It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive underwater volcano discovered off the coast of southeast Alasksa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Volcanoes aren't a rare thing, however, what makes this one stand out is that it was discovered a few weeks ago......
about 150 ft. or so under the water.

The volcano itself last erupted over 10,000 years ago but at that time, it wasn't under the ocean.
That's what makes it so interesting for geologists, and also the fact that nobody currently living knew it was even there until just a few weeks ago.

U.S. Forest Service Geologist Jim Baichtal, who is based on Prince of Wales Island, and Anchorage USGS geologist Sue Karl were looking at some hydrographic surveys, something geologists tend to do. When we were done, I noticed the area from Thorne Arm to Rudyerd had been surveyed,” Baichtal said. “I zoomed in and there was this large… some kind of volcano, and two other dome-like structures.” Karl added that, “This new NOAA survey allowed us to see things that people had never seen before.”

www.krbd.org...

Baichtal said that after spotting the cone-shaped mass, he used a special computer program to look more closely at the surveys, and they could see the vent still was intact. They also could tell that it erupted in the air, even though it’s now under water.

They were able to go down and survey it and brought back 2 rock samples which will give them more information which they are still analyzing.
At the moment, they figure that the volcano erupted within the last 13,000 years, after the ice retreated, as the land was slowly bouncing back, and when sea levels were lower.

The newly discovered volcano is very close to New Eddystone Rock, which is what’s left over from another volcano, which may have erupted around the same time frame. They are both near the entrance to Misty Fiords National Monument.

I find this stuff very fascinating and thought I would share it....

snarky

edit on 16-5-2013 by snarky412 because: oops moment....

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Excellent find, OP! S & F

We think we know what's under the waves, but we're proven so very wrong on a regular basis. What we think the planet looks like is always changing, and it really hits home the fact that virtually everything underwater is still so new, or alien, to us.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Yeah nice find, S&F!

We were just talking in another thread about how funding cuts are affecting various aspects of geology, and particularly, the Alaska Volcano Observatory. I guess they won't be putting monitoring at this new one any time soon. Hell, they are having to cut out existing monitoring at several volcanoes already because of the cuts. All because we had to have a new whammy bammy jet.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Very interesting news. I wonder if the volcano will ever be active again? S&F

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

They were able to go down and survey it and brought back 2 rock samples which will give them more information which they are still analyzing.
At the moment, they figure that the volcano erupted within the last 13,000 years, after the ice retreated, as the land was slowly bouncing back, and when sea levels were lower.

The newly discovered volcano is very close to New Eddystone Rock, which is what’s left over from another volcano, which may have erupted around the same time frame. They are both near the entrance to Misty Fiords National Monument.

I find this stuff very fascinating and thought I would share it....

snarky

edit on 16-5-2013 by snarky412 because: oops moment....

sorry to interruprt, but question:

if ice retreats land mass grows and sea levels drop.. where did all the water go?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Still learning, still finding. Earth gives up her secrets reluctantly. Subduction zones scary places. I wonder at all the other things we will find now that the glaciers are retreating and the weight is off so to speak.

If you believe in Gaia, must feel good not to have all that cold heavy weight on you. Might make the old gal kick up her heels.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by choos

if ice retreats land mass grows and sea levels drop.. where did all the water go?

Just to clarify, the sea levels didn't drop, they were lower at that time.
The ocean levels are higher now than 13,000 years ago.

ETA:
I would like to also add that they believe that there are many more hidden by trees that weren't there at that time.
[the trees that is....
]
Mother Nature is always evolving........

edit on 16-5-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Wow,
that's kind of close to my hometown!
Within 150 miles if I measured it right.

Nice to know it is there!

SnF!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Just thought I'd add this for those that didn't read the article:

“We know that we have a lot of volcanoes out in the Aleutians, but if you talk about volcanoes in Southeast, everybody imagines Edgecumbe … when in fact, south of Craig and south of Ketchikan here, we actually have a much larger number of vents and a bigger volcanic complex. It’s just less known,” he said.

That’s because some are underwater, and those that aren’t are covered by trees. Karl said as people explore more of the area’s wilderness, they’re discovering more vents.

It would be nice to locate them so they can study and monitor them.
Don't need one to wake up and roar to life......

edit on 16-5-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I always enjoy these type of threads! who knows what else we will find....hope it stays dormant.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Amazing that they can tell if it erupted above water. I wonder what would happen if a volcano erupted under a mile high glazier, would it blow a hole through the glazier, slowly eat through the ice, or not effect it at all. .

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Just to clarify, the sea levels didn't drop, they were lower at that time.
The ocean levels are higher now than 13,000 years ago.

I always taught that the great flood was water that gushed out of the inner earth...

About the volcano, well I'm not surprised one bit, the coast of Alaska is where the Ring of Fire passes trough

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Which also ties in well with the "if civilizations existed 200,000 years ago, why can't we find any evidence" complaint...

The earth's surface looked a lot different back then. Maybe the evidence is down there. Waaaaay down there...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteMagicWoman
Which also ties in well with the "if civilizations existed 200,000 years ago, why can't we find any evidence" complaint...

The earth's surface looked a lot different back then. Maybe the evidence is down there. Waaaaay down there...

What was left of the civilizations would have been destroyed and lost, hence no known 'evidence' as you stated.
Earth has evolved and will always evolve, nothing Man can do about it.
All we can do is adapt and change with Mother Nature.

One day our society will be gone, thousands of years from now.
And any one who uncovers the statue of Abraham Lincoln will think he was a God we worshiped!!

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glassbender777
Amazing that they can tell if it erupted above water. I wonder what would happen if a volcano erupted under a mile high glazier, would it blow a hole through the glazier, slowly eat through the ice, or not effect it at all. .

That's a good question.....

One thing is for sure, I wouldn't want to be near it if it ever wakes up!!

top topics

join