It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are These Weird Street Signs Being Installed in Las Vegas?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee
Not sure why my post was chosen for exclusion.

All I said was that these have been up since 2006, and gave the URL to a local newspaper that supports that claim.

Don't worry about it...Read the T&C. They can really help.

Have we heard back from the Las Vegas engineer?

If you wanted to use Facial Recognition you might start in Las Vegas.

Lots of Drug Lords and criminals go there to spend their millions.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

if your talking about those little black things on the top of traffic lights,those are receptors for emergency vehicles.A transmitter in the fire truck sends out a signal to change the traffic lights as they approach.They do make and sell the transmitter,so you get all green lights,but they are illegal to own in the US

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by blkcwbyhat
reply to post by whyamIhere

if your talking about those little black things on the top of traffic lights,those are receptors for emergency vehicles.A transmitter in the fire truck sends out a signal to change the traffic lights as they approach.They do make and sell the transmitter,so you get all green lights,but they are illegal to own in the US

Have you taken one apart?

Until then it's my little conspiracy...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMagus

they'll be used to bark orders, just like the cops with their megaphones, as they drive by, telling you to put out that cigarette or take off that hoodie. the question is, how will compliance be forced?

Those who don't comply will receive a text message informing them that they have been fined "ex" amount of dollars for violating penal code CRM114. The amount of which will be automatically deducted from your bank account, thank you citizen, now move along.

Not only will the Orwellian tech spy on you, but it will also generate revenue to further expand its reaches.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Not sure why my post was chosen for exclusion.

All I said was that these have been up since 2006, and gave the URL to a local newspaper that supports that claim.

It's not you!

It did the same thing when I (and others) attempted to quote it. You didn't do anything wrong. That site will not allow its content to be placed on here by anybody.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Thanks for the info, mate.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Possibly, they have to notify us that they are doing it. Without the notice of the recording or monitoring, it would not likely be admissable in court. The stupid sign probably is the only thing that makes it legal.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by UMayBRite!
reply to post by seabag

My local county is fond of sticking out a portable signs out saying:

"Report suspicious activity".

Who do I report these signs to?

duh?....to the suspicious activities director, who else?

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Sometimes it's fun to make fun of a bad situation and instead of bashing costing tax payers more money for this nonsense; pranks like the following is a better idea...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
One small step for man
One giant leap for Homeland Security
This is just TOO much.
People need to raise a stink over this and every other intrusion on our privacy.
At a time when the government is in debt to insane levels and is unable to fund programs for education, health, safety etc where do they always find money for stuff like this or 2,700 armored cars?
Government expenditures alone tells the tale of what those in power truly care about - control. Not you, not your children, not your town but power and control.
Representative Democracy is deader than that possum laying in the center line for the last week.
If this is the American dream somebody wake me up.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Some people are really jumping to conclusions.

Is there -any- evidence that these are not merely intelligent traffic signs?

I mean -ANY- evidence at all.

I am willing to suspend my disbelief if someone can bring forward -any- evidence.

I found some info on a patent filed by IBM for a device that will allow traffic signals to remotely stop your vehicle. This is system was being contemplated in LA 3 years ago.

Speeding through a red light? Not a chance, according to IBM Corp.

The technology behemoth, known for its work with computers, is now trying its hand at traffic. The company recently filed a patent application for a system that could remotely stop and start vehicle engines at traffic signals in order to save fuel and prevent crashes.

The system would sense vehicles’ positions and send a “stop engine” notification – either by automatically turning off the engine or displaying an alert telling drivers to manually switch off power.

At intersections, railway crossings and other locations, the system could use anything from weight sensors to camera and GPS units to track vehicles. The technology could also be used to calculate when cars have been idling for too long and should be shut down.
latimesblogs.latimes.com...

Connecticut received federal funds for its new smart signals with video capability this year.

GREENWICH, Conn. (CBSNewYork) — Greenwich is aiming to become the first town in Connecticut to have smart street signals.

As WCBS 880’s Sean Adams reported, the town already has lights with video detection that change from red to green when vehicles approach.

Town chief engineer James Michael said this new $2.75 million federally funded system has a computer brain that coordinates multiple intersections.
newyork.cbslocal.com...

I still haven’t determined what company makes the signals in Vegas but they certainly could be outfitted with similar capabilities as Conn and LA’s systems if desired. I see how this could be abused by DHS and LE. I love how all of these things fall under “conservation of energy” meme.

edit on 17-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

But none of these systems actually exist, this isn't really evidence of anything other than people spending money.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
As someone who actually lives in Vegas, I'm only slightly concerned. Tonight I will be hitting up one of these devices and investigating. I'll be attempting to take pics and see if I can find a manufacturer. That is if the police don't show up... guess we'll see right?

I doubt they will but you never know anymore, I'll have my gf or a friend come with me to record from a safer distance if the police do show up so we can expose them.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Leave it to ATS to jump on the sensationalism bandwagon using a lesser-known blog as a "source".

Though you could just learn how to use pig latin or something to confuse whoever's listening.

Random dudes on phone: Igpays, igpays, vamoose, vamoose
Sgt.Stadanko: Must be the latin connection

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

reply to post by seabag

But none of these systems actually exist, this isn't really evidence of anything other than people spending money.

They do exist!

I've posted pics! Many of the intellistreet systems have already been installed! So have the Conn smart signals with cameras!

I'm not sure what we're arguing about here anymore.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elion
As someone who actually lives in Vegas, I'm only slightly concerned. Tonight I will be hitting up one of these devices and investigating. I'll be attempting to take pics and see if I can find a manufacturer. That is if the police don't show up... guess we'll see right?

I doubt they will but you never know anymore, I'll have my gf or a friend come with me to record from a safer distance if the police do show up so we can expose them.

That would be awesome!!

I look forward to seeing what you and other residents discover!

I've been to Vegas a dozen times but never stopped to smell the roses (or look at street lights).

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I'll let you all know and see what I can find... Anyone else in Vegas? Send me a message, we can all meet up and figure these new devices out... I'll be heading to the one on Spring Mountain.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

edit on 17-5-2013 by dezurtdog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Double

edit on 17-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join