a great app but many people already know most of the foods sold in the main grocery stores are not free of the green thumb of Monsanto. So if you don't already have an organic store to shop from, you might be losing a few pounds.....which could be a good thing.

Hmmm that IS a bit of a wake up call to the optimism of this thread. I mean, how many people who go into the store and find out that 80% of what they scan is Monsanto are really going to not buy their favorite dessert? How many are really going to give up drinking Coke? Tostitos chips, etc? Anyone truly concerned about any of this has the ability right now to find out anything they want about the food in the grocery store. My favorite thing is cheesecake. But what happens if you find out that ALL store bought cheesecakes are laced with canola oil? Do you stop buying it? I did, and started making my own - but it was a bit of a jolt at first.

On the other hand, this app could really boost people with just a peripheral interest in such matters into understanding more what's in the grocery store.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
cant seem to find it..

anybody know why it might not be available in australia?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Cool idea but I wonder if this app has draconian permissions like that SOPA one had. I refused to put that one on my phone after I read what all they wanted access to.

Have any of you guys looked to see what they want from you in return for their services?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

New App Lets You Boycott Koch Brothers, Monsanto And More By Scanning Your Shopping Cart

www. forbes.com

Once you’ve scanned an item, Buycott will show you its corporate family tree on your phone screen. Scan a box of Splenda sweetener, for instance, and you’ll see its parent, McNeil Nutritionals, is a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson JNJ +0.73%.

Even more impressively, you can join user-created campaigns to boycott business practices that violate your principles rather than single companies. One of these campaigns, Demand GMO Labeling, will scan your box of cereal and tell you if it was made by one of the 36 corporations that donated more than $150,000 to oppose the mandatory labeling of g
(visit the link for the full news article)

Installed on Iphone 4s and running. So we'll see.

Related News Links:
www.cnet.com
www.huffingtonpost.com
www.triplepundit.com
www.breitbart.co m

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Works on mine pal, Iphone 4s Optus.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by blahblah454

It's probably just a scam by Monsanto's and others to see how many people scan one of there products.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Nice app.. Want to get me a smartphone now also.

Just wonder if I can get one and this app, before GMO groups cry foul and use their limitless resources to make it illegal..lol

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
They only have the "fruit on the box" app so far, it says android app coming soon.
Too bad too.
(Edit)
It is Buycott and not boycott.
edit on 17-5-2013 by g146541 because: just fyi

yeah , i have the Nokia windows 8 phone , so i dont know if they will release it or not , lets wait and see

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I had the idea for making this app last year, i even told all you guys about it. I'm glad someone has done it!

Originally posted by MrSpiderMonkey
Crazy,

Anyway here's an idea inspired by your post. Choice is vital; that's my the law to label GMO food doesn't go through. We deserve a right to know what's in something and then decide for ourselves if we want to buy/eat it. So if the likes of Monsanto get away giving us GMO food and not having to tell us then someone should make an app and build up a database of known GMO food. The consumer scans in the bar code with their phone and it comes back with info on its GMO content, like if its GM free or potentially from animals fed GMO food and so on. Like a computer virus scanner, but for our food!

Original thread

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   

im not particularly fussed about the whole monsanto thing to be honest but i think this app is a pretty good idea

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
The app should down load the database to your phone,

The problem is that a lot of these companies change hands quite a lot too. You might find that you would have to have that database downloaded to your phone once a week, but it's already a MASSIVE database of corporations and businesses as it is, with more being bought up by the big corporations every week.

I get why you would prefer it to be that way, but with the size of it and the constant changes I don't think that would be practical.

I love the idea of the app too, and I will be downloading it. It's a great way to put power back in the hands of the people. If governments cannot wean themselves off of that corrupt corporate sponsorship, we have to do it for them.

This could make corporate sponsorship of politicians almost irrelevant in future years - even if they could lobby a politician to give them preferential treatment, we could all show our disgust with that within moments around the world by dropping their brands!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

This is a great idea that brings control back to the consumer. There are various reward programs for consumer loyalty but I have always wondered if customer loyalty should be shown to corporations that not only offer a good product but that treats workers fairly, offers vacations, health insurance and pays a living wage. Thought there should be exactly this sort of guide book so consumers could make educated choices. I would also like to patronize those companies that don't pollute the earth or have a negative impact in wildlife areas.

edit on 18-5-2013 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join