It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science vs Magic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
This was the premise of a sci fi idea I was thinking of where a 'magical' utopic civilization meets a Type III technologically advanced civilization on the edge of their galaxies, inter-galactic

Started off with something like the scientific race first detects anomalies,
sends weaponized probes to investigate,

The magic races sense a foreign intrusion and send dimensional scouts, cause they're magic,
the probes and scouts have an initial "battle". magic simply vanishes them into the void.

Magic has so many variabilities, in a real war between the two concepts,
magic's superiority lies in it's uncertainty;
Telekinesis,
Instantaneous transmission,
Shape-shifters,
Power mimicry,
Temporal Duplication,
Invisibility,
Matter/kinetic absorption
Visuals such X-ray, Thermal, Infrared
Psychometry/Telepaths,
Mind Control,
Animation - Bringing inanimate objects to life
Elemental Transmutation
Gravity/Light/Memory Manipulation

But the most dangerous to Science; Technopathy - The ability to manipulate Technology

Electrical manipulation that allows physical interaction with machines/mental interface with computer data.

Science's only hope was removing the ability for magic to use magic.

Came up with things like molecular de-materialization pistols or energy draining devices involved in pretty much removing their matter from the universe altogether.

Black Hole ray guns etc.. but beyond that it was heavily one sided.

I'm interested to what you can imagine on Science's side,
or magic if you feel the need to develop the magic side a bit more, but they seem more then capable.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

I have nothing to add. My fingers seem to be almost broken. I will count on it equaling what it always has, in that such things can be divined.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Diplomacy is always best kind of science magic. War is last resort.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

Diplomacy is always best kind of science magic. War is last resort.

Eventually they would combine their intellect for the final scene of inter-galactic peace where they co-exist in a magical technology paradise yay

but before that I want the craziest battle of epic proportions
with relations to the real world.

For one I want magic races to be sensitive and compassionate, they aren't going into this with the intention to destroy like the Science side is. But that doesn't make magic a pushover either, they'll still operate in a Guerilla fashion,

Teleporting into the head of the scientific research facilities office to snatch him up for interrogation etc..

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I LOVE that.

When I was a kid, I had this video game called Alicia Dragoon. The plot as I recall was a magical princess with pet dragons, fighting a new evil in the land. When she gets to the core of it, its a HUGE crashed alien ship. It was such an incredible setting for a story - the magic and the tech together - that I'm amazed it hasn't been done more.

Oh, also the RPG "Shadowrun". Incredible setting, but you rarely see it done.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Interesting. As a writer who writes in both fields and yes it is fun to mix them I have another way to look at it.

There is no such thing as magic. There is only the combination of knowledge and the ability to use that knowledge. What we do not understand and because we do not understand, we call it magic.

There seems little difference in results between Magic teleportation and the teleport aka Star Trek.

Another thing you may consider is the total variation between species development. It is feasible for a species to develop FTL travel without access to so much as a calculator. We need calculators, other races may not. It is all so variable.

P

top topics

join