It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Americans In Jail Than In Stalin's Gulag Archipelago

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

What like going to prison for having some Cannabis? What a joke. The only reason why the United States has the highest incarnation rate in the world is because of the war on drugs. It makes up 50% of all crime in the states.

Most people would agree that prohibition didn't work for alcohol, it created crime, just like the prohibition of cannabis and other drugs fuels the Mexican cartels. It's the exact same thing.

But wait! Let's not help drug users who are sick and send them to rehab, lets send them to a Private Prison who profits off more prisoners they get! Great idea!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
When society decided stupid # like this warranted law enforcement involvement we pretty much guaranteed America would become a prison nation:

A Dartmouth College student has been arrested after police say he tried to obtain nitrous oxide gas.
The 22-year-old senior was charged with attempt to commit inhaling toxic vapors of effect.

Read more: www.wmur.com... e6w

We can blame the prisons who profit, the moron cops who enforce garbage laws, the politicians who write garbage laws, the media who make every personal choice out to be the death knell of society and the neanderthal public who support garbage laws.

Every link in this chain of stupidity is at fault save one. The individual who harmed no one and nothing to do a thing that by all rights no one with any sense would have ever imagined was "against the law."

For the most part society has done away with sodomy laws for the same reasons that should have gotten thousands of other laws erased as well but for whatever reasons hasnt yet.

Good God, misdemeanor Redi-Whip. It's really too bad that Ed Steele's
in jail right now. Strawberry Shortcake with Intent to Deliver. Unbelievable.

Thanks, and a star for your own find, however. This fits exactly into your
Common Law definition of injury. It was not intent toward another, and he
was probably going to destroy a few thousand of his brain cells AT HOME,
right? So please explain to me the difference between Nitrous Oxide and
Ripple? Well, beside the fact you'll probably blow away 20x with the hooch...

ThisGuy, I'm beginning to believe the Zombie Apo has been happening slo-mo.
Keep your powder dry my friend... and a spare bullet mold in the pack.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

alot of those people(not all) get put there by corrupt politicians, corrupt judges and officials, corrupt police officers, and a plant, but im glad are tax dollars are paying for corruption, greed, and a plant that has way more benefits than negative effects.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
And the most interesting thing is......

The Americans deserve to be there.... the Russians didn't.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

But I do, in part, blame for profit prisons. They make money when people are incarcerated. The more people, the more money, so it stands to reason in an economy based on greed, for-profit-prisons are going to lobby for more laws and harsher penalties that lead to incarceration for greater profit. And with a govt. full of corrupt representatives, they'll get it.

Don't be naively stupid and think that, "people know the consequences and just break the law anyway, and they should pay the price." It has about as much depth as a teaspoon and is worth paying attention to about as much.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Taking a look at the statistics here -

felonvoting.procon.org...

It would seem drug incarceration has gone down as percentage of total incarcerations, and public order has gone way up.

This includes weapons, drunk driving, court offenses, commercialized vice, morals and decency offenses, liquor law violations, and other public-order offences.

Violent crime is still the leader by far.

Regarding the OP, no matter how you slice it, a society with this many people in prison clearly has some serious issues. Something is broken somewhere.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I think Hope's simple point is;

Who decides what laws are "allowed" to broken? The psychopath? The rapist? Etc.

Whereas I do not agree with a lot of societies laws, they are however; the laws of the nation I live in.

It simply cannot be left to discretion of the individual. Chaos would run amok.

Should laws be changed? Yes. But until they are changed, in a "law abiding process", they are the law, and should be adhered to.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I blame the general public. We don't believe in forgiveness. If someone commits a crime, we automatically want to send them to jail. We don't consider if it will improve their behavior. We just automatically think it's the right thing to do.

Read any comment segment to a crime news story and people just rabidly express how they want the criminal to suffer/die/be raped/etc. All reasoning goes out the window.
edit on 18-5-2013 by lampsalot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

You have a ridiculously ignorant and rigid view of law and society.

I think its an issue of morality and character to refuse to follow laws that are abhorrent and actually cause more problems for society then the actual "crime" itself. If you spend a few weeks in one of our fine jails and see what goes on inside of these cesspools of criminal activity and how this place warps and shapes the mind of the individuals inside you might actually have to take a realistic look at whats happening. Not this, "i do what im told cause im suppose to" mentality thats completely nonsense.
edit on 18-5-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

I think its an issue of morality and character to refuse to follow laws that are abhorrent and actually cause more problems for society then the actual "crime" itself. If you spend a few weeks in one of our fine jails and see what goes on inside of these cesspools of criminal activity and how this place warps and shapes the mind of the individuals inside you might actually have to take a realistic look at whats happening. Not this, "i do what im told cause im suppose to" mentality thats completely nonsense.

In my opinion, unless you intend on keeping them in there for life, it's better to let a criminal free than to put them in jail. I think the fear of reprisal and the hatred from society is punishment enough if someone has committed a murder or something like that. And hopefully the guilt they would feel as well. If they are a serial killer or something and likely to reoffend they should put be in a mental institution for the criminally insane.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot

We wouldnt have as many violent criminals if we werent supporting their enterprise with the laws we impose through prohibition. We would effectively kill their "market" and by way of proxy eliminate the culture of gangs and mafioso organizations that are a result of the laws we create, creating the violence in the first place.

I dont care how many people lose their jobs either thats besides the point. It doesnt matter. That doesnt justify the means.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

We wouldnt have as many violent criminals if we werent supporting their enterprise with the laws we impose through prohibition. We would effectively kill their "market" and by way of proxy eliminate the culture of gangs and mafioso organizations that are a result of the laws we create, creating the violence in the first place.

I dont care how many people lose their jobs either thats besides the point. It doesnt matter. That doesnt justify the means.

Punishment is a sadistic rite. And I agree with you that drug prohibition does nothing but give the cartels a monopoly on their trade.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Punishment is a sadistic rite.

I agree, its an archaic form of punishment. Its more enlightening to take people through an ayahuasca ritual and make them experience themselves from a harder, more evolved perspective. How do we get to that point? I'm not sure. But i agree with you 100%.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Well unlike Stalin's Russia, our people know what sends them to prison and yet they still do it.

Perhaps you shouldn't blame the prison system.

Seriously?
You think places in the world with harsher judicial systems, and people don't "know" what lands them in jail, in the other countries they must just all know so that's why they aint there?

Other countries don't enforce their laws.

Look how many agencies the USA has...

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Seriously?
You think places in the world with harsher judicial systems, and people don't "know" what lands them in jail, in the other countries they must just all know so that's why they aint there?

Other countries don't enforce their laws.

Look how many agencies the USA has...

I honestly don't know what's a crime and what's not sometimes. The police will pull you over for the strangest things. In many neighborhoods it's a crime to pee on a tree in a secluded corner or to sip a brewski outside your own home by the street.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Well, excuse my ignorance; But by whose moral compass does one follow? Does a criminal follow "your" laws, and they are the ones allowed to be broken? Or his laws? How does one define an acceptable law?

This is the problem that I see, with recklessly saying "Oh it's okay, that shouldn't be a law anyway". Where does the line stop?

It would be all good and fine, if we all had the same sense of conscience, morality, etc.. but we do not.

Hence my stand of; If it's the Law, it should be adhered, regardless of MY personal opinion. Of course, I don't agree with "a lot" of Laws, and I believe the Laws need to be changed. Disregarding them though, I can't possibly see as a solution.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terminal1

Well unlike Stalin's Russia, our people know what sends them to prison and yet they still do it.

Perhaps you shouldn't blame the prison system.

So what are you saying? That there is more stupid criminals in the US than anywhere else in the world? That profit driven prisons are a good thing in the US?

It is a bit disturbing to me. Not sure what I think about it. It just seems that the US is jail crazy if there is a motive to jail people for even the smallest of offenses. Not condoning crime but I tend to get a little miffed at the idea when the sentences far outweigh the crime committed. Especially so when someone gets kickbacks for it.

Apparently crime does pay for some people...

What I'm saying is that people in the US know what will send them to prison yet they still commit those acts. In Russia you could have been sent to a gulag just for what family you belonged to.

Big difference.

I know I will never go to prison because I don't break the laws that would send me there. You may not agree with all the laws but regardless, you know what they are.

It's crap like this that makes me want to smack people upside the head. There are Women going to prison...for protecting Toddlers from being raped and abused, FACT. All over this nation, via Court ordered abuse by PEDO sick judges,

And you are fine with THAT level of Evil????

Disgusting.

It's Thinking like this, that has given Corruption it's power to twist every decent law there is and use that twisted perversion to Jail people that are doing what's Morally RIGHT. It's the equivalent of worshiping devils. I'm sorry but NO, there Has to be a LIMIT to what LAWS are Obeyed. When LAWS themselves are EVIL, then that WILL ALWAYS lead up to people being jailed just for who they are RELATED TO, like in North Korea. Where do you draw the line? When it effects YOU? By then it's too late.
edit on 18-5-2013 by ThreeBears because: Addition

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrikeyMate

Well, excuse my ignorance; But by whose moral compass does one follow? Does a criminal follow "your" laws, and they are the ones allowed to be broken? Or his laws? How does one define an acceptable law?

This is the problem that I see, with recklessly saying "Oh it's okay, that shouldn't be a law anyway". Where does the line stop?

It would be all good and fine, if we all had the same sense of conscience, morality, etc.. but we do not.

Hence my stand of; If it's the Law, it should be adhered, regardless of MY personal opinion. Of course, I don't agree with "a lot" of Laws, and I believe the Laws need to be changed. Disregarding them though, I can't possibly see as a solution.

Then Don't Disregard them, and by golly we can have MORE KIDS MURDERED and YOU can be PROUD for YOUR Contribution to their MURDERS

COMPLICIT.

Might as well rape and murder them yourself. THIS is what this nation is turning into

A bunch of Cowards with No human decency,

And if That be the case, then Maybe this country DESERVES the Military FEMA camps and the rest of what's coming...

Yea this may not be forum manners but I deal every day seeing photos of little Kids horribly abused, beaten, raped, tortured, and by Court order because of WEAK COWARDLY people who

OBEY EVIL LAWS and give more POWER with their ENABLING of an EVIL SYSTEM.

KIDS, not adults, little KIDS

So NO, I don't have any tolerance or understanding of this crap, and sad thing is, no one should have to SAY what's WRONG with it. That in of itself speaks volumes...no Wonder this nation has gone to Bloody Hell. Don't blame the Government,

Oh no, Blame the Cowards who Gave the Government LICENSE.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

You can always find examples like this but 99% of the people in prison are there for actual crimes.

The case you pointed out is not the norm.

What's an actual crime?

According to this: Prison populations by crime looks like nearly half of those locked up havent harmed anyone.

I believe most are in there for drugs.

Yes it doesn't harm anyone but the laws are fairly clear. I will never be arrested for drugs because I don't associate with them.

If you want to play the game in that arena then you know the consequences.

Because no innocent person has even been falsely arrested or convicted. And everyone in jail/prison is truly guilty of their charges/convictions.

And because the cops have never planted drugs on a person otherwise not associated with or possessing them.

Must be nice to live in fairytale land.

Without repeating truths about crime and people in jail, thisguyrightthere is spot on in things he said, as well.
edit on 18-5-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join