It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Umbrella Gate...Marines asked to violate dress code protocol so President doesn't get wet

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Let's ban umbrella's.. When it rains soak it up!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
non issue

then why take the time out of yoru day to respond to it?

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by PrimePorkchop

To point out how ridiculous this thread is...Lot of people in this thread are suffering from ODS "Obama derangement syndrome"They're Making a mountain out of a mole hill..Btw,I'll add another star to Muse's comment.
edit on 19-5-2013 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I personally don't know why people are making THAT big a deal out of it.

But I will say that it does make him look pretty over indulged. It's almost as if he views the marine as inferior, making him his servant basically to cover him from a little bit of rain. It kind of reminds me of an emperor laying down in his chair, eating from a grape vine, while a servant stands above him with a large leaf, fanning it up and down, in order to keep him cool. And to me, I frown upon that.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lingweenie
making him his servant basically to cover him from a little bit of rain.

How do you know Obama told the marines to do it....

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Let's be honest. Do you think the SPIRIT of this rule means that a Marine isn't allowed to carry an umbrella to shield himself from the rain? Or do you think it means that, under no circumstances is a Marine authorized to touch an umbrella while in uniform?

I'm more inclined to think the purpose of this rule is to show that a Marine can withstand the rain and isn't a "softie" who needs protection from the rain... To "carry an umbrella" in the rain means to use it to protect one's self, rather than to honor the Commander-in-Chief's request.

The "spirit of the rule" is irrelevant. What matters is how the rule is written and interpreted. We can find many examples of this throughout the criminal code that we all live by. How often have we seen laws written and passed that were in the "spirit of" one thing but get enforced under a whole different meaning outside of the "spirit" of the laws intentions?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I admit defeat you are right. Mostly.

But the relevance of whether you served or not does matter and you know it or else you wouldn't have brought that up.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
So, after talking with some friends after seeing a very hilarious comic strip about this, I've come to realize I got butthurt over my distaste for the man in question. Bruce was right. Considering the other crap Marines go through, this is trivial and I would have done the same thing, pride be damned.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join