It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Warning About Invisible Comets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   

New Warning About Invisible Comets
�Invisible� comet could hit earth, scientists claim
Scientists now warn that with even the most sophisticated astronomical scanning technology, dangerous meteorites are being missed and could possibly hit the earth with no warning. Professor Wickramasinghe of the Cardiff University�s center for Astrobiology claims that we can no longer assume that we have decades or even years of warning for certain space objects that are �invisible� to current tracking methods.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Now we have another War on Terror from an unknown enemy that has the power to wipe out our entire world. Thanks Bush, this is all your fault.

Cardiff University, Holy Shi... Thats the University that I teach at!

[edit on 11/5/2004 by Simulacra]

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
You know, there's an assumption that these are NEW threats.

Now, think about that for a minute.

Yes, that's right. Those "threats" have ALWAYS existed, ever since the Earth formed. If it wasn't one comet fragmenting, it was another one (yes, I realize that they don't have an infinite lifetime and that they cause meteor showers.)

But suddenly becoming aware of them isn't going to make them any more likely than they were before. If anything, it makes it more likely that we'll find them and stop them.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Yeah. www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's what I'm saying in this thread.

There can be an interdimensional orb so close to this planet as to actually affect the balance of the solar eclectic--make it wobble [see soho for 10/27]--and yet be visible to cameras all over the world.

Still, people look up to the sky won't actually >see< it because their eyes are not made of the same "stuff" [as in, nuclear particles] so there is "nothing to perceive" in front of one's eyes.

Yeah. I think many UFOs are also interdimensional, and they never REACH DOWN this far, to this surface, but land on a surface "over our heads."

Otherwise, how could "Heaven"--which is a place to live--be "up there," if "up there" is not actually another SURFACE of this planet, made up of lighter particles than "our" surface.

Whaddayu think about that?

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Emily_Craigg I think you misinterpreted what this article was saying. It didn't mean literally invisible comets, it was talking about comets so small that our radar systems looking into space don't pick them up, thus we don't see them coming until they're breaking up in our atmosphere or plunging into the ground

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Emily_Cragg

I think you are obsessed with dirt on camera lens.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
i forget the website but its a minor planet site and lists all the NEO's discovered.
I can recall a few times when i heard of astronomers being waken at night to go track a newly found object that could possibly impact earth in (x ammout of hours). and ive heard about 4 or 5 in teh past year. As an astronomer myself, i and along with most of the astronomical community are constantly agervated by the lack of care that and literally any second a large meteor could clam inot your city and destroy it or destroy the world as we know it.
but you cant just say OOPS its bush's fault he went to war on terror and didnt invest the money to fix that problem. clinton cut so many space programs and took out he budget. and any way the threat has ALWAYS BEEN THERE. its not all bush fault. the goverment could care less about science in general. in the last issue of "Popular Science" they did a sequel to last years artice "the worst science jobs" and in this years list they had seantor advisor the little article about it it stated that the seantors you advise simply dont care.

the threat has always been there and will always be there what matters is how we respond to it and i don think its going to be much longer till our luck runs out. but who ever is in charge thats who the blame will be put it. the people clamoring for a fix now are goign to be told " WHy didnt yall do soemthingg?" when they have been argueing to do sometnig for years.

if you have ever tried to find an asteroid its hard even when you know where to look so dont jump on the gun too fast.

goverment dollars are being miss spent and important projects that will yeail great long term results are cut every day simply because the effects are not immeidate

and people say money doesnt run teh world ha....

[edit on 7-11-2004 by Mizar]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I thought all comets were invisible to us if the sun isn't behind them?

As Byrd said. Not a new threat by anyones reckoning, it's just another doomer tale so that the NEO programs can get better budgets.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I�ve just read an article about the thematic "What shall we do, if a comet will hit the earth" (or something like that)..the actual NASA telescope(s?) are able to catch a view of a comet, who�s 30 years away from mother earth..Thats a long time to think about a systematic who let the comet sheer away with human "hand"..just a conception..

Well, I can�t affirm the truth of this article but its quit possible.

The next generation of Hubble is already in space, don�t know the name yet, but it has something to do with infrared technology..What says: It�s better than Hubble..

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Mizar, I LIKE you. You speak from both empathy and despair. You're real.

But you haven't addressed what the Gummint could and should do about comets, meteors and "pennies from Heaven." It has nothing to do with how science is conducted; it has to do with HOW HUMANS ARE TREATED in light of potential threats.

In order for human--individual families and communities--to survive an astronomical event--cometary debris, the quakes, the floods--what needs to be the case is that people are AUTONOMOUS, having our own air supply, water supply, seed supply and be relatively skilled in caring for all our own needs.

This criterion is absolutely 180 degrees INIMICAL to Capitalistic Determinism; which is to say, no way Wal-Mart can sell its slave labor goods if every American family was making their own clothing, masters of ingenuity. No way Safeway and Giant Foods would be very big if each family grew their own food--as in the days of yore.

What Capitalistic Determinism PRACTICES is long-distance distribution from centralized stores. ANY astronomical event makes access to those stores problematical. Whether astronomers know something's coming or not, the stage is now set for Americans to be fenced like barn animals because they are ignorant and unskilled in caring for their own needs.

China is smart. They have decentralized to the very maximum, possible, in terms of human survival. THAT is what any government should do in order to prepare for centralized terrorism, centralized looting and natural disasters.

That's NOT what FEMA is doing. FEMA is building "shelters" for large groups of Americans that look suspiciously unlike shelters, if you've read the on-line descriptions of rail cars studded with shackles and tent cities surrounded by barbed wire and re-eductation shacks. So, the USA is NOT decentralizing to facilitate survival of individual families. It is massing controls over families and people.

In my mind at least, this is not only evil, but the very DEFINITION OF EVIL: making it impossible for people to survive on their own but instead immobilizing and disempowering them. And that's why so many are running scared, not wanting to be treated like barn animals by any self-righteous bunch of thugs--yes, thugs as in Rethuglican.

So the problems of what to do in massive disasters is not the astronomer's to deal with; merely to narrate what is actually appearing on the horizon each day.

Chai

[edit on 6-11-2004 by Emily_Cragg]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
i have to aggree and yet diss aggre first i have to say thank you for the comment

I aggre that industral america has made us loose all ability to do stuff on our own. I think its a horrible thing. BUT i dont thinkit should be done by forcing our people to learn to make thir own clothing to supply for them selvs es and all that tuff. People need to learn to use what we have today but at the same tim elearn to do with out it. its like death you know it is coming to you and thoes around you. you know it will eventually happen but you dont revolve your life around it. instead you prepare yourself to deal witht the tradgey whne it happens and you deal with it.

look the technology wee have is great the fact that we can go into a store and buy our food and not worry about growing it the fact that we can go into a stroe and buy almost everything we need is great the fact that we can do alomst everything and not worry is great. why should we just say " OH! but one day its going to be gone so lets get rid of it now so we will be ready forthat day!" that doesnt make sense. look appreaciate what we have becasue one day it will be gone but also prepare for that day so that way when it comes you wil be rady to do with out it.

just becasue you have 5 good things in your life and 200 bad doesnt mean you have to dwell in the bad of your life there is still that 5 god things in your life go to them

look all im trying to say is i dont think people whould go back to rual ways of life just so we can be prepared for thes catrotspoic events we shd simply join boy scouts/ girl scouts as a kid learn how to do stuff for our selves and most off all...

LIVE NORMALY IN THE LIGHT BUT NEVER FORGET THAT YOU HAVE A SHADOW AND BE PREPARED!

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Yes indeed, every medium of exchange (coin) has TWO SIDES to it.

It can be USED appropriately; and it can be exploited and abused.

Really and virtually.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra

I think you are obsessed with dirt on camera lens.

i think i was trying to tell her something like that on her thread.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
When someone tells me they think I'm obsessed with something, there's nothing to retort, I just move on. That's not a comment spoken out of kindness or empathy.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
woops. duplicate. sorry

[edit on 8-11-2004 by Emily_Cragg]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It is true hat we are indeed vulnerable to " invisble " comets and or asteroids. NOT interdimensional spheroids....please, but rather undetected bodies.

Not only are we vulnerable to devestating impacts, but our risk is actually increasing daily as our solar system crosses the ecliptic plane of our galaxy, theoretically increasing the instability of the comets in the Ort cloud and the Kuiper belt respectively. The perturbations will inevitably send more debris our way.

It is true that the risk of impact has always affected this planet , it is also true that the likelihood of impending catastrophe is going up.

You can read more here:

The Coming Cometary Catastrophe

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 8-11-2004 by Alias Jones]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I always wonder about the tendency of people to worry more about danger from chaotic, random elements than they do about danger from the effects we have created ourselves.

I notice the Mayans, Aztecs, Sodomites, Gomorrites and other cultures that have disappeared from this planet--TENDED TO BE EXPLOITATIVE, SLAVISH VIOLENT and/or CRUEL.

Hmmm. And I think there's NO "They" for us to blame. We create our own outcomes. So, no, Alias, there's no increased cometary disasters unless we as a race deserve to get >WIPED< -- which of course we may.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alias Jones
Not only are we vulnerable to devestating impacts, but our risk is actually increasing daily as our solar system crosses the ecliptic plane of our galaxy, theoretically increasing the instability of the comets in the Ort cloud and the Kuiper belt respectively.

Alias, we're not crossing a magic "ecliptic plane of the galaxy"... the galaxy is vast. It's huge. There's no sudden dividing line where "ooops! We're not in the ecliptic plane and then suddenly we are!"

Here's some answers by physicists and astronomers:
www.physicsforums.com...'s_relation_to_Galactic_Plane.html
They boil down to "there's no magic line out there for an 'ecliptic' of the galaxy" and "the Milky Way Galaxy is currently cannibalizing other galaxies which MAY affect our arm of the galaxy in very tiny ways" and "The sun's oscillation is probably around a few tens of parsecs."

If you're worried about the Earth being in this "blue zone" on this diagram:

...then you should realize that Earth has ALWAYS been in that blue zone since it formed.

I notice that in many web pages there's a poor understanding of what the ecliptic is... as though there's some sort of gigantic invisible line painted across the Galaxy that says "Here there be HUMONGOUS gravitational forces!!!!" Gravity doesn't work like that, and there isn't any gigantic line of demarcation across the galaxy with "no huge tidal forces allowed on this side!" and "Honking big tidal forces on THIS side!" divisions.

[edit on 8-11-2004 by Byrd]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I notice the Mayans, Aztecs, Sodomites, Gomorrites and other cultures that have disappeared from this planet--TENDED TO BE EXPLOITATIVE, SLAVISH VIOLENT and/or CRUEL.

Okay... I'm being picky, but there was no "Sodomite" culture or "Gomorrhan" culture. And many of the cultures that have disappeared from this planet tended to be gentle and civilized with rules that we would do well to adopt nowadays.

I'm not sure what your original point was, there, but that caught my attention.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
Now we have another War on Terror from an unknown enemy that has the power to wipe out our entire world. Thanks Bush, this is all your fault.

Cardiff University, Holy Shi... Thats the University that I teach at!

[edit on 11/5/2004 by Simulacra]

and to think you're a teacher.... a statement like that and you're teaching our future leaders....

How is this President Bush's fault ????? you know what, don't even bother with an answer....

just go teach...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join