To me, part of the ultimate irony here is that this was a press conference that was intended to try to make some of the recent scandals go away but it
appears to have only spawned a new one.
The internet beat on this is that
1. Male Marines are not allowed to carry an umbrella while in uniform unless it is to cover a lady that they are escorting
2. Regulations prohibit a standing marine order being countermanded without proper channels. Commander in Chief or not what I am reading from those
who have served is that the President can't just order them to do so.
3. Because this is a violation it goes in career jackets and could interfere with promotions (given the circumstances I certainly hope that isn't the
case for these Marines)
4. It was a narcissistic display by the President who thinks so little of those who serve that they should be on umbrella duty OR shows how little he
knows about the services of which he is Commander in Chief
5. Holding an umbrella could interfere with the duties the Marines actually are supposed to attend
6. If the President really needed someone else to hold his umbrella there were others who would have been better suited and not placed the
uncomfortable situation of committing a violation or refusing their Commander in Chief
There is a pic circulating in which Ronald Reagan is standing next to Nancy in the rain. She has an umbrella. He does not. She is holding it
Sarah Palin wrote an open letter which ended with her comment that at least he finally called in the Marines (Benghazi reference) shame it was just to
hold him umbrella.
Many message boards are expressing disappointment and outrage.
I am not comfortable with it. As I have been uncomfortable with a lot of what's come out the last little while...
Full disclosure: I voted for him.
I searched and didn't find. That surprised me. If already up please forgive the duplicate.
edit on 16-5-2013 by watcher3339 because: (no