It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Satellite Image: Help Needed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Got sent this google sat image asking if i know what this is, and, i do not. Can anyone identify these land markings? Initially i thought it's got something to do with farming, but i am not positive.

I will add:

It is in South Africa in an area called Verneukpan, in the Northern Cape. This area is known for its dried up salt lake.

Verneukpan
edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: link added

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
THey look like those rainbow twirly lolipops from willy wonka without the colors

I did notice that the designs are reflecting sunlight. So it could be something like metal or water??
edit on 16-5-2013 by Casualboy100 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
You are correct about it being related to farming. They use a motorized irrigation system that spins in a circle.

Center Pivot irrigation

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Can you provide coordinates so we can see them in context with the surrounding terrain?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
You are correct about it being related to farming. They use a motorized irrigation system that spins in a circle.

Center Pivot irrigation

No, it's not center pivot irrigation. These are roads, I think.. But need to get coordinates to look more closely.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Is this what it would look like from satellite, in your opinion?

And, being a dried up salt lake persuaded my opinion/belief that it has something to do with farming.

@Tinker: Getting the co-ordinates
edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
It may have something to do with farming but it's not irrigation. Can you please give the coords?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

If it's farming, they are doing a horrible job! It is sooo dry

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Took a bit to find, I do not see why they would be farming in this area, especially to the scale. There are no buildings or towns anywhere close, and looking around South Africa you can see farming is done correctly in other areas of the country, so why would they screw it up here?

And if you look north and east of those coordinates, you will see around 5 times the circles in varying sizes all around the area....
edit on 16-5-2013 by CalibratedZeus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I am still waiting for coords. But, go here, scroll down & you will see it, just zoom in. You will see it

Thank you CalibratedZeus! Much appreciated.
edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Here is a wider shot of the area, lots of straight lines and other patters around too. Some of them look a lot older and fainter than others. There is one building I spotted in the northeast corner, and a few man-made water holding areas, so hey, still no clue....

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by CalibratedZeus

I saw that "faded" triangle shape just now. Strange indeed.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: spelling

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
There also appear to be 'Nazca Lines' bordering the area with the spirals.

The largest of the spirals is 150m in diameter. Most are around 70.

Some further reading: Nazsca in the Karoo!

We eagerly await some confirmation from the ground of what these formations are, there are no records on the internet about these that we can find. apparently they were not visible on google earth in 2006, so either they are man made. very recently, or revealed by erosion and very very ancient. The spirals resemble markings on the most ancient human sites around the globe. When did our ancient history become so exciting?

Source

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
So this area is a salt pan.

It's likely that these are the roads used to gather salt...

www.henrileriche.com...

Interesting regardless - if you zoom out you can see these circles are all within a larger triangular shape. Very cool, but I'm not sure what it is. It COULD have been ancient farming, but that's just speculation.

Probably ALIENZ!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

That's why i am on ATS! Fazza, thank you so much!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
thats only salt... nothing grows there. Its not irrigation.

the only thing i know that goes on there is or are speed records of various types of land vehicles...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
For reference, the spirals don't appear in Google Earth imagery from 2005.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
My bad, did not realize it was a salt plain. I would go with a salt harvesting technique before I would go with aliens, crop circles or Nazca lines. Some parts of the world companies sometimes forget to ask for permits lol.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus

Center Pivot irrigation

Seconded. You can find these kind of crops a lot of places on Google Earth.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

Another star for you.

Lots of work that was done in a year. Man made.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join