It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor Man's Guide to Entertainment I

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
What better investment for your money than buying an old video game console with some games? You could spend $40.00 for an Xbox and $10.00-$25.00 on a game and get hundreds of hours of game play - while 50 movies at $10.00 each would be $500.00!

So with only one game, you are saving over $400.00 on going out. Some examples of decent E-Bay sales going on right now:

E-bay: Buy it Now! Xbox Includes all wires, 2 controllers and the console. $30

Ebay: Buy it Now! Morrowind Game of the Year Edition $25. A bit spendy. But just an example.

You could also spend $10.00 and get the game for you PC and skip the Xbox - E -Bay: Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition, PC

This is only $10.00 and is also the Game of the Year edition, so it comes with all of the expansions.

Morrowind, following the tradition established by its predecessors in The Elder Scrolls series,[22] attempts to establish a completely free-form world, with little constricting boundaries on the player's actions. From the beginning of the game, players are put in a world where they are left to roam, steal, quest and explore, without necessarily following the main quest.[23] Lead Designer Ken Rolston, asked prior to Morrowind's release what he thought were the "core, untouchable design elements" of the Elder Scrolls series which "set them apart from other games", responded immediately: "Free-form experience."[24]

The Game of the Year Edition comes with all of the expansions. There is a large world to explore, and you can up your character's skills in things such as different types of magic, different types of weapons, alchemy, lockpicking, etc.

Wikipedia: Morrowind

Anyone who wants to post on this thread additional information about Morrowind, feel free.

edit on 17-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
op, s&f I couldn't agree more with you,, I bought a ps3 on there last year for under 200.00. could have went cheaper, but got a really great deal.

it is cheap entertainment, but the ladies usually aren't too competitive, and the stoylines usually do not entice the ladies. as guys,, if we can blow something up, or shoot it, we are good to go..

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Even better than Morrowind for $10. You can get Daggerfall for the PC for free! from Bethesdas site here
You will need a DOS emulator though.
Daggerfall is old, but it's gigantic

In Daggerfall, there are 750,000+ non-player characters (NPCs) for the player to interact with, compared to the count of around 1,000 NPCs found in Morrowind and Oblivion. However, the geography and the characters in these later games are much more detailed.

If a little basic

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thunder2u
op, s&f I couldn't agree more with you,, I bought a ps3 on there last year for under 200.00. could have went cheaper, but got a really great deal.

it is cheap entertainment, but the ladies usually aren't too competitive, and the stoylines usually do not entice the ladies. as guys,, if we can blow something up, or shoot it, we are good to go..

As a former female competitive gamer, I blow a raspberry at you.
Females actually do like shoot 'em and blow 'em ups. Have a good number of gaming female friends who do just that.

To add to the Poor man's list:

Free to Play

MMORPGs:

Champions Online
World of Warcrack
Planetside 2

Battle Arenas:
League of Legends
Defense of the Ancients 2 (aka DOTA 2)

Shooters:
Team Fortress 2
Warframe

Cheap Games

"Big Name" Shooters on sale on Steam:
Borderlands (coop) ($7.49)
Borderlands 2 (coop) (currently $13.59)
Counter Strike: Global Offensive ($7.49)

Lots of great indie/small gamehouse games though with varying degrees of playtime with a couple for gamers with "non competitive" ladies;

God Mode ($9.99)--Coop. Got a terrible and probably undeserved metacritic score. As a former comp fps player, I got about 30 hours of playtime from the game and found it to be chaotic fun. Average players find it a whole lot more challenging or, as one of my son's friends put it--"my dad keeps trying to play it and keeps dying but he sucks..."

Dungeon Defenders ($14.99)--Coop. Could be fun for those who have more gentle hearted ladies. Strategic coop type of game, cartoon design but not too kid like. Cute game overall with lots of playability. Whole family could play it really.

Orcs Must Die 2 ($14.99): Same genre type as Dungeon Defenders. Cartoon like graphics but a little more "grown up". 2 player coop with one male/one female character so good for couples. |

Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army ($14.99)--Coop. Set in WWII with Nazi zombies that you snipe--how can one not like that? Tougher shooter.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Or if you got a pc get morrowind for like 10 bucks or some such off steam

THEN

get this mod for it and then it plays like a brand new game.... well looks like one.

www.ornitocopter.net...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
A really entertaining social game to play with others is called Draw My Thing over at omgpop.com.

Much like the mobile version of this game, if you want to unlock extra drawing tools and colors, they need to be purchased with real money.

A little known secret is to log on to this site instead.

hambycomb.com

You will instantly have a few more drawing features that can be used and are completely free.

Here are the extra features:

Up and Down arrow keys are for brush sizes (bigger/smaller)
Left and Right arrow keys are for color shading (lighter/darker)
Keys 1 to 8 are for a quick color choice.
The ` key, just below the Esc key, top left on your keyboard, brings up a color grid to choose from.

The following are a few drawings that I did in under 60 seconds during my turn, and yes, I'm a little weird.

I have almost 600 friends on that site, so if anyone is interested in giving this a try, hit me back and I'll introduce you to some great people with incredible talent and humor.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

So glad you posted this.

Husband and I play WoW, costs $15 per month for each of our accounts so $30 in total.

People laugh.

I say, Hey, you spend $50 going to a movie and getting snacks on a Friday night, four times a month. You spend $50 on one dinner a week, going to a nice restaurant.

Who's wasting money?

Games are so much cheap entertainment if you just agree with your spouse.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Yeah totally! I am hoping to get in a relationship soon where I can have this type of interaction. I think it has the potential to bring us closer, too :-)

In the past, I bonded with my guy friends over gaming, it was always a social activity for us because it was before online gaming - so we would have LAN parties, board games, and 4-player split screen. Such a golden age!

Good point - compatibility with this lifestyle is an issue, but it is enjoyable and affordable for those willing to see it that way.
edit on 18-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join