It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran - Religious Leaders Ban 30 Women from Running for Iran Presidency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Some current events information from Iran for those who like to keep up with what is going on in the world. Just a reminder to those who read the information .. yes you are still in the year 2013 AD ... although reading the info you may start to think it's really the year 1000 AD.

Iran - Religious Leaders Ban 30 Women from Running for Iran Presidency

Some 30 women are among the nearly 700 Iranians who registered to run in the election to succeed President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, but the Islamic republic’s ruling clerics wiped out their candidacies with one broad stroke.

Ayatollah Mohammad Yazdi, a member of the regime’s Guardian Council told the semiofficial Mehr news agency the participation of women in an election would go against the country’s constitution. He went on to say that not only does the law bar a female from the presidency, it prohibits a woman from appearing on the ballot.

For the record ... here is the Iranian Constitution ... English Version - Iran online

Article 115

The President must be elected from among religious and political personalities possessing the following qualifications: Iranian origin; Iranian nationality; administrative capacity and resourcefulness; a good past-record; trustworthiness and piety; convinced belief in the fundamental principles of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the official madhhab of the country.

I'm not seeing where it says that the president has to be a man.
I see the pronoun 'his' and 'he' used ... but not that it has to be a man.

The official Madhhab of Iran - Ja‘fari madhhab Al-Islam Answers
I'm looking and looking ... I don't see where it says that the president of Iran has to be a man.
Perhaps it's something 'inferred'?? I don't know.

Reading all this, no one can possibly say with a straight face that Iran is run by a secular government. Of course, Iran can run itself anyway it likes. But if anyone says it's a secular government and women have equal rights over there .... well .... :shk:

Perhaps it's a good thing that the women can't be president. Afterall, how would it look to the rest of the world to have a woman be president of Iran, only to have the 'morals police' come and beat her up every so often because she isn't acting 'muslim enough'?? That wouldn't exactly be good PR for the country, would it?

Flame away.

new topics

join