It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake: 17/05/2013 9:50 DST

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

That is quite incredible. Even felt in New York City.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit

That is quite incredible. Even felt in New York City.

I thought it was, thanks for the embed.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It was even felt as far away as Missouri and I know Ottawa, Montreal and probably other points east should be on the list as well.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I wonder if the sun's increased activity has anything to do with it.
I know we are going to hit the peak of the solar cycle in a few months.

It seems to me that every ten or so years, right around the peak of the solar cycle we see some growth in earthquakes.

I wonder if this region is going to become more active with time.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Earth is supposed to get hit by a CME today, mostly a glancing blow.
Today the sun let another CME go and this one is pointed strait towards earth.
Be on the lookout for increased EQ activity on the 19th.

Just my Theory.

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
I wonder if the sun's increased activity has anything to do with it.
I know we are going to hit the peak of the solar cycle in a few months.

It seems to me that every ten or so years, right around the peak of the solar cycle we see some growth in earthquakes.

I wonder if this region is going to become more active with time.

Very interesting point. There are these "earthquake watch" sites like the barcaroller YouTube channel that relate earthquakes to activity on the Sun, particularly coronal hole formation and ejecta from the Sun.

They have these strange theories as to why this correlation exists, but I think it might be as simple as that the mass of the ejecta launched into the solar wind and directed at us, has a simple, perhaps substantial gravitational effect.

A solar flare might well have incredible mass, if it were measured that way, like a very large meteor. I'm just supposing here, without really having looked into it.
edit on 17-5-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

I was thinking of the high energy particles that the sun expels, and what substances could lie within earth that interact with the particles.

I think the particles interact not only with our magnetosphere, but with the Terra physically.
Maybe the iron and magnetite in the ground plus the particle interaction makes the ground attract or repel from its self.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

True. The interaction is probably manifold.

We take a lot for granted on our little rock in the universe. It is scary to think just how precarious our existence is.

Uploaded to YouTube by SolarWatcher:

Published on May 14, 2013

Another X-Class Solar Flare !
The X-Flare party continues as Active Region 11748 unleashed its 4th X-flare inside of 48 hours. At 01:47 UTC this morning peaking to X1.2 was reported from this active region which continues to grow in size. Associated with this blast was a Type II, Type IV Sweep Frequency Events and a 10cm Radio Burst (Ten Flare) measuring 490 Solar Flux Units. We will now need to wait to see if the resulting Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) has an earth bound component in the coming hours.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Most people don't want to think about the complexity of our existence.

We have water oxygen and temperate conditions in our backyard.

But from our earthly perspective, everything else is dead, like mars for instance.

What are the odds that our little rock should be habitable hospitable and life giving.....id say not great at all.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Nice video, i love watching the magnetic prominence build then burst and spew those high energy particles out.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I just woke up at about 9:40 in the morning and I was drinking some water while sitting on my sofa. I was up very late last night so I was still clearing out the cobwebs.All of a sudden the sofa started to shake and vibrate, and my heart started racing.It certainly woke me up quite quickly.I just recently moved back from Mexico after living there for almost two years. There I experienced a 7.4, plus numerous 6's ,5's and 4's. Even though the quake I felt today was minor , it got me feeling like I was back in Mexico.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I'm in Hamilton, just 45 minutes SW from Toronto. It woke me out of a sound sleep! I thought it was my cats clawing my bed.

On a possibly related note, I have a wall decoration that was shaking the day before for a few hours. Very slightly but enough to hear it hitting my wall for the first time since I've lived here. Not sure if there was a precursor event or not, but I can't seem to find it. I remember thinking it was a mini quake, but couldn't find anything online. Then boom, today we get one.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Same here felt as well. I had a bad feeling all week last week. I thought it was something else i didn't realize it was an earthquake.
edit on 17-5-2013 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The location makes me think of The Redneck's "Cracking an Egg Shell" theory.
I'll post a link to the thread when I'm not on my phone.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 5/17/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

This happened a few years back in 2010 east of Ottawa. At the time back then we actually felt the earthquake and it rattled our windows, cupboards and doors in our house 300 miles from the epicentre. I checked with friends near the Northland Power project in Marmora where they plan to put a billion gallons of water on a tailings pile 100 feet in the air, and they said it looks like the tailings pile shed rocks (landslided a bit) again like in the last quake. Apparently this was a pretty solid quake and was felt all the way to Cleveland.

Cheers - Dave

PS. On that Northland Power Pumped Storage project in Marmora and earthquakes, the tailings piles apparently sit on the southeast corner of the town. So if a rupture occurred of their "impenetrable asphalt lining" (their words not mine) on the northeast corner of the tailings pile which looks like the weakest point, the town would be flooded by a billion gallons of water. Not a pretty situation since there are allegedly 4000 people in the area and a damn that holds back an additional 6 billion gallons in Crowe Lake. The path of the water would travel down the Crowe River to the Trent Canal, next stop Campbellford, Frankford and Trenton. I can imagine what a total of 7 billion gallons of water would do all because of an earthquake, bad engineering and even worse planning all for greed. You can look up the Taum Sauk reservoir breach to see what a breach looks like, just put a town in the middle of the water path.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
California had a medium sized one earlier ....
Guess the massive sun spot activity today is
really kicking things off?

that's one theory about earthquakes ...

I think your theory is a very good one. All the solar flares happening from the sun...from what I have read do effect the weather, earthquakes etc. on earth. I am thinking too the tornado that recently happened in Texas may also be a result of the (sun spot - solar flare) activity.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

A place to start.

Definitely seems to be a connection.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Whenever I start chopping wood we seem to get more earthquakes. Chopped some last night and was chopping right about the time of this quake. As long as I don't start beating on rocks we won't have a big one, That has happened a couple of times
Actually, I have to knock a big cracked rock apart to see what is inside of it, it looks like a huge chunk of fossilized bone which is common around here, The glacier dragged those old dinosaur bones all over and crushed them into rocks.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I live in the west end of Toronto (Parkdale) and was sleeping this morning when the earthquake happened. I woke up experiencing a 'swaying' feeling as if someone was standing beside my bed rocking it. I woke up and thought it may have just been a dream so I laid back down and thought nothing of it. Then the swaying started again. I sat up and just took it in. For a quake that hit so far away and was only labelled a 4.8 it sure shook my apartment.

I don't remember shaking that much years ago when I was in Vegas when they experienced a 5.6 not too far away.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I am in upstate NY near Rochester and many people felt the earthquake today. It was very similar to the earthquake that struck in 2010 not too far from the same location. The one in 2010 was stronger though if I recall.

I wonder if the sun was active at that time as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join