It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expect the Worst; Hope for the Best

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
How many of you have spent time writing a thread only to have it completely ignored? Maybe the response you did get wasn't they one you were hoping for. Maybe your expectations were set to high.

This is true with every day life. We spend time creating expectations about everything we do. We deal with the expectations of others.

I only have control over my own expectations, so for me I try to keep mine at a minimum for any situation. I am not pessimistic; rather I am cautiously a realistic optimist.

The post I just read had to with someone thinking ATS was not a place to have a discussion about things with out being politically correct; they had expectations that were not being met and so they wished us all a farewell.

Guess what? When you signed up to be here they gave you specific rules and regulations; this is the way they want their website operated. They laid down specific expectations that they have for their members on their free forum; if you fail to meet their expectations then you will deal with the consequences.

You don't have to be here and you do not have to agree and you can disappear and ATS will function just fine without you.

I spent many years at various websites and I am glad ATS has the rules they do have in place; it is why I am here. They do allow for a responsible intelligent conversation to occur in all of their forums; as long as you play by the rules.

I have many things I am interested in that I follow, I am not well versed in many of the topics, so, I think the problem most have is expectations they have of others when offering an opinion on any subject and being told they are wrong.

I have written things that I believe and my expectations for others to agree is minimized so that I do not get hard feelings and lash out. If someone doesn't agree with me that is fine; I have the option of whether or not I want to respond, but my expectations are not going to be affected by the response I get or lack of response I get,

If I am disappointed that is my fault not theirs. The same can be said for others expectations of me. If they are disappointed then they need to accept that their expectations are the cause of said disappointment.

Reasonable expectations are still often not met and disappointment can still exist, but the extent of that disappointment is ultimately up to each individual. Having a thick skin is not easy in a paper thin world, biting remarks can sting regardless of expectations; if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen or carry a big fire extinguisher with you.

Soul

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Considering the law of attraction and how much I believe attitude can affect outcomes; I think your thread title could be more accurately written as "Prepare for the worst, but expect the best".

This is simply a way I train myself to think. Perhaps the difference is subtle, but positive results are more likely to result from positive outlooks in my opinion. I am not being naive, but attitude is big in my experience.

new topics

join