It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to "Power to the People"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Anyone old enough to remember that movement?

By the way, at that time it was a very liberal movement! Now it seems, (by propaganda or name only at least) it seems that the liberal movement has moved towards power to the government?????

Just curious if there are any old hippies out there like me who are scratching their heads with how and when liberals decided to put their faith into a more fascist type government rule, versus believing in the power being with the people.......?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I believe in the power being held by the masses of people rather than some wealthy elite. John Lennon's song really rung a bell for me.

Just curious if there are any old hippies out there like me who are scratching their heads with how and when liberals decided to put their faith into a more fascist type government rule, versus believing in the power being with the people.......?

The old hippies I know gave up on the dream, they are now reformists who believe you have to work within the confines of the system to change it, rather than tearing the machine down and starting with a solid foundation like a revolutionary believes.

People get into politics thinking they can change things, but they have to make compromises to climb the ladder and get up into an influential position in the party, and by the time the get into a leadership position they have virtually none of their original politics. Plus they owe a lot of promises to the corporate lobbyists who funded their election campaign.
An Australian example of Peter Garret comes to mind, once a rock star and an activist - especially active with indigenous affairs and environmental issues - well now he supports uranium mining on land recently stolen from aboriginals!!

The reformist approach has failed.

edit on 16/5/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Very good analogy!!!!

Which also brings up a valid point as to how corrupt people can be to climb that so called ladder! Or as I like to say, "Sell their soul!".....

Power is corrupt, yet people are willing to sell out to become corrupted.......

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

We willfully give our powers away through fear propaganda, no one can take your power away unless you hand it to them.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleVortex

We willfully give our powers away through fear propaganda, no one can take your power away unless you hand it to them.

You came at it from a different point of view and I agree 100% with you!

I would like to add that allowing someone to have their rights taken away from them, just because it doesn't immediately affect you, is a good example of how we easily allow our freedoms to erode!
edit on 16-5-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
"Power to the People" is impossible in a capitalist economy. The majority will have to be exploited as part of the pyramid scheme.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by PurpleVortex

You came at it from a different point of view and I agree 100% with you!

I would like to add that allowing someone to have their rights taken away from them, just because it doesn't immediately affect you, is a good example of how we easily allow our freedoms to erode!
edit on 16-5-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

I wanted to approach this from a different angle, yes. I think many don't understand or quite care enough when their rights are completely stripped away until it's too late.

Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care.

edit on 16-5-2013 by PurpleVortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

"Power to the People" is impossible in a capitalist economy. The majority will have to be exploited as part of the pyramid scheme.

Put the word "crony" in front of Capitalism Waterbottle, and I will agree with you 100%! It is the Global Corporations that our pulling the strings of our puppet government! There are MANY small business folks whom have become successful and many more waiting to try! So in that aspect, you can't totally blame our problems on a word that has been bastardized by corrupt politicians......

Star for you non the less!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
This is just what I'm shouting about here: Will You Be There or ..........

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Most folks think and like what they are told to think and like. This extends far beyond politics and is just an unfortunate part of the human psyche I think. Even most of those that yell and preach about waking up are just doing so because someone else they read on the internet told them what to think.

Critical thinking is forever lost on the masses, in large part because it doesn't always give one the results one wants. It gives hard answers that are often at odds with belief systems.

just my two cents on it.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Most folks think and like what they are told to think and like. This extends far beyond politics and is just an unfortunate part of the human psyche I think. Even most of those that yell and preach about waking up are just doing so because someone else they read on the internet told them what to think.

Critical thinking is forever lost on the masses, in large part because it doesn't always give one the results one wants. It gives hard answers that are often at odds with belief systems.

just my two cents on it.

Your two cents are much appreciated my friend!!! Wise words!!!!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

I unfortunately won't be there! Not that I don't want too, but I can't! However my friend, when it comes to being anti GMO, I am an advocate for knowing what I eat!

I applaud your determination!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
That's an easy question to answer power has been given to the people... but hey here's the hitch; corporations are people... but of course technically it wasn't given... it is bought and paid for everyday using corporate sponsored career politicians.

top topics

join