Florida quietly shortened yellow light standards & lengths, resulting in more red light camera ticke

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Florida quietly shortened yellow light standards & lengths, resulting in more red light camera tickets for you

www.wtsp.com

A subtle, but significant tweak to Florida's rules regarding traffic signals has allowed local cities and counties to shorten yellow light intervals, resulting in millions of dollars in additional red light camera fines.
While yellow light times were reduced by mere fractions of a second, research indicates a half-second reduction in the interval can double the number of RLC citations -- and the revenue they create.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Sweet revenue gathering tool huh??!!

"Red light cameras are a for-profit business between cities and camera companies and the state," said James Walker, executive director of the nonprofit National Motorists Association. "The (FDOT rule-change) was done, I believe, deliberately in order that more tickets would be given with yellows set deliberately too short."

But at least it's got nothing to do with Obama for a change!!

www.wtsp.com

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I wonder if they did that around my area.This area wants to suck every penny they can.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Can't wait for the automated car because when it F***S up and cruises to close to a red I can send the bill to Ford. That and I can go and get zoned in the outlands then return to my trusty automated steed and say..."Home James"
edit on 16-5-2013 by minkmouse because: Bonehead grammer
edit on 16-5-2013 by minkmouse because: Spacing and eloquence
edit on 16-5-2013 by minkmouse because: Cos I don't freaking understand!
edit on 16-5-2013 by minkmouse because: I give up!!!!!!
edit on 16-5-2013 by minkmouse because: Note to self...Must design a computer system that works

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I hate short yellow lights, especially when pulling a trailer.
It's a damned or do situation some times......
Either you slam on brakes and risk sliding halfway out in the middle of the road or go through depending how much time has elapsed after the green turns yellow [and how fast you're going].

Many times we go through when at first it's on green/yellow but is on red by the time our trailer passes.

I like the towns that put a flashing warning light that let's you know the light is fixin' to change, gives you time to stop without worrying about the cameras.

I hate those cameras....

On the bright side, for those that have iffy backgrounds/vehicles, you don't have to worry about other issues, such as no license, no insurance, no brake lights etc. and other annoying things that cops look for.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
another way to bend over the average citizen and give it to him hard.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Ya, just like your own post has nothing to do about streetlights.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I am just beginning to not lurk and actually post here, so please forgive my rudimentary linking abilities, but aside from that, allow me to share with this great community the best defense I have found for these filthy, unconstitutional money grabbing devices. There is a product that you can spray onto your plate, nearly indistinguishable to the naked eye, that defeats all but the most modern of these devices. It simply refracts light directed at the surface, and, if applied correctly almost totally overexposes the image of the plate.
Please allow me to say, I in no way condone running red lights, as that is some major asshole sociopath sort of behavior, but there are legitimate examples of these cameras being employed as revenue returns, and not a public safety device as advertised.
Therefore, I disseminate to you all, at your own peril of course, the included link. Or so I hope, as i said, this will be my first attempt at embedding something here, so expect an edit! And cheers to those of us who are responsible drivers looking to not get caught up in some bureaucratic moneymaking scheme.
I give you :

Ok, well that didn't work, twice over.... I used the youtube embed link, could someone please enlighten me on my error? And for those not inclined to assist, I offer you this link, which you may follow yourself. It's SFW I am assuming.

youtu.be...
edit on 16-5-2013 by truthseeker2113 because: ignorance

Another edit, it seems i can liny, but can someone at least point me to a link on the proper way to embed a video here?
edit on 16-5-2013 by truthseeker2113 because: (no reason given)
edit on 16-5-2013 by truthseeker2113 because: learning to embed!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse
Can't wait for the automated car because when it F***S up and cruises to close to a red I can send the bill to Ford. That and I can go and get zoned in the outlands then return to my trusty automated steed and say..."Home James"
edit on 16-5-2013 by minkmouse because: Bonehead grammer
edit on 16-5-2013 by minkmouse because: Spacing and eloquence
edit on 16-5-2013 by minkmouse because: Cos I don't freaking understand!
edit on 16-5-2013 by minkmouse because: I give up!!!!!!
edit on 16-5-2013 by minkmouse because: Note to self...Must design a computer system that works

lol at your edits man have I been there

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker2113

Ok, well that didn't work, twice over.... I used the youtube embed link, could someone please enlighten me on my error? And for those not inclined to assist, I offer you this link, which you may follow yourself. It's SFW I am assuming.

youtu.be...
edit on 16-5-2013 by truthseeker2113 because: ignorance

Another edit, it seems i can liny, but can someone at least point me to a link on the proper way to embed a video here?
edit on 16-5-2013 by truthseeker2113 because: (no reason given)

here you go
embedding youtube videos made easy

edit on 16-5-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
This is digusting. Between revenue gathering tools and government research programs regulating what is okay to do, say, eat, etc. and what is not, this country is going to hell. Whats worse is, the people are talking, anf thsyre not listening.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

You are a superhero man! Thank your for the no nonsense guide and the very quick response. People like you are why this is my favorite site out there. Kudos!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

it's a damn trick. people learn the pattern of traffic lights and know how long the yellow takes to change to red. now that they've shortened it, it's thrown people's timing off and makes them run the light when they otherwise would have been fine.

this is actually quite dangerous. if running red lights is bad, then why would you change things so that more people run them? follow the money.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
They're setting my area up for this right now. I noticed recently camera's being installed at the intersections. This is the most unconstitutional thing I've ever seen. It blows my F-n mind. I'm tempted to take a 22 riffle and start shooting cameras. This makes me sick
WTF is this country coming to? I'm so pissed off I can't see straight.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
This is nothing new. They have been speeding up the time it takes to get from green to red for years now. Kansas City actually got busted about a year ago doing the same thing and they were forced to take down their cameras in some spots.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Florida quietly shortened yellow light standards & lengths, resulting in more red light camera tickets for you

www.wtsp.com

A subtle, but significant tweak to Florida's rules regarding traffic signals has allowed local cities and counties to shorten yellow light intervals, resulting in millions of dollars in additional red light camera fines.
While yellow light times were reduced by mere fractions of a second, research indicates a half-second reduction in the interval can double the number of RLC citations -- and the revenue they create.

This isn't just annoying when it takes your money.

It will lead to more accidents.

Whoever thought of shortening those timers should be charged with attempted manslaughter.
edit on 17-5-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

This is representative of how so many, many cities and towns across America have become petty municipal tyrannies.

Here where I live, traffic light cameras have been installed and it has been explained that the cost of purchase and upkeep, etc. would be covered from the fines taken in by violators. When this subject was recently discussed in a meeting at city hall and someone asked whether it was morally right to actually 'depend' on someone breaking the law in order to acquire certain project funding, no one on the city council answered and the question was ignored.

That, to me, is one definition of the term, 'petty tyranny'. Shortening the length of yellow lights to dip the wallets and purses of your local population also endangers their lives in traffic and ranks this title as well.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

You know... I suspected this was happening in my city in Texas too.
I even mentioned to my son a few months ago, that it seemed like the yellow lights werent lasting as long as they used to.
Ive been driving for about 25 years, so I think I'd notice something like that.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This is not at all a surprise. I always knew those yellow lights were going a lot faster after they installed scameras at certain intersections. Those lights also would do some trickery, like first thing in the morning when there were no cars at all, the light would turn yellow for about 1.5 seconds right when getting close to the line, so you are pretty much screwed.

It amazes me that scameras like these are able to be used legally to suck even more blood from the population.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I don't know FL laws but in California, the yellow light in the green, yellow, red sequence means that the green light is ending and that one should be prepared to stop. It doesn't mean you can't enter the intersection. I took the rules to court and beat a red light ticket. I told the judge I didn't enter the intersection with a red light. Now the red light means (in Cali), do not enter the intersection. So if its yellow, "proceed with caution. Green light is about to end" defense worked for me. Good luck down there!

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join