It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone care to try an experiment? :D

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This might be fun...

This little experiment is for anyone who is an avid church goer... Not meant to offend, just to test those around you...

When I was a child and I went to church, there was a certain dress code... Everyone got all fancied up in their "sunday best"... suit an and tie, or a dress.

IF you happen to attend one of these churches, it is you who im talking to...

IF your church is already casual... This doesn't involve you..

Have you ever tried going to church in your regular casual ware?

Better yet, ripped jeans and a T-shirt? (if that's your thing)

What kind of looks would you get from the congregation?

What would these people think of you?

Would they judge you based on the clothes you are wearing?

IS there anyone out there that would be interested in trying this experiment and hopefully posting the results here afterwards?

Who's in?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Ive had an ongoing debate with some Jehovah witness friends, the have a fairly stringent dress code, again not really formally enforced, just they should dress nice.

Mathew 23:5 comes to mind

5 But all their works they do to be seen of men: for they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, 6 and love the chief place at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,

the last thing a person should worry about when church going is how they look.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I'm not aware of any church that has a dress code, apart from cults who attempt to control everything in people's lives anyway. In the Catholic Church, you're expected not to show up in a swimsuit or something, but I wear jeans to Mass every Sunday and don't stand out.

I had a friend in my old Methodist Church who said that when she was "talked into going to church" by her then boyfriend, later husband, she dressed as outrageously as she could in an effort to be disruptive, and she said that the reaction of the congregation, which ignored her clothing and poor manners (she said she swore a lot in conversations,) and welcomed her, week after week, to the church, was one of the motivating factors that turned her to Christianity.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

So you can see why I mentioned that if your church is already casual, this doesn't apply to you

Though im always happy to have you in my threads... you always have good insight...

thanks for your reply my friend... YOU TOO benrl!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

So you can see why I mentioned that if your church is already casual, this doesn't apply to you

But I think that, apart from the cults that I mentioned, every church is "casual" in this manner. Dressing in one's "Sunday finest" is a little 19th Century, though I always smile at little kids dressed to the nines for Easter Sunday. But I've seen people dressed like schlubs on Easter Sunday, too, and no one bats an eye.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

But I think that, apart from the cults that I mentioned, every church is "casual" in this manner. Dressing in one's "Sunday finest" is a little 19th Century, though I always smile at little kids dressed to the nines for Easter Sunday. But I've seen people dressed like schlubs on Easter Sunday, too, and no one bats an eye.

The one I grew up in was not...

So every church isn't casual... actually I would say most are not where im from...

We are from different countries ye know...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

what is this?

phylacteries

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Dear Akragon,

I don't have much to add to the comments already here, so let me just throw in a personal note. After reading

This might be fun...

This little experiment is for anyone who is an avid church goer... Not meant to offend, just to test those around you...
I was stopped short. Perhaps it's just me, but I couldn't imagine that I'm in any position to judge those around me, especially those who are in church. You know, the old "Speck and beam in the eyeball" thing?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

What kind of looks would you get from the congregation?

When I was little, my mother made me go to church with her every Sunday and dressing up was required. As I got older and started doing more of my own thinking, I decided it didn't make any sense to have to dress up in fancy clothes just to go sit for an hour listening to the weekly sermon and wore khaki pants instead of a dress. That's just not done, you see, and I was treated to many disapproving looks that week. Because obviously the way I'm dressed has some impact on my moral fiber.

This wasn't a Pentecostal church or anything where pants are taboo for women (I assume from what I've seen), just your average Christian church. I was more than a little surprised, but it did open my eyes to the hypocrisy going on around me. I was in high school at the time, so it wasn't too difficult to notice the only-religious-on-Sunday people I went to school with who did everything but behave like Christians the rest of the week. It was only a short step from there to noticing the same of many of the older church members. Not all, mind you, but quite a few. There were several good ones mixed in there who didn't behave differently outside of church that I noticed.

Didn't take me long to decide that I didn't want to attend that church anymore and not much longer after that for me to realize that my morality has nothing to do with a belief in a higher power. Not that every Christian is like that. I've known several who practice what they preach, so to speak. Literally, in a few instances, since they were preachers. I'm not sure what you're getting at with your experiment but I'm curious and figured I'd toss my experience in for the heck of it.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

The church that I grew up in had a "dress code" so to speak. Women never wore pants, men always wore ties.

In the '70's when I was teenager, maxi skirts were in style, and I wore one to church. Our pastor, Brother Bibler, made me sit outside during the service. He said my attire was disruptive!

Our church choir attended a regional church pool party/picnic in Palm Springs. Our pastor made me sit in the bus the whole time because I brought a 2 piece bathing suit. My mother approved it, so it couldn't have been that bad.

I'm sure that there are still some churches out there that frown on certain appearances, these days, and there are still snippy judgmental hoity toities in some neighborhoods, but I wouldn't immediately call those people "Christians" and wouldn't care what they thought about what I wore.

Although I don't go to church, and haven't been to one in decades, other than weddings and funerals, I would think that such an experiment would be deliberately disruptive, and really serve no purpose other than to expose hypocrites.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by Akragon

Dear Akragon,

I don't have much to add to the comments already here, so let me just throw in a personal note. After reading

This might be fun...

I was stopped short. Perhaps it's just me, but I couldn't imagine that I'm in any position to judge those around me, especially those who are in church. You know, the old "Speck and beam in the eyeball" thing?

With respect,
Charles1952

Im not asking anyone to judge other people in their church... Im asking how and IF others would judge that person... When he/she showed up dressed down

Interesting responses thus far... Yet no takers for the experiment...

Its funny... I've never even heard of a church that is casual... And theres like 50 in my city... None of which causual dress is acceptable there in

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Although I don't go to church, and haven't been to one in decades, other than weddings and funerals, I would think that such an experiment would be deliberately disruptive, and really serve no purpose other than to expose hypocrites.

Perhaps that is the intention behind said experiment...

It shouldn't cause anyone to even "bat an eye" as adjensen put it...

But im willing to bet it will.... If anyone is up for the test

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I once wore a Red Wings cap while attending a church service.

I only was wearing it because I had a horrendous haircut and was very embarrassed over it and didn't want others to see me this way.

Anyway, when I stepped away for a moment to use the restroom, a gentleman walked in behind me and then asked for me to leave.

What hurt me the most was being homeless at the time this happened.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I'm out, my church is casual. Southern California man, were always casual.

I think it's a generational thing. I had to dress up as a kid, now it doesn't matter.
It's not just churches either. They used to dress up to go to the movies, baseball games, even dress up for dinner in thier own house. Blame Levi and his 501 Jeans.

What if you reverse it, show up to a casual church wearing a sports coat, tie and pleated slacks. For sure to get some looks there.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Steffenfield

I only was wearing it because I had a horrendous haircut and was very embarrassed over it and didn't want others to see me this way.

Anyway, when I stepped away for a moment to use the restroom, a gentleman walked in behind me and then asked for me to leave.

What hurt me the most was being homeless at the time this happened.

That is messed up!

I hope things are better for you these days...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

1. Have you ever tried going to church in your regular casual ware?

2. Better yet, ripped jeans and a T-shirt? (if that's your thing)

3. What kind of looks would you get from the congregation?

4. What would these people think of you?

5. Would they judge you based on the clothes you are wearing?

6. IS there anyone out there that would be interested in trying this experiment and hopefully posting the results here afterwards?

I took the liberty to number your questions as to make it easier to reply to them individually.

1. Yes, I have many times gone there in a more casual wear when I was younger and I was forced to due to time constraints when I was returning either from school / college / work and was late for some reason. Today, I work on a bank, so I am always clean shaved and in formal wear and this no longer may happen.

2. I do not own any ripped jeans, but I have gone there with a jeans and a T-shirt straight from College. School had his own uniform code and jeans were not allowed.

3. The same as always. People do not care what you are wearing. Although I am tempted to say that you might not be allowed in, were you not wearing anything.

4. Nothing. We understand that each one of us understands better than anyone else our own circunstances and our need to do such.

5. No. Why should they? I should, however, mention that most people that go "underdressed" feel ashamed by themselves of being underdressed, albeit without reason for such.

6. Sure. There you go.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Ive had an ongoing debate with some Jehovah witness friends, the have a fairly stringent dress code, again not really formally enforced, just they should dress nice.

Mathew 23:5 comes to mind

5 But all their works they do to be seen of men: for they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, 6 and love the chief place at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,

the last thing a person should worry about when church going is how they look.

Being a Witnesses myself, I can tell you that you are incorrect. Not only Witnesses do not have a fairly stringent dress code, but also the Bible say that you should care about how you look.

wol.jw.org...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Steffenfield

Maybe he was a Blackhawks fan

Seriously, though, that was deplorable and very non-Christian behaviour on the usher's part. Sorry that you had to go through that.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

This isn't workin out too well eh...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Can't help u bro. My church doesn't have a dress code. And if it did, most likely I wouldn't attend it. I get funny looks as it is with the tats up and down my arm. :-/

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join