It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bob Ross, My Hero!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I have very few hero's in life, Bob Ross is one of them.

"You can do anything you want to do. This is your world"

No truer words have been spoken.

Ross died from lymphoma at the age of 52, on July 4, 1995, in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. The majority of his original oil paintings were donated to charities or to PBS stations. Today, Ross remains one of the best-known and highest-paid American painters. His legacy lives on through a number of facets, including a fan-based Twitter page of more than 15,000 followers.

Bob Ross Biography

I learned how to paint because of Bob. Every week I would watch his show in high school and was always amazed at how easy he made everything look. I loved The Joy of Painting!

Feeding Peapod. This was super cute!

And a time lapse of him painting
Mountain Waterfall

I heard he got mad when he was compared to some of the great artists. He never considered himself an artist. He just loved to paint and teach painting.

A true artist

I'm sure you are out there painting the universe!
We miss you Bob!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Amen. Bob was one of my hero's, too. Some people seem shocked when they find out I'm 28 and know who Bob Ross is. I'll still watch reruns of the joys of painting when they come on. Grew up watching him. Loved him so much better than cartoons and me and my father would laugh when he'd say "Happy little tree". Miss that guy..

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
He is right up there with Mr. Rogers! Lovely man. So calm. I just have to look at him and I can hear him talking. He seemed to create something out of nothing so effortlessly.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Inquisitive1

His shows reached out to every age.

He is timeless!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Yeah, his voice was also so original. So soothing and calm, even when he made a happy little accident...lol

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
reply to post by Iamschist

Yeah, his voice was also so original. So soothing and calm, even when he made a happy little accident...lol

That's what I remember the most about Bob. Not just the beautiful paintings he made, but the man had such a calming effect. He was such a loving spirit that I dare say he radiated with it..
edit on 16-5-2013 by Inquisitive1 because: I made a typo. Had to fix it. lol

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Here he is with a baby owl!

Awwwwwwww!!!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Inquisitive1

That's what I remember the most about Bob. Not just the beautiful paintings he made, but the man had such a calming effect. He was such a loving spirit that I dare say he radiated with it..

He did. I agree fully!

It was almost spiritual watching him because of the calming effect, almost like he was in a meditative state, and by watching and listening, you get put right into his state of mind sometimes...calm...relaxed...and just letting things flow. An amazing man.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I loved to watch Bob Ross paint. He was soo skillful and he made it look very easy.

Factoid: Bob Ross was a sniper in the Vietnam war. He has a little over 30 confirmed kills.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

1. He Was a Military Man Ross' quiet voice and gentle demeanor made him the perfect host for The Joy of Painting, but those traits might have kept him from being the perfect soldier. Before Ross became a TV painter, he spent 20 years in the United States Air Force and retired with the rank of master sergeant. In fact, an early assignment to Alaska helped expose the Florida native to the snowy mountains and evergreens that would become staples of his art. Viewers might find it surprising that the serene Ross was an Air Force sergeant, and it sounds like the painter thought it was a little odd himself. He later told the Orlando Sentinel, "I was the guy who makes you scrub the latrine, the guy who makes you make your bed, the guy who screams at you for being late to work. The job requires you to be a mean, tough person. And I was fed up with it." When Ross retired from the Air Force, he allegedly vowed never to scream again, a plan that seems to have worked perfectly.

Taken From:5 Happy little things you did not know about Bob Ross

According to the link, he also never charged for any of his paintings and hated his fro!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
awesome!

thanks all of you for posting those videos..

i have always been a BIG fan of Bob and so has my wife..

so , once again, I thank all of you for that!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

You are very welcome!

That just made my day!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I have a question.

Did Bob inspire you to Paint?

After watching many of his shows for the novelty of his painting and personality, I decided to try it out. I bought a Bob Ross Master Painting kit for 50 bucks from a craft store. Painting is really as easy as Bob makes it look on TV.

See.. I can't draw, not even a straight line but these techniques Bob uses have been around for centuries and are proven. It's called Alla Prima or wet on wet painting. Many of the Masters used the Alla Prima style. This style is so easy to learn you can crank out nice landscapes in just a days practice and a little instruction. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Btw.. check out Ronnie Tucker on YouTube. He can paint Bob Ross style with his tablet PC and a free program called Gimp.

www.youtube.com...

I'd love to try this but i don't have a tablet pc. Some years back the Bob Ross company was going to start their own painting software but the deal fell through.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Huge fan! I remember sitting with my sister, watching him and thinking he must be some kind of magician to make the paintings look so realistic! Love the remix.

RIP Bob Ross.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I'm pretty much a classically trained artist, and I always got a bit miffed when snooty art teachers would downplay Bob and his work. I can't see any reason for one artist to devalue what another one does. Just loved the guy, and there were plenty of techniques that even a classically trained artist can take from his shows.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I have a question.

Did Bob inspire you to Paint?

After watching many of his shows for the novelty of his painting and personality, I decided to try it out. I bought a Bob Ross Master Painting kit for 50 bucks from a craft store. Painting is really as easy as Bob makes it look on TV.

See.. I can't draw, not even a straight line but these techniques Bob uses have been around for centuries and are proven. It's called Alla Prima or wet on wet painting. Many of the Masters used the Alla Prima style. This style is so easy to learn you can crank out nice landscapes in just a days practice and a little instruction. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

He had a magical touch with his paints for sure.
Another thing I loved about him was how he cleaned his brushes by whacking them against his easel legs.
Thats something I do myself now...lol

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thats cause deep down inside, those teachers were jealous

edit on 17-5-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I'm not an artist, I do however love watching Bob Ross paint.

I found him by accident on an early morning TV program a few years ago, and he has that nature that makes you believe ANYONE can paint like that.

That is a rare commodity, such positivity and grace.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join