It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli Airforce To Target Russian s300 Systems Delivery

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

U.S. officials tell The Wall Street Journal: Another round of Israeli airstrikes could target a new Russian transfer of Yakhont advanced anti-ship missiles in the near future • Russia moving more quickly than previously thought to deliver S-300 surface-to-air defense systems to Syria • CIA Director John Brennan in Israel to coordinate policy.

www.israelhayom.com...

This is wild. I know the IAF targeted Iranian missiles enroute to Lebanon though Syria, but any attack on Russian equipment, during the delivery process, will certainly be considered an Act of War by Russia!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I am so sick of the drama-queen nation of Israel.
Does anyone ever hear about anything positive this country does?
Nope, I havent either.
Anytime theres an article about Israel, its always negative and it always involves them stirring up trouble that will eventually involve the US.
The mods need to install a little boy pissing on a star of david emoticon for threads like this.
edit on 17-5-2013 by Berzerked because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Something tells me....

It wouldn't do much for changing that frown to a smile. In fact.. I think it's safe to say, Putin wouldn't see any humor in such a thing ...at all.

He might even get downright nasty about the Russian Federation's reply to such a thing. That could get a bit rough...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Another related thread

regardless my take on this...

I Think this is actually very interesting Russia is playing with America and Israel, I bet American diplomats are the punch line of a lot of jokes right now in diplomatic circles.

America has screwed up big time with their foreign policy in Syria however so far Russia’s has been rather successful. So what does America do?

Obama sends John Kerry off to Moscow with his tail between his legs asking for Russian help, Putin then insults the American administration by making Kerry wait hours before he will see him, something that is quite unprecedented. So after that at the end of this meeting between the two Kerry emerges and announces to the word that Russia and America are working together as partners in to resolve the Syrian Civil war. This comment made me spit out my coffee their interests in Syria could hardly be more at odds, I was almost embarrassed for the American’s when I heard this, he is either a idiot or was just to embarrassed to admit that Putin told him to piss-off

And now just to kick em when they’re down, Russia sends off a few of these S-300 missiles to Assad, even after America, Israel (who sent Benjamin Netanyahu) and co beg Putin not to, just to add insult to America’s failure.

Putin must be sitting back right now with a big glass of Vodka laughing at how pathetic they were to all go begging to him because they can’t manages their own foreign affairs.

This is a interesting take on things form the BBC.

The Yakhont is a radar-guided, supersonic anti-shipping missile designed for coastal defence. Depending upon its trajectory it has a range of between 120 and 300 km (75-186 miles).

US reports stress the ability this gives to the Assad government to push hostile naval forces away from Syria's shores. But the real significance of these reports, if true, is twofold. Firstly they show Russia's continuing desire to ensure that there be no Western intervention in Syria along the lines of what happened in Libya. Russian naval deployments in the Mediterranean back up this view.

But equally the real concern about the Yakhont may be their potential transfer to Syria's Lebanese ally Hezbollah. Israel has made it clear that a transfer of the Yakhont represents a red line that could prompt more air strikes against Syrian arms depots.

BBC News

I dont think Israel are going to do anything about this at least untill the weapons are in Syria and blowing them up wont piss off the russians quite as much.

Even saying that however one should be mindful that Israel has no problems with seizing Arms and aid shipments if it suspects it will comprise its national security. For example we have the “Vitoria affair” in which Israeli special forces seized a German owned ship that was found to be transporting Iranian weapons to militants on the Gaza Strip, there was no war. Then of Course there was the incident in 2010 when they raided a Aid shipthat had no weapons on it. Even as recent as last year a Russian plane was seized by Turkey because they suspected there were weapons on board.

Now I don’t think that Israel is going to be so bold as to seize this shipment when it is on root, rather I think they are going to wait until it is in Syrian hands. That said however if they do feel that it is such a significant threat to their national security that they want take control of the shipment in transit I don’t think ti would lead to a war. It would cause a massive diplomatic spat but I don’t think we would be looking at a all-out war between Russia and Israel.

edit on 17-5-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This could get interesting, I would think that Israel will wait to attack these s300 missle sytem, until its in the hands of the syrian army. That way there is no Russian casulaties that are sent to deliver and set up this system. Must wait and see. Its just a big chess game, and pawns are getting used up quickly

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Israel wont have the balls to attack during the delivering process... They'll wait and then strike when they're in weaker hands like the cowards they are.

They wont do it because starting a war with russia would be suicide. And a rather quick one.

EDIT:

Obama sends John Kerry off to Moscow with his tail between his legs asking for Russian help, Putin then insults the American administration by making Kerry wait hours before he will see him

No. Actually there was a reason for that. Putin was waiting for the results of the lab. He wouldnt believe it so he sent samples for analysis and was waiting for the results and the results came back positive - Kerry has the backbone of a banana. After a glass of water with sugar and a valium, Putin was then ready to greet him without scratching his head in a compulsive manner while murmuring the same words over and over again "but how can he stand? how? how can he stand? all those years on the kgb... how can this man stand"
edit on 17-5-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
This is a setup. They are all in this together. They are all pushing, pushing, pushing.

They know exactly how this is going to play out.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I think it wont be too long before Russia & China blow Israel off the map, it will be good news for everyone on earth that flags will fly high everywhere on earth, we have let Israel get away with breaking world rule books for far too long, it's time Israel was sorted out.
edit on 17-5-2013 by Alternative4u because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
www.abovetopsecret.com...

someone beat you to it dude,

Not exactly.

That thread is about delivery in defiance of NATOs request. This thread is about destroying them enroute.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Yeah i can kind of see what you mean but the two threads are about the exact same thing but in different ways so i have changed my post to say its "releated".

I hope your thread stays oppen because its discussing a interesting perspective

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Well, in that thread i predicted this reaction by Israel.....
I reiterate, this is tantamount to a delayed declaration of war in the middle east...as the Israelis CANNOT allow such anti aircraft systems to get into any arab hands.
Though i am sure their are countermeasures for these missiles,I am also sure they could wreak havoc on somebodys aircraft before being destroyed, (perhaps by harm or cruise missiles...even airstrikes)
Theres not a chance the Israelis can let these slip by at this juncture....
maybe when the anti anti aircraft missile laser is perfected....
not before....
Figured id throw in the observation that the situation is like a slow motion juggernaught....
The ever increasing escalations are doing anything but calming things.
Rather the opposite is slowly ratchetting up to unbearable stress points that pretty well lead to some kind of war scenario.
The forces seem to be in play with such momentum, that war will erupt inevitably if everyone just maintains the hard line status quo....
With minor escalations the actual ww3 should be starting within a fairly short time span now....all by itself.
There are a few redline threats out there now....how many more would it take to trigger the end..
edit on 17-5-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
From the source:

Together, the S-300 anti-aircraft and anti-missile system, and the Yakhont anti-ship system, would pose a formidable threat to any outside intervention in Syria, based on the international Libya model. The anti-ship missiles would be a serious threat to the Israeli navy, as well as the facilities above Israel's newfound underwater gas reserves. The S-300 could threaten Israeli military and civilian aircraft flying Israeli airspace, and not just over Lebanese and Syrian airspace.

I read that and laughed. Israel is complaining because this will make it harder to attack another sovereign nation?
Guess they aren't comfortable with a level playing field.
edit on 17-5-2013 by intrepid because: Syntax.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
From the source:

Together, the S-300 anti-aircraft and anti-missile system, and the Yakhont anti-ship system, would pose a formidable threat to any outside intervention in Syria, based on the international Libya model. The anti-ship missiles would be a serious threat to the Israeli navy, as well as the facilities above Israel's newfound underwater gas reserves. The S-300 could threaten Israeli military and civilian aircraft flying Israeli airspace, and not just over Lebanese and Syrian airspace.

I read that and laughed. Israel is complaining because this will make it harder to attack another sovereign?
Guess they aren't comfortable with a level playing field.

Basically.

Especially since despite the israeli propaganda that they could jam or bypass the S300, that is nothing but that - propaganda... check for the MACE XIII nato joint exercise in slovakia in 2012 where the results were that if given a competent crew it would be near impossible to bypass the s300. Actually this exercise was done to test the israeli claim since nato was skeptical. One plane did excel tho, the french rafale spectra, something about "creating false returns and shadow objects in real time" - whatever that means. Thing is nato concluded that an incursion into syria with that system would mean heavy losses - words were "Sa-10 has great chances to inflict sever blows to nato's airforces."

This year in february the s300 was again tested with new upgrades and it seems to be immune. I guess if no one establishes a "no-fly" zone, the s300 will.

But ask zaphod... hes the big wing around here. I know a bit about ground systems but nothing about planes.
edit on 17-5-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
So how far is the Russian Fleet group from Cyprus, and how long would it take to end up on Israel's doorstep to attack from?

I suspect it's less than a weeks travel time.

Just another thing to look forwards to.

M.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet
So how far is the Russian Fleet group from Cyprus, and how long would it take to end up on Israel's doorstep to attack from?

M.

You think the IAF couldn't take out a Russian Naval fleet with their aircraft? Easily. Instantly.

If Russia didn't resort to Nuclear Weapons, they would be HARD PRESSED to land/fly upon Israeli shores. Even if Russia attempted to land troops via Syrian shores and helicopter to the border of Israel... They wouldnt make it.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
One plane did excel tho, the french rafale spectra, something about "creating false returns and shadow objects in real time" - whatever that means.

It's Electronic Countermeasure speak. ECM works by creating false returns on the radar screen, so they can't tell which are you and which aren't (keep in mind that is an insanely simplified explanation, and by that I mean INSANELY). Most jamming aircraft take a few seconds to be able to do that. They have to identify the frequency the radar is operating on, then sync up with it and then put the false targets up. Usually anywhere from 3-5 second lag time on a really good crew/jammer to... longer, depending on how advanced the system is.

The Rafale was able to do this fast enough that it was considered real time during the exercise. Which is difficult to do for a lot of the newer aircraft and damn near impossible for the older ones. It may have been the best in that exercise, but keep in mind that most countries won't allow their pilots to use their systems full up. They like to keep things in their pocket for real world situations, and don't even want their allies to get a sniff of them. (Which is why the USAF was so pissed during a training exercise with the F-22 when French Air Force fighters were flying around the edges with ELINT gear gathering all the signals they could.)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
The S300 is an anti-aircraft system. It is designed to shoot down invading planes. Since when has it become illegal for a country to possess the means to defend itself from an aggressive foreign power. Israel has launched unprovoked attacks on Syria on at least three occasions. This is what George H. W. Bush called naked aggression. Where is the outrage? Where is the international coalition like the one formed for the Gulf War which Syria was a part of? When is the United States going to send stealth fighters to bomb targets in Israel to prevent them from threatening their neighbors?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
How dare Syria buy and set up air defence missiles!
Israel should have the right to fly around and bomb / launch missiles at whoever they want, whenever they want.

But I think we all know by now just how cowardly the chosenites are, preferring to strike people who are not in a position to strike back, and so will cry foul when someone does. After all, they are the victims here (as always) and someone defending themselves is obviously an "existential" threat to Israel.

The trouble is, I can see this escalating and Israel is just crazy enough to launch a nuke or two into Syria if it gets a bloody nose while acting aggressively, all the while screaming that they are the victim and just defending themselves.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Originally posted by Moshpet

M.

You think the IAF couldn't take out a Russian Naval fleet with their aircraft? Easily. Instantly.

If Russia didn't resort to Nuclear Weapons, they would be HARD PRESSED to land/fly upon Israeli shores. Even if Russia attempted to land troops via Syrian shores and helicopter to the border of Israel... They wouldnt make it.

Those aircraft can only take off in the first place if their runways haven't already been cratered by cruise missiles! No runway, no planes!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
This is just a quick graphic I made to look at approximate range of the S-300 PMU/2 for that area. It's listed at 195 Kilometers and that's on an older model. They're truck based and meant to deploy in minutes from a rolling condition, so mobile is an understatement. From one of the more southern spots though?

I might see Israel's point. It's a real small neighborhood for having such a world power scale air defense system. Then again, I wonder what distance and coverage is for Israel's? Can they pick off Syrian fighters from Syrian runways the way an S-300 system in Southern Syria can into Israel? I'm not sure, and I wonder if someone has a general idea on that? It's no small development to add in any real number though....if they aren't already there of course. The talk of deliveries goes back to 2005 and beyond.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join