It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops break down door and use taser based on a tip that man was yelling and woman was crying...what i

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
So where do we go with this one. A neighbor called in a possible domestic violence case. He heard a woman crying. Not screaming. Not yelling help me...crying outside and a man yelling. So he did not ask what was wrong or if she was ok, he called the police. Police enter to grab the wife and the man tries to remove the police...

Watch the video to see what happens

Link

The officers were investigating a domestic disturbance, which he said qualifies as an exigent circumstance, or an emergency situation, in which they do not need a warrant, Parish said. "If the officers would have walked away and something happened, then the Police Department would have been criticized for not performing their duties," Parish said. Parish said the administrative review had not yet begun and will involve interviewing all parties involved. However, he defended what he observed of his officers' behavior. "It was a poor choice on their (the residents') behalf not to cooperate with law enforcement," Parish said. "My officers were very professional and very calm, and I'm proud of their performance." Read more at www.liveleak.com...

Many of you will argue about a domestic violence case and it must be investigated. She was crying. Again, she was not screaming for help. Crying. The husband and the wife say there is nothing wrong and even explain that the kids are outside playing. I am not saying it is right but what if they were having rough sex and someone interpreted it as an argument? there can be lots of yelling and crying then too. A lot of what ifs?,

The Woods and Helton said they were pushed to the ground and handcuffed. Parish said the officers said Jennifer Wood appeared to be "taking direction from James supporting the officer's belief that she was a domestic violence victim."

An officers belief. If this was the third call to the address or if a resident pops up with priors, then maybe they take caution but is a call about a someone yelling and someone crying probable cause to kick in a door or could they have handled it differently. I would not want anyone to ever be hurt and would not want the police to simply walk away but kick in a door and taser someone? I am a little conflicted here. What if they came in guns drawn and shoot and we then have an accidental death. There were children there. Do they have the right to kick in the door...or again is this a taste of what is to come when a citizen drop a tip. I am sure there are some crackhouses nearby they could go harass.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Some jurisdictions have a standing protocol that when the police are summoned to a "domestic disturbance call" that someone has to go to jail (either the husband or the wife)....but the fact that the call did not originate from the home should be a mitigating circumstance.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

An angry man and a crying woman doesn't translate to a domestic dispute. Even if I'm crying while my husband yells, maybe I'm sad because my car was totaled by a drunk driver and my husband's reaction is to be angry and rant.

I wouldn't have even called the police just based on a woman crying and an angry man. There's no way to interpret that without more information.

OH WAIT. That's because I have brain and realize it's best to determine what's going on before jumping in feet first. Unlike...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
Some jurisdictions have a standing protocol that when the police are summoned to a "domestic disturbance call" that someone has to go to jail (either the husband or the wife)....but the fact that the call did not originate from the home should be a mitigating circumstance.

the trouble with police and their "protocols" is that they're not legal.

both the man and woman say that no domestic abuse occurred, and if the woman was crying, why taser her? this is an example of the police state. do as we say or you get tased.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
Police enter to grab the wife and the man tries to remove the police...

The end.

A neighbor was concerned and called the police. The police arrived and, had the man acted like a something other than an a-hole D-bag, they probably could have cleared up any misunderstanding. However, since the man did act like a d-bag, there was probably something going on.

The police have a duty to respond and if they had ignored the concerned caller and something tragic happened, they would be skewered in the press. Maybe the guy just beats the crap out of his wife if they don't show up to investigate the complaint?

It's a simple equation. Police show up due to a disturbance call. Man has the choice to talk to the police and possibly clear up a misunderstanding or explain what was really going on, or to "try to remove the police". Which one of those two choices is rational and which one is the decision of either a guilty man or someone looking for a tasing?

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
When the police receive a call about a disturbance, they go out to investigate the claim. When they knock on the door, "no thanks, everything is fine" is not an option. You let them in and they ask questions. If nothing appears wrong, they move on.

Choose not to let them in, and they kick in the door.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I couldnt tell if the guy was screaming while he was getting tazed or if that was the wife. LOL but After wathcing the video, the guy has a legit arguement. The police obviousily entered the home illegally, There was NO danger seen in the film, so I dont see why the police kicked the door in. Of course i would have handled that way different. and smoothed things over.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
well i guess the police protocol doesnt apply in Ohio,.
when a neighbor calls in something suspicious like
three women being walked around in their back yard , naked
and treated like dogs,. the cops just blow that off,..

Maybe they just pick and choose what dispute they wish to address

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Videos like this remind me why it's logical to distrust the police. Sure, the man was yelling and acting very defensive, if he let them in and told them nothing was wrong they would have still searched his whole house and asked further questions but they wouldn't have tased them. The man had a legal right to act that way though, the protocols are idiotic, and the officers who don't stop for a second to think and use this thing called a brain to distinguish a dangerous situation from a harmless one are the type of officers which make the entire population of planet earth more than a little annoyed. Not all negative stereotypes are false.

edit on 17-5-2013 by pyramidikal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

They did not know why the cops were there...

So if cops come to your door and you have no idea why, should you let them in? That is what does not sit right. Someone yelled...someone was crying. So, case in point, if you discipline your child and they cry, does that mean that someone can call the police and they come to your house? If you do not answer, because you do not know why they are there and it is your right to refuse, they can kick in your door to find out. I am not saying it is the smartest thing to do, realize, but as a US citizen it is your right.

Your answer may be correct but it is a conditioned response.

Long story short, my ex wife tried to commit suicide a year to the day after her brother died in an accident. I called 911. When they arrived, she was responsive(pill attempt) but they attempted to Baker Act her. While trying to handcuff her, SHE grabbed my arm. This, to the officers there, was obsturciton on my part. How? They grab my arm and I was beaten with clubs, kicked and punched. I was beat so bad they broke my nose by sweeping me to the ground and when I turned my head on the ground he kneed me. (I am about 6;3, 215, but at no time did I raise my voice, threaten, etc) All I kept saying was 'why are you doing this'. Also, they made sure to tell me my 2 year old son who was asleep would be taken away and my ass was going to jail. It was an excuse to beat the hell out of someone. These cops exist. They were over 10 year veterans with known issues but the IA case went nowhere. There were also multiple EMT's there who were too scared of the cops to testify. If i iphones were around then I would have more money than Jay-z after a trial.

You do not have to do anything wrong to get tased, beat up or even shot. Overzealous wanna be special forces guys who want to find a fight each shift.

Again, realize, this would mean if someone heard your child crying and called police, they can kick in your door...
edit on 17-5-2013 by esdad71 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy
When the police receive a call about a disturbance, they go out to investigate the claim. When they knock on the door, "no thanks, everything is fine" is not an option. You let them in and they ask questions. If nothing appears wrong, they move on.

this is patently false. the ONLY way police could enter for such a reason is if the call originated from the house itself, and they were unable to tell who called. this would not be grounds to taser the occupants.

BOTH the man and woman said there was no domestic violence occurring. you can CHOOSE to let them in, but they do not have the legal authority to kick down the door without reasonable cause. this is a violation of the fourth amendment, property rights, and personal liberty.

your ignorance shows with the phrase "investigate the claim", followed by "saying no isn't an option". this is a "guilty until proven innocent" mindset, and i will be disappointed if you're not a police officer. it is the sort of rhetoric i would expect from the police, but not someone who gives a damn about their rights or someone who is even aware of them in the first place.

gee, what a choice

edit on 17-5-2013 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The whole argument in this case ends with "tried to remove the officers".

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by flyswatter

Please read the article...this is what he did...he tried to remove them verbally, not physically....sorry I did not describe it properly.

An officer grabbed her arm, and her husband said: "You have no right to be in here, you have no right to be here, do not touch her, do not touch her, you are assaulting her.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I think the cameraman acted quite calmly given the circumstances.
So if the wife was a 'victim' of domestic abuse, the best way to deal with that (she had both hands up) is to taser her?

Obviously this is the police's idea of keeping the peace.

This is the police overreacting. They were completely wrong. What boils my blood is the whole, "We did a great job" kind of rubbish from the commander.

Will anyone be reprimanded? Absolutely not. Why not? Because they never are.

top topics

join