It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oblivion. The Elder Scrolls IV

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by billy565

Thank you Kind Sir

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by billy565
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

Wow. I guess I'll have to try Morrowind, I've never played it, only Oblivion.

If you play it never never stop jumping... wanna train it faster find a steep hill and keep jumping... by the end of that game I could jump across the whole map from one end to the other, usually freezing the game if I didn't time the float just right. Comes in handy for the final boss fight, there's a ledge really far down from the main battle area... you drop down there jump up and swing your blade of choice like a bastard on the way up and on the way down, that dude drops pretty quick and never hits you once, if you're a lower level that can't go toe to toe.

But that's why this series is my favorite you build the skill by actually doing it in real time, you can accomplish anything you want to with some thought and problem solving and finish without ever mindlessly grinding... unless you want to. I suppose constantly pressing jump sounds like grinding but hoping around like an idiot everywhere is kind of entertaining, if you do the same thing with sneak npc's usually have enough funny comments to make it not seem as a tedious mind numbing repetition.

The trust karma system is also superb... they really knew what they were doing and where they were going when they planned this series from game one up.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
This is a bad time to invest in a 360... just wait 4 months and get next gen ps4 or Xbox next whatever...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by billy565

I loved Morrowind and oblivion on the PC,and played for hundreds of hours.
Then I played skyrim on ps3,maxed out most skill sets before attempting the main storyline(approx 150hrs)-Then my damned PS3 got the damned orange light of death.
And PS being turds when it comes to save games and the transfer of them,I would have to start the whole game from the beginning...I lost heart and haven't touched it since.
Maybe one day when I have a better PC...

BTW,I think there is a complete remake of Morrowind,with super upscaled graphics-my bro showed me it a while back.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
That game was amazing. But skyrim is wayyyyyyy better. Which is saying alot considering how good oblivion is. I was reading an article about the elder scrolls online, and from the review, its as close to a single player rpg like Skyrim, that a online RPG can be.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I play this one

LOVE

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I agree Skyrim is better.

Quit playing 'expired' games...lol

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Morrowind was probably the best overall in the series.

It's not that Oblivion and Skyrim aren't good games it's just that they feel unbearable without mods. Poor poor console players.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I have to say, as someone who has racked up over nearly 300 hours in Skyrim, I couldn't get through more than a few hours in Oblivion. Then again, I have never really been a huge fan or sword 'n' sorcery fantasy stuff.

It was only after clocking up almost a thousand hours In Fallout 3 & Fallout: New Vegas that I figured out how to understand Bethesda's vibe, and knowing that Skyrim would be in a similar vein, gave it a try and loved it.

Then I decided to dust off Oblivion and go back to that. Failed miserably. Where the other three games were approachable, Oblivion was just too fiddly (and I really, REALLY hate that nonsense "olde worlde" type of font in games) for me. I think I had become too familiar with the more streamlined and logical UI and control schemes, and levelling/stat development in the other games. Oh well.

Have to say though, if you haven't tried Fallout 3 or New Vegas, you really should. There's hundreds more hours of playtime there for you, they are now rock bottom cheap, and if you don't like shooty games, just remember: I hate swordy fantasy nonsense the same way, but loved Skyrim. It's all about the story and crafted experience, which Bethesda does *so well*.

Also, Dogmeat.Oh man, I miss my puppy. Must go back in and see how he is doing...
edit on 17/5/2013 by dogsounds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Welcome to Tamriel!

I played Morrowind, Oblivion, and I'm actually playing Skyrim right now. Started it about a year ago. I won't be playing the Elder Scrolls Online because I do enjoy maintaining some semblance of a normal life. People with addictive personalities should not play MMORPG's. My first and last one of those was EQ and there will never be another.

Morrowind was too hard for me so I didn't get very far. Oblivion was fantastic. There are some things from that game that I wish were in Skyrim and vice versa.

P.S. For those playing Skyrim: down with the stormcloaks! Empire 4 Life!

edit on 5/17/13 by Malynn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Speaking of oblivion, I saw a mud crab the other day...:lol

I was into my third play through when Skyrim came out, but I still tinker around with the oblivion construction set, making NPCs' , houses, etc. It drains the hours as much as playing the game itself.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I honestly don't know how in the hell anyone managed to play through Morrowind with the damn game breaking glitches. I am a packrat and a horder and that game with it's constant "don't move any item unless you have to or you'll crash the game" and "clean up every dead body or you'll crash the game"... it had some great, ambitious goals and when it wasn't crashed the game had a lot of fun to it, but it is a fatally broken game, IMO.

Oblivion I still play on the laptop here and there. I play almost exclusively with mods rather than the base game these days.

Oblivion on the 360 is hard to go back to after playing Skyrim, though. The graphics are plain ugly in comparison, which is pretty surprising considering how beautiful Oblivion looked when it came out. Bethesda really should have bit the bullet and given us all an ability to play Oblivion with Skyrim graphics improvements.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
To those of you considering getting oblivion, get the PC version.
Vanilla Oblivion is a craptastic game, but can be made spectacular with the right mods.
Skyrim is better, but still too dumbed down.

Morrowind is the best game of the series, followed by Daggerfall imo.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by killuminati2012

There is a mod for Morrowind that updates the graphics to today's standards.

The mod can be gotten from here:

MGSO 3.0

I loved all of the games,
Daggerfall (which is now a free download)
Morrowind
Oblivion
Skyrim

All were great games!
edit on 28-5-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I can vouch for that mod, IT KICKS ASS!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Hello, glad the elder scrolls is enjoyed by so many! I have over 650 hours clocked into skyrim, and i can tell you right now, it is in no way shape, or form better than oblivion man, this is from a hardcore gamers perspective.

They catered to casuals and action junkies, and took out the following : spell making, stats, restricted enchantments (at max 2 per item, compared to the like 8 or 9 i would put in oblivion), acrobatics (your stuck jumping a VERY mediocre height, and die if you fall about 13 feet or so, very easy to die), spells (the spells they do give you are pretty crappy dude, not even gonna lie), spells that IMPORVE your stats, like increasing acrobatics 100 points, arrows have a limit on how far they can go till they "dissapear" after that, so no decent sniping (unless you fix it in the .ini files), auto kills (and they do it a BUNCH, unless you turn it off with a mod), quest (theres no where as many guild quest, you can complete most guilds in a few hours time, plus the guilds in general kinda blow, dark brotherhood is a bit of a letdown man......), they put these "infinite" quest in the game, but they end up being fetch quest- and you even end up doing the same ones over and over.

Alchemy's been dumbed down as well you have to go to a TABLE to make potions instead of carrying amblecs ect., no birthsigns, lame race powers, no classes (every class/race ends up being the exact same by the end i.e. master of everything (and you level skills and such MUCH MUCH faster)) which isin't BAD, but takes the diversity out of which race you should choose. and so many more things man....

basically, they dumbed down the "rpg" elements to the point that its seriously not even funny. anytime people compare oblivion and skyrim, all they can say is "but the graphics!!........", i think alot played the 360 version, and not the ps3 or pc version of oblivion, because when i played the ps3 one a few months ago, the graphics were STILL pretty darn good (and im SPOILED on pc graphics), so yes while its a good game, it just "wasn't up to par" as an elder scrolls man.

you can even become GODLY, but not a true GOD like in oblivion (300 acrobatics, 250 speed, 300 athletics, 100+ restoration), restoration in the previous game made you able to "enhance " your stats like above, with just pure magic and 100 restoration. ALL restoration does in skyrim is heal you.....

you can even "power level " in skyrim, to the point you can break the game in a few hours if you truly want, but you don't get the same level of satisfaction "powerleveling", as you do in oblivion, because the no spell making makes it all for naught, you dont have the option to make spells (that took a large part of my game up, making wacky spells I.E. +100 speed on touch combined with +100 % shield on touch, cast on a horse, and you have a jet that goes like 700 miles per hour)

OR like for example, i made a spell to improve speed of what i touched 100 pts, then went into a cave and lured all the enemies to me, then used a shield spell to shield me 100% (u still get damaged, not too much tho), then used the speed spell on THEM so they could hit me way faster to get my armor up fast. they were hitting me so fast they would accidentally hit and kill each other, so i made a spell to shield them, and a spell to heal them, doin this, i got my armor from 50 to 100 in about 40 mins lol.

those are just examples of what you can do in oblivion that you can't in skyrim, and i've only played vanilla oblivion, because you never run out of stuff to do if you have a thinking ,witty mind, to make cool enchantments, spells (paralyse within 50 feet 15 seconds on touch), and your own fun. so please do play skyrim, it's fun by all means, just insanely dumbed down dude, to the point its kinda not a real "rpg" like say morrowind and oblivion.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I really enjoyed Oblivion, I was a BattleMage on it. I have to tell you that one of my favorite things to do was raid the towers in the real of oblivion, now that was cool, also raid the hell out of caves, looting them for all its worth.
But! skyrim came out and I totally destroyed that game, with 800+ hours logged onto it, I have max my character out to the absolute limit, I stand and laugh as a legendary dragon blast me with flames and claws at me with my health only dropping a tiny bit. I'm too damned powerful for my own good. I am starting over now and try to go the alterations and conjurations route, my last route was destruction, one-two handed being my top priority.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
But honestly, one of the biggest things I loved about the TES universe is the "Dwemer".
Who were they? what were they like? how powerful were they? and most important of all, what happened to them?
Reading the books in Skyrim only gave you hints of who they were and what happened to them, though the extent of what really happened to them is really not known. The battle of red mountain between the dark elves and dwemer was the a master dwemer tried to extract and link the power of the heart of lorkhan, a long forgotten god apparently, to the entire race of dwemer, thus elevating them to a higher state of power...but in doing so the entire race vanished. Just vanished, gone in but a few seconds. Its not known what happened to them, if they all died, or really did ascend to a higher plane of existence. When arniel of winterhold tried an experiment where he would replicate what the dwemer did that day, he vanished only to re-appear as a "Shade" tells me the entire race probably died.
All we are left with is there machines and vast underground cities, empty and devoid of life. I have spent hours exploring dwemer underground complexes in complete silence, every now and then fighting off an old relic and machines long forgotten....
I have no doubt that if the dwemer were still around, they would no doubt be the dominate race and civilization, there way of life in logic and reasoning would propel them to heights of flying machines and newer power sources other then steam, they would be the technological prowess the world of tamerial had never seen.
I can only hope the creators of the TES universe would create a TES game, not a MMORG, but like skyrim and oblivion on the new XBOXONE and show off a world towards the future of the TES, hopefully with one where the Dwemer have RETURNED.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Well guys I gotta say tha skyrim destroyed my gaming experience with other games.
I was not really into this kind of game but saw my Son play it and asked him what it was.
well that was it,went out and bought a copy and was instantly hooked.
Its the only game i played for the entire of 2012,even took a few sickies from work so i
could play,logged 717 hours all on the same character finished the expansions too.
So started a few other games,Crysis 3,Fall Out NV and Oblivion but i could not get into them
Fall Out NV I finished and it was ok,Oblivion I only lasted to level 6 then gave up,and Crysis 3
with its amazing graphics im still struggling with.
But its also done me a favour,i dont spent so much time in front of the pc,took up air rifle field
target shooting and building rc helicopters,oh and spending more time the the wife lol.
Anyway just saw the elder scrolls will be going online next year,so if its anywhere as good
as Skyrim was then i guess the wife will be divorcing me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join