It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian nuclear incident causes panic.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Saturday, November 6, 2004. 6:11am (AEDT)

An incident at a nuclear power plant has caused panic in central Russia, with disbelieving residents ignoring official accounts of what happened.

Russian officials say the emergency shutdown at the Balakovskaya nuclear power plant on Thursday resulted in no increase of radioactivity.

However residents up to 300 kilometres away have rushed to buy radiation antidotes, while some businesses are advising employees to stay home and close the windows.

www.abc.net.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hmmm...

They don't eleborate on the nature of the "incident".

Probably a 3-mile island or Chernobyl type of thing.

Or could it be Chechens?

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I just checked a Russian site.

Supposedly, there was a leak of pure clean water in one of the systems of the reactor, (while nothing leaked to the outside anyway) and they needed to fix that. To that end, there was a shutdown.

My feeling is that the rumors are greatly exaggerated.

[edit on 5-11-2004 by Aelita]

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The two graphs at the bottom of this page seem consistant with each other.
I'm not saying it has anything to do with this though. Btw, it updates every 30min'.
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I think the real story is the Russian people's panic.The incident was minor but their reaction made it a bigger story.And I dont blame them I would have been abit scared myself.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
My feeling is that the rumors are greatly exaggerated.

Might be...
But when you think about the credibility to any "official" explaination over there, you really can�t blame them. After all, when the Tchernobyl incident happened it was kept quiet until radiation was detected and reported from other countries. And the news started to spread so they couldn�t keep it quiet any longer. I would panic, I think...

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Yes, but any significant air discharge of radiation would drift over other countries and be detected very quickly. If there had been a major accident, it would be impossible to cover up for long. We shall see.

top topics

join