It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Map shows world's 'most racist' countries

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Has anyone here actually read the whole piece?

Some have pointed out problems in the survey data, claiming that because the polls span a long period of time they are an unreliable guide to current attitudes.

However, a more serious flaw could be the fact that in most Western countries racism is so taboo than many people will hide their intolerant views and lie to the questioners.

Max Fisher of the Washington Post suggested that maybe 'Americans are conditioned by their education and media to keep these sorts of racial preferences private, i.e. to lie about them on surveys, in a way that Indians might not be'.

I've been trying to access the website for the World Values Survey to find out how they conducted this research, but the site won't load.
It seems to me that it's likely this was not an anonymous survey, and when dealing with potentially culturally sensitive questions you will NEVER get an honest picture unless the survey is anonymous.

I would need to know how these people were asked these questions before I trust any of this data. Basically, it looks too remarkable to be true, and I have a strong feeling that's because this is more telling of social pressures and political correctness.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Gee, the U.S. isn't quite as bad as some would have us believe... No shocker if you've traveled the country at all...

Even the much maligned south isn't nearly the bigot hot bed some would have you believe.

Well that's if you believe that map is accurate.

A lot of people when asked uncomfortable questions will act PC, and pick not what is their true feelings, but what they think is the "correct" acceptable answer.

I think that map is probably more an indication of honesty on the subject than anything else, and it would be people of more developed nations that would not be so honest on the subject, simply because of our culture.

edit on 5/18/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Upon reading this,

The survey asked individuals what types of people they would refuse to live next to, and counted how many chose the option 'people of a different race' as a percentage for each country.

I think it's skewed against the developing world. Here in the west we don't really live with our neighbors, people keep to themselves more, in the west we have bars on our windows and we lock our doors (they don't even have locks in many developing countries). I try hard to get to know my neighbors but I still don't know all their names.

In the developing world being neighbors is different, it's more like roommates. In fact for many in developing countries their neighours would be closer together than the rooms on our big houses are. And, no way of keeping people out, so if they asked the westerners about a roommate instead of a neighbor it might help explain why the developing world scored so badly in this study.

edit on 18/5/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Wow! India is so high. Thought it would be lower because of the diverse culture.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by GLaDOS
Wow! India is so high. Thought it would be lower because of the diverse culture.

what diverse culture? the muslim indians, hindu indians, christian indians, sikh indians, buddist indians etc? Or the "formerly conquered by britain indians", "formerly conquered by portugal indians"? ... they're all indians man!

I like the part in this article that says "britain is the most tolerant yadda yadda"... no... Britain has been invaded. I had to go to england for a day in last november and I had a bit of a problem - its hard to find a brit.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Everyone is racist, In some countries it's not taboo to share your racism. Although, it's not always a bad thing. I've been in a few countries where the first thing that comes up is, "You're _______"

But out of that often breeds pretty solid friendships, because it's about both people showing they are not the perceived stereotype their race is known for.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
BS, anyone who has a xbox live account knows brits are the WORST.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

What do you expect from Xbox players? Says more about them than it does the English.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I would love too know where Israel is ranked, because as far as i can tell its the same colour as France and not even mentioned.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Hah!

British people most tolerant? BOLLOCKS.

The map lost me when it tried to push that crap.

Say the word "Muslim" around a British dude -- I dare you. You'll never hear the end of it.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Of course that map could be a tad inaccurate... Wouldn't surprise me in the least. While I can't speak for many countries, I can for the U.S., and western Canada.

While there are exceptions, and loud vocal ones they are, too; to the rule, most Americans I've encountered don't care what someone's race/religion/whatever are.

Rose colored glasses? Maybe. I don't read minds, so I can't know what someone is thinking, I have to go with what I see, or hear...

What I see? A level of tolerance unthinkable even when I was a kid. I see multi-racial, multi-cultural neighborhoods everywhere I've been in America.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Maybe our perceptions are a little different. I've ran across a lot of veiled racism in America from whites and blacks.

You don't integrate as much as you think you do. Any more, or less, than any other country these days.

America is gull of ghettos, and full of people who know the right words to say to be acceptable in our present cultural climate. Very few people are going to admit to not wanting a minority neighbor.

Just like most people would say, if asked, they wouldn't care if the president was black, until there actually was one, and then they turn on him looking for any excuse to discredit the guy. Does birth certificate ring a bell? No one even thought to question Bush's or Clinton's BC's, nobody even looked at them. But if the guys black then we need to look for anything we can find to get rid of the guy. I know it makes a lot of white people angry, because they are now forced to accept a black man in power, with more power than they have. They might not even realise it themselves, but if they would really look deep and question their own motives....Hmmm? Most people don't because it's scary territory, isn't it?

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Actually when I think about it, well, just go to Craigslist for Vancouver Canada rants and raves. I stopped a few years back because it was embarrassing to admit I live in the same city as some of the posters there

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

I'm somewhat surprised, but also pleased that South Africa came in the second lowest category.

The racial anxieties have decreased remarkably since the ANC got rid of Malema.
We've also seen both black and white racists taken to task by the Human Rights Commission, and the fairness has encouraged people to be part of the "rainbow nation" again.
Employment Equity and racial affirmative action quotas remain a problem however.

Of course, I doubt things are really that simple.

Race may not be that important anymore, but the connection between race and class is obscured.
Sure the upper white middle class wouldn't mind "black diamonds" (the new black elite) as their neighbors, but they certainly wouldn't like a squatter camp or low-cost housing in the neighborhood.

Xenophobia remains an issue with sporadic outbreaks, but that can also be seen as a race issue, since local blacks can spot foreign blacks by their features (it's fairly obvious).
A class of poor whites has also returned (since the 1930s, when over half the whites in SA were considered indigent), and it seems nobody wants them.

The results on India are also not surprising.
Allegedly the guests at the recent Gupta wedding only wanted to be served by white and Indian staff.
It may come as a shock to the West, which has long been taught by various cultural Marxists that only whites can be racists, that racism and in-group segregation is customary in other cultures.

edit on 19-5-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

You're correct. People do tend, for whatever reasons, tend to congregate like with like. Little Havana. Chinatown. Etc...

But equally correct are neighborhoods that were of one background, now no longer are... As an example in my hometown, where I still live, is the neighborhood I grew up in... It was lily white, with one Hispanic family... Now? I'd say it's split evenly three ways, white, hispanic, and black.

There are still problems with racism/bigotry in America... But I submit that it's much less than even in my childhood...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I found Britain to be an amazingly tolerant country. It was not always so I can remember my mother being terrified of me going down Oxford Street as a teenager because of the Sus laws. In fact in the fifties Britain was horrible but after Steven Lawrence's racist murder things improved...

Rgds
Tiger5

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
People do tend, for whatever reasons, tend to congregate like with like. Little Havana. Chinatown. Etc...

Exactly. People like being with what they know. Racism always breaks down once people get to know each other. Racism is born out of ignorance. I mean people used to be told it was unhealthy to have a sun tan. Well I guess they still do, in a way lol. But people actually thought dark skin was a sign of bad health. So white skin meant healthy, and it was a sign of status. Most working people worked outside, hard labour, and thus got sun tans. Rich people used makeup to whiten their faces, yes men did that lol. Being able to afford makeup was a sign of status. Thus the whole idea of the black man being inferior in every way was born.

All so capitalists could colonise Africa, and India, in order to profit from them, at their expense. No different from the demonising of Muslims today, so western oil barons can control the flow of oil in order to maximise their profits, and control the Middle East. Control it in order to keep it from becoming an economic competitor. Why are we so friendly with Suadi? They're stinking rich, that why. It's all about economics, not religions or terrorists. Terrorist are the inevitable result of military occupations. Remember we praised the French Resistance? Only difference was they were on our side.

But equally correct are neighborhoods that were of one background, now no longer are... As an example in my hometown, where I still live, is the neighborhood I grew up in... It was lily white, with one Hispanic family... Now? I'd say it's split evenly three ways, white, hispanic, and black.

This is not true for everywhere, but usually when that happens the white folk who move out are not replaced by white folk. So the neighbourhood becomes primarily immigrants. Unless you have a lot of working class whites, which is not the general norm in the US. Maybe in Michigan, and other highly industrial areas? Not too many of them left eh?

There are still problems with racism/bigotry in America... But I submit that it's much less than even in my childhood...

Yeah I would agree with that, but I still think it's mostly because it's not PC anymore to wear your racial bigotry on your sleeve.

Coming from the UK I was pretty shocked at the racism in this country. My eldest sister, who is married to a Jamaican, her kids are black, my nephews, didn't think twice about walking up to black people in Florida, when she vacationed here, but she said she was strangely met with suspicion that she couldn't understand. Until she learned the racial atmosphere of the United States. Even though a lot of Brits are racist, it's not so ingrained in the culture as it seems to be here, or at least in some areas. We never had segregation, we never needed Humans rights laws to stop institutionalized racism. The racism in Britain rises and falls depending on the economic climate. In America it seem to be all about power and competition.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I think what is very relevant here which has been pointed out already is that Indians, Hong Kong'ese and Bangladeshis will not lie about racism. India is more like the a United EU where all cultures have a common thread of Hinduism going through it but they all have slightly different to vastly different cultures. These states have been warring for a few thousand years in joined and disjointed state. People in India will not hide their contempt of black people or even muslims. Most black people in India come from Africa and create law and order problems with drugs, crime. Plus how media portrays the black people of America. Muslims ravaged India for a few hundred years before the british plus India has a huge Bangladeshi muslim immigration problems.

People from Hong Kong are usually wary of the mainlanders. Mainland people have been known to travel to Hong Kong to birth babies. They are wary of outsiders because they have a good thing going and think that too much immigration would dilute their position. I have been to the UK and France and the racism their is more in your face than the US but still I think people are a lot more politically correct in general than than eastern countries.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
London today was 'tolerant'........ !

Two Muslim idiots killed three people in the street yelling "Allah is great"

London is beginning to reap it's immigration policy.

It seems Stockholm is about to as well.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MadMax7

I'm sorry, but I really hope you're not coloring the many with the actions of the few? Not everyone is of a piece.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join