It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EA drop Online PASS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

EA drop Online PASS

This is a great Victory for gamers, and I hope other companies for example Activsion along with other titles follow suit and take this bold step in removing the restrictions from their titles.

Some may disagree with this, mostly from PC gamers who are locked in with a game and don’t really have the opportunity to trade in titles and I agree with them that restrictions had been around Long before console players were effected as Developers started making serial codes on PC games one use only.
But that is understandable as PC games never really needed a CD to play the game so were much easier to pirate and sell on.

But this isn’t and wasn’t really the case for console games as people (well those who used the Xbox live Service) already subsidized the online access of the game through the a subscription fee which was required to be paid to play any game online through the Microsoft servers, this meant people who bought second hand games were effectively paying extra just to play content which was already on their game but locked out.

and the only way to unlock it was to pay the developers a fee as a Online Pass to play the content.
This is different from the PSN network which is free but effectively subsidized by the PSN+ users and isn’t really profitable and lacks the same security as the Onlive Counterpart.

I can see why EA have dropped this as one way newer titles are sold is when people who enjoy the first title they bought and enjoyed it will more likely go out and buy a game on release then wait for a used copy to come available.
by blocking content they had effectively stifled the chance of the gamer who purchased the used locked copy from even contemplating purchasing a newer title on release then someone who had played the full game.

EA has taken a Bold step by doing this and I would like to say hats down congrats and thank you from the gaming community.

www.gamingrev.com...

Hopefully others follow suit

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

So, what are you saying??????????? What is the difference going to be?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turkenstein
reply to post by bodrul

So, what are you saying??????????? What is the difference going to be?

you can play online mulitplayer without restrictions when you purchase used games,
before you would be blocked from mulitplayer or be limited to leveling to a certain level before being blocked at that level

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Wow thats pretty damn shocking coming from that which is EA.

Finally a good step in the right direction.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This is pretty awesome. Finally a good move from EA.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
this is a big step and bold one as i mentioned,
one reason they are one of the first to bring it and they will set off a domino effect like they did first

being one of the largest publishers they will have a big effect on others

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Wow thats pretty damn shocking coming from that which is EA.

Finally a good step in the right direction.

They got a new CEO this year... the last drop being the simcity rage.

Guess this one isnt a vampire.

new topics

top topics

join