It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will printing E-clothing at home destroy the fabric of our country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The Fight for E-Clothing

I was really surprised to read an interview today about the future of printing clothes. Much like the printing of guns it seems as if this fledgling industry is already being stifled in the name of American jobs. While I understand the premise, I beleive we are destroying innovation at its core.

I'm curious to what other members think, and if this is just the beginning of banning self sufficiency in the name of jobs and our economy.
edit on 5/17/2013 by atzmaz because: missing word

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well, honestly, I don't see the difference between this and people who used to make their own furniture, or, heaven forbid, sew their own clothes in the past.

It is a healthier society when people can grow their own food, sew their own clothes, make their own furniture, etc. - we should be promoting this, because it makes society more stable.
edit on 17-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by atzmaz

This will truly not be an issue.
Sure 3D printers will sell and folks will print a number of things.
But we humans at the core truly are simply too lazy!
We could buy fabric and sew our own clothes but, without a logo on them, the other kids will brand us as "uncool".
Really folks, we could go to the market for a fraction of the price and pick up all of the fixins for the worlds best hamburger, why do we go to McDonalds and pick up a trashburger instead???
We are simply lazy is all.
Some will use the new tech, but the impact to big industry will be minimal.
This issue seems like a distraction from something else...

(Edit)
Plus the idea of PVC underwear just ...ummm...rubs me the wrong way.

edit on 17-5-2013 by g146541 because: itchy and scratchy show

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by atzmaz

You are aware that the "interview" that you read is a piece of fiction that is part of the Letters from the Future collection at Google+, yes?

And, from the Link provided, it appears to more about copywriting vs open source issues. It mentions the Finnish Pirate Party which I've heard passing mention off but, regretfully, know nothing of any substance about.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Well not everyone is that lazy. I'm growing a garden for the fifth year in a row. I'm not going to get into 3-D printing, though, because it is past my technological singularity.Windows 8 is pushing it for me.

Also, I'm not sure if it is laziness, or peer pressure.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Agreed, and I'm not lazy either.
I have tools and I have tools to fix tools and Etc...
But for the most part folks are lazy, otherwise there would be no big corporations.
They thrive on our weaknesses.
Star to ya!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Although the premise of the thread is a fiction, as a discussion piece it is very interesting.

Are people too lazy? Sadly, yes. And many folks lack the artistic notions to design anything effectively. Homer Simpsons car....a wonderful example of the average joe.

But look at the foodservice industry. People can cook their own food relatively easily, and get 5 star results. I am having a 5 star meal tonight that cost me under $40 to prepare. It isn't hard. But most people are just "too busy" to do these things.

Then again....from the perspective of piracy....people aren't too lazy to get something that is truly free (movies, songs, etc). The key is "free". 3d printing isn't free at all. The costs, while they may drop, will always have some level of substance.

But this is all a diversion. If 3d printing were ever stifled in the interest of jobs, my question is why did we not evolve our economy to be able to handle it?

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by atzmaz

Things like this are known as disruptive technologies in the west. We shun there use.. Where as in China they are embracing such technologies..

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Gonna be a real body blow to the vast slave labour manufactures of Indonesia, technology like this potentialy puts a vast majority of the third world out of business and potential destabilizes the wests entirely dependent commerce relationship with such slave labour economic zones. Which is you wont find much interest in the west for technology like this being pushed.

3D printers should have taken over by now, but nope, not seeing them on the high streets any time soon. Weird.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The materials are currently to expensive and uses are limited for what can be replicated.
You could see it coming to this though, order online 2 seconds later a new one.

You would think technology like this will be monitored, they will push it to mass produced levels as its great for people who have it but imagine the technology oon the go once that levels reach.

Look at all the things you currently get at home, entertainment, warmth, food and water. This will fit right in.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
What would it matter? Most of this stuff isn't even made in North America anymore lol. If anything it would actually be good if these large greedy corporations were driven out of business. Then they wouldn't be able to exploit the less fortunate countries anymore.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by atzmaz

When was the last time you bought clothes that were made in the USA? I don't see many union lables on clothes.
The stuff you buy now lasts only half a dozen trips through the wash before it starts to look like crap anyhow so why not print them? If they can be remelted, recycled and reprinted all the better- closed loop.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Why is everyone continuing to comment on this when it is fiction?

As mentioned by one poster above - who everyone has conveniently ignored - this is not reality, there is no polymer clothing printer, this story is FICTION

But then you would have all discovered this if you had done more than just believe what the OP has written, or read the link and trusted it without question.

As I've said before, the motto here is Deny Ignorance, but too many embrace it as a way of life - you shouldn't just trust everything you read, or selectively trust what you think is right.
edit on 19-5-2013 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The subject line made me laugh my butt off lol

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
i realise the pen is not ready to buy but with 3d printing and other ideas you have to consider the possibilities.

new topics

top topics

join