It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic To Pricey? You Can Still Eat as Healthy For $30.00 a WEEK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I speak with plenty of people that have little money to splurge on things like gadgets, or movies, or even fancy clothes, but I hate it more than anything when they tell me thats also the reason why they eat out so much, or they cant afford to eat organic food. I would like this thread to dispell that disinformation and also help ourselves and otehrs to be healthier.

We are aware that Monsanto has run their grubby little fingers in everything, well there are way to maybe not avoid everything, but you sure as hell can make a difference if you have some tips.

Also please share anything else that you can!

Lets start with the basic, as we can cover 2 meals, one snack for least a week, these are some of my own tips, and others that I have learned in order to be healthier and not be broke. This of course cannot cover everyone with illness, or dietary problems, but it can give you some ideas of your own.

This will be one random week, just to give you an idea
Prices in your area may vary, but nothing that a little shopping around couldnt help.

2lbs of ground beef

2 lbs of beans

1 pack of corn tortillas

I fryer chicken

I box of spaghetti

2 dozen eggs

I gln of milk (dry preferred by me)

3 lbs. of potatoes

I small 6 pk of raisins or dried fruit of your choice

1 loaf of bread

i bag of mixed veggies frozen

2 cans spaghetti sauce

Now remember many of you have these things already, so you can change the ingredients as needed.

With the ground beef you can make.
Meatloaf with the eggs and bread toasted and used as crumbs also the veggies on the side.

With the fryer chicken, you can cut the (whole) chicken up and have 2 meals with it as it will produce 2 legs, 2 wings, 2 thighs, and 2 breast, but also the ribs and back.

Also the back and ribs can be boiled and used for a healthy soup (broth) and added for noodles will be the spaghetti, veggies, potatoes, and some beans.

Breakfast you can use the eggs and tortillas and make breakfast burritos.

Also the tortillas can be baked or fry for a snack, and beans boiled and mashed for dipping, and beans and heated tortillas for an addition to the chicken for dinner.

The ground beef and the sauce can be a spaghetti dinner, and a covering for meatloaf.

The rest of the bread can be used for bread pudding which can be done with milk, bread, dried fruit, and baked.

The potatoes can be used as an accompaniment for the meatloaf and there is a great way to have hash brown on the side with your breakfast burrito.

Also the dried fruit is for snacking, but if you have left over bread,egg, and milk you can also make french toast, add some sugar and fruit and make a sweet glaze, if you dont have syrup.

A quick tip for the potatoes you can boil or microwave them in advance and refrigerate this will make things much easier when you want them without the wait.

And last but not least and this will indeed be for the 2 last days.

Anything that you have left over can make a frittata, this will include any and all left over, the bottom base is potato, eggs and leftovers added to the top and baked this will last for days, cooked in a med/large frying pan it can make 6-8 slices.

With everything used up, your next week can start fresh with new ideas but the same premise of saving and uses for all our food, without breaking your wallet.

Most people dont know what a frittata is, so here is a pic of what you will NOT waste at the end of the week

Hope this helped, even if just to reinvent what you do now, and just needed a fresh look.

Peace, NRE.

edit on 16-5-2013 by NoRegretsEver because: change title.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Delete
edit on 16-5-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

No, I am saying that many people think that there is no reason to eat healthier homemade food for a reasonable price, that organic is the only way to do it, I wanted to show that you can eat at home for less thank eating out for a week, and even though its not organic its better than eating fried take out food all week.

Peace, NRE.

Thanks for making that point so others can get a clearer view of what I meant.

Thats why in my title is says "Organic to Pricey?" implying there is another choice if you cant afford it.
edit on 16-5-2013 by NoRegretsEver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I discovered MANY things are cheaper when you go organic. Two personal examples.

Milk, 1/2 gallon. Costs roughly $2 for regular milk full of hormones and antibiotics. Milk lasts 7 days.
Costs roughly $3.50 for milk free of hormones and antibiotics. Milk lasts 21 days.

So if I buy the better milk, I can actually FINISH it, and I have it for 3 weeks instead of paying for a new 1/2 gallon each week. Plus it tastes great.

Bananas, a bunch. Costs roughly $1 for maybe 5 bananas, they last about 3 days.
Costs roughly $2 for maybe 5 organic bananas, they last about 10 days.

So if I buy organic, I get to have a banana whenever I want over 10 days, finish them off. Buying regular ones means I only have them half the week and usually some get wasted.

Works for me. I am buying more and more fresh foods that are organic.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
reply to post by jude11

No, I am saying that many people think that there is no reason to eat healthier homemade food for a reasonable price, that organic is the only way to do it, I wanted to show that you can eat at home for less thank eating out for a week, and even though its not organic its better than eating fried take out food all week.

Peace, NRE.

Thanks for making that point so others can get a clearer view of what I meant.

Thats why in my title is says "Organic to Pricey?" implying there is another choice if you cant afford it.
edit on 16-5-2013 by NoRegretsEver because: (no reason given)

Ok, Got it. Thanks.

I'll just go ahead and delete that post. My bad.

In that case, it is definitely possible.

Peace

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I can eat on 40 bucks a week although it is not really organic but healthier than eating out. 23 or so pieces of chicken from sams club potato salad and oranges and frozen vegetables and all I drink is water or beer. Add some family diners and I eat good. I work a physical job and hit the gym

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I'm not being a dick but it should be "too pricey" not "to pricey".

(i flagged you so don't be mad.)
edit on 16-5-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I know some of you out there have some great recipes that are low in cost. Its truly a shame that people think that healthy solely means organic, its surely does not.

If anyone would like some recipes I will be more than glad to post them, also there are tons of other things that I will be adding. Things are getting tight for many out there, and its time to step up, we all want to know a way to get healthy without giving Monsanto and McDonalds their money... well here's a start

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

I have to admit i do love eating out, i never worry about spending money, its all made up numbers.

I have a nice expensive microwave oven that is still in the box. I have only used my oven once in my kitchen.
edit on 17-5-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

I find that odd. Most organics I buy I have to eat rather quickly as they seem to spoil faster. I thinking of going the European route and just buying three days of food at a time, just so I don't waste any.

But going over costs, it can be just as pricey theoretically at least. I will have to put it into practice to see if it is actually cheaper.

When it comes to hamburger, I’ll buy whole meat and have the butcher grind it for me. I’m not a fan of processed meat as it doesn’t agree with me anymore. That’s usually more expensive as well.

But I like your idea overall.

top topics

join