It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USS Enterprise model ship launched into stratosphere, crash lands north of Toronto

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Girl with Hello Kitty, power tools and ....
Impressive.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
You can launch things like the Enterprise as a rocket in the US without having to worry about DHS, as long as you have FAA clearance. Rockets that fly over a certain height have to have FAA clearance (a lot of them you can buy as kits come with a letter from the FAA clearing them for flight). If you're launching in a high traffic area you have to get the FAA involved to ensure that the launch is safe (which would probably be a good idea anyway with those altitudes).

You need only involve the FAA if your bird is over 3.3 pounds or has over 125 grams of propellant in them.Anything smaller you need not deal with the FAA over that limit you need to get a waiver from them up to whatever altitude the field you launching from can handle for safe recovery.There are places like Black Rock desert in nevada that have standing waivers up to 20k with windows higher if needed.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
They could have done it in a less populated area. Imagine they would have could a kitten, it´s obviously obvious that they don´t like kitten at all, sending them towards space and such..

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by EzekielsWheel

That picture is funny on so many levels. I can't stop watching it!

These "balloon missions" fascinate me for some reason. I also like when amateurs launch rockets with cameras. Something I've always wanted to do. Ironically though, I can't find a place big enough here in Arizona where it's legal.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

helicopters will not work in space , they need air .

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tom.farnhill

For those whom are well versed in atmospherics, the stratosphere is not as airless as most presume. It consists of atomic O2 particles, which is part of the ozone layer. The blades of the helicopter will need to be adapted to be able to tap into such form of particles to enable lift of those lightweighted parts.

Secondly, the use of compressed air cannisters on board the chopper may be thrust needed for weight resistance and manovering to allow it to fall off the horizon to stay in orbit.

Furthermore, as there is atomic O2 there, we will need to create a device to convert it into air to keep the compressed air cannisters well supplied. As for energy, plenty of that comes from the sun, to work and control the electronics.

All it takes is some sweat and time, which fortunately, high school and college kids do have the time to experiment around with, rather than to work on same old projects year after year to get grades, and be the first to put a modified chopper into space, to fuel or quest for further space exploration on the cheap and economical side.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join