It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real reasons for no backing in Iraq.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The only reason the United States are being bashed for the war in Iraq is because other countries had business ties with Iraq. Now they cannot make a profit there. Sorry but the United States safety is worth more than other countries profits!

*French oil companies -- notably TotalFinaElf -- have reeled in healthy profits from decades-old business ties with Baghdad, including during the decade-plus oil-for-food program. Indeed, France and Russia have cinched a slew of Iraqi oil contracts in recent years.

*As many as 80 German companies had ties to Iraq. German companies continued to do business with Iraq until last year.

[edit on 6-11-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This has been covered so many times....jeez.

I assume you are also aware of the business dealing the US had also?

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
If France and Germany were acting only out of economic interests, they would have sided with the countries with whom they made the most money.

Let's take a look at the exports of France and Germany and see what the figures are like.

France Imports and Exports

Exports to Iraq/Irak 2002:
664 million euros
Imports from Iraq/Irak 2002:
986 million Euros

Exports to the United States/ETATS-UNIS 2002:
28,526 million Euros
Imports from the United States/ETATS-UNIS 2002:
29,647 million Euros

Ranking of Germany's trading partners in foreign trade 2003

Exports to Iraq 2003
204 million Euros
Imports from Iraq 2003
10 million Euros

Exports to the United States 2003
61,669 million Euros
Imports from the United States 2003
39,045 million Euros

If you were out just for money and looked at those figures, who would you have sided with?
There had to have more to this than just money.

[edit on 5-11-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Yep, that's the biggest crock of $hit. I get tired of hearing people say that. Believe it or not, some countries aren't as greedy as the US. Money has nothing to do with principles.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
So if a country is on the USA's sh*t-list, they aren't allowed to trade AT ALL with ANYONE?

What a load of crap. Was France selling Iraq plastic bags to suffocate babies with? Was Germany selling them hand grenades?

Maybe, just MAYBE, countries have the right to do business with each other despite what YOUR country's government might have to say about it.

Canada does business with Cuba. How evil is that, huh? Nuke us.

j

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Have you ever thought that maybe they were against the attack on principle?

The US traded with Iraq before the attack:

www.census.gov...

Stop trying to smear the countries that opposed the invasion of Iraq. The fact they traded with them had nothing to do with their opposition. Yes, some companies were implicated in the oil for food scandal but if you actually look into it, you'll find a few US companies there aswell.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
AceOfBase you left out a nice little deal the French company Total Fina Elf had with Iraq. They negotiated extensive oil contracts to develop the Majnoon and Nahr Umar oil fields in southern Iraq.

The two fields purportedly contain an estimated 26 billion barrels of oil,the non-war price per barrel of oil was $25. Based on that average these two fields have the potential to provide a gross return near $650 billion.

Now oil is going for what about $50 a barrel do the math and thats a whole lot of money.Thats where the money is, now the US invasion screwed up that little deal as it was with Saddam. There were people that benefited from Keeping Saddam in Power

"some countries aren't as greedy as the US. Money has nothing to do with principles"
Perhaps thats true but France aint one of them.

www.heritage.org...

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Nor is the US, who gains (financially) from the war?

foi.missouri.edu...

and just so you know:

U.S. companies and individuals received between 2 and 3 percent of the total voucherssome 111 million barrels out of a total of 4.1 billion. These companies were not named in the report, because of U.S. privacy laws, but were later leaked to the press.

www.cfr.org...

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by moneymaker
The only reason the United States are being bashed for the war in Iraq is because other countries had business ties with Iraq. Now they cannot make a profit there. Sorry but the United States safety is worth more than other countries profits!

*French oil companies -- notably TotalFinaElf -- have reeled in healthy profits from decades-old business ties with Baghdad, including during the decade-plus oil-for-food program. Indeed, France and Russia have cinched a slew of Iraqi oil contracts in recent years.

*As many as 80 German companies had ties to Iraq. German companies continued to do business with Iraq until last year.

This is all true but what about the US , Iraq weapons for oil deal.

Better yet the Reagan sells weapons to Iraq deal.

[edit on 6/11/2004 by drbryankkruta]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Or maybe they looked at the history of our region and decided sending their troops there would be sending them to their graves, unless they use nukes, but that solves nothing.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by moneymaker

Majority of the population in these countries opposed the war and democracies listen to majorities. European politicians follow the polls just like American politicians. These countries have millions of people living in them, they have tens of competing political fractions, they have just as free press as the US has.

There's no chance in hell that some company would've manipulated tens of millions of people and perhaps paid them all so that they would gain something and thus oppose the war. Come on these are not all-conform nazicommunist countries where all the population take the party line in elegant solidarity. These are not banana republics where you buy the dictator and get the whole country.

And what about Finland and Sweden ? How much did we have to gain from the deals of French, Germans and Americans, and still enormous majority doesn't support the war in Iraq. That doesn't mean we don't care about american safety. We are helping you in Afghanistan right this moment. We have expelled diplomats, offered intelligence information, arrested suspected terrorists, everything that can be done to help you in war against terror, what else do you want ?. We just don't get Iraq as part of the war on terror, and we get painted as a**holes who want to help terrorists instead. PLEASE !

And before you say our governments were bought then trust me there's no chance:
www.transparency.org...
We help friend in need where we can help them best, but you can't just forget providing the evidence and buy us to attack anywhere.

When you don't get the people on your side, then you don't get the country on your side. Unless the administration of that country wants to prove themselves by being "yes-men" instead of true friends who voice their opinion when they think you might be making the wrong choice. The evidence for Iraq fell short, nobody thought it was enough, and what there was became soon debunked. There were no meetings in Prague, Osama and Saddam hated each other... What do you expect us to do ?

For heavens sake half of the americans opposed war in Iraq, they must be cashing their french checks now...

Before you start bashing people because they're not part of the war on terror, please read
www.centcom.mil...
There you have the countries who are on your side, yes, even france is there working their asses off helping you right this moment. But you don't give a sh*t because they didn't buy the Iraq-horse without seeing the teeth first.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This is just the perfect time for this to arrive , ironic that this would be so to the point. TO AVOID CONFUSION THIS GOES TO MY REFLECTIONS ON BUSH HIMSELF NOT THE WAR OR PEOPLE OF IRAQ>>>>>>>>>>>

Saturday, November 6

This week's promise:
God has conquered all our enemies

Does faith promise that we will all be winners?

". . . And he chose those who are powerless to shame those who are powerful. . . "

1 Corinthians 1:26-31 NLT

As believers we may not be "winners" by the world's standards, but we have been chosen for glory by God.

All scripture is from the New Living Translation (Tyndale House Publishers, 1996).

From Our Sponsor:

From Our Publisher:

Featured Product

For Information on Advertising, click here.

Copyright 2004 Waterfront Media, Inc. All rights reserved.

You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to a Waterfront Media newsletter or product. If you would prefer not to receive this newsletter, click here to unsubscribe via our subscription management page.

Use of Waterfront Media sites is subject to our terms of service and privacy policy

Mailing address: 1020 MASS MoCA Way, North Adams, MA 01247

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Chosen for glory by god? One could quite accurately say that Hitler said similar things when conquering Europe, Napoleon, and just about any other conquerer in history really. Righteousness is not bought in blood, ever. At least not any righteousness I would claim as my own.
What if we are the bad guy, I know that isn't going to be a popular statement, but let's ask it. What if we are really wrong, would we know it? Would we be able to tell if we were doing wrong? Subjectivity is a dangerous precept when it comes to violence. Perhaps the ailing international support might be indicative of a need for evaluation of our purpose.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Chosen for glory by god? One could quite accurately say that Hitler said similar things when conquering Europe, Napoleon, and just about any other conquerer in history really. Righteousness is not bought in blood, ever. At least not any righteousness I would claim as my own.
What if we are the bad guy, I know that isn't going to be a popular statement, but let's ask it. What if we are really wrong, would we know it? Would we be able to tell if we were doing wrong? Subjectivity is a dangerous precept when it comes to violence. Perhaps the ailing international support might be indicative of a need for evaluation of our purpose.

If this was about my posted quote from my bible quote email. It's directly to about US Citizens vs Bush

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by drbryankkruta
If this was about my posted quote from my bible quote email. It's directly to about US Citizens vs Bush

Not sure I am following you then drbryankkruta, sorry if I misunderstood your post.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Not sure I am following you then drbryankkruta, sorry if I misunderstood your post.

No my fault, here is a translation of my intentions.......

The powerless faithful have power to shame (BUSH) the powerful. I say this over the lack of my support for the war and his re-election.

Is that better

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Much better

I had read alot of your posts and I was trying to understand why you were trying to justify the war in the name of christianity there... I feel better now, thanks.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The French government opposed the Iraq invasion because the French people were opposed to it. The government was merely appeasing the people. But the French government also attempted to appease the Bush Admin. by allowing US bombers to fly over its airspace.

But what about Turkey? Don't they figure into your calculations? In defiance of its government the Turkish parliament severely dented the American invasion by not allowing groundtroops or bombers to use it as a launching pad. Perhaps you would indulge in explaining the motives for this.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Much better

I had read alot of your posts and I was trying to understand why you were trying to justify the war in the name of christianity there... I feel better now, thanks.

Come twitchy you know me better than that the thread I have working at

Can you live with our future & legacy left over an unjust war???????

would have made me hypocritical an insane .............Twitchy, Twitchy ......

TUT TUT TUT TUT ................HA I slay myself.......your so cool

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Volkgeister
But what about Turkey? Don't they figure into your calculations? In defiance of its government the Turkish parliament severely dented the American invasion by not allowing groundtroops or bombers to use it as a launching pad. Perhaps you would indulge in explaining the motives for this.

Let's see Turkey a recent member of the EU,who bearly made it.
An unjust war despised by alot of the nations........what would you do.

Or what about this, Turkey a small country in the middle of the fire storm of terrorist occupations not wanting to endure terrorist retaliation.....What would you do?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join