It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men who are physically strong are more likely to have right wing political views

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Men who are physically strong are more likely to take a right wing political stance, while weaker men are inclined to support the welfare state, according to a new study.
Researchers discovered political motivations may have evolutionary links to physical strength.
Men's upper-body strength predicts their political opinions on economic redistribution, according to the research.

Source

I gotta say that I just don't know about this study. I can think of men that seem to be physically strong that aren't right-wing, and vice-versa. Though there are always exceptions to a rule and this study is simply saying that "most" men fall into either category.

Interesting study though, nonetheless. I wonder how much taxpayer money, if any, was used on the part done at UC.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Carrot all the cabbage! Curse these weak boney arms that have given me leftist views! If I was a macho man I would be shaking hands with Ronnie Regan. No, I'm just acting like an idiot. To be honest I question reports of this nature. I can understand if one group of people would support one view compared to the other. But is that how we'll pain macho men as conservatives and sponge-bob like men as liberal wimps? Just my two cents.

+7 more 
posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
(in Arnold Schwarzenegger toned voice) Those left wingers are a bunch of girly men.

edit on 16-5-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I dont put much faith in any of these "if X then D" and "if Y then R" studies but the stereotyping jokes will sure be funny.

Twig boy.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
right is might !

you know there might be something to this, thinking about friends and family, the pattern they describe fits.
also though i see a mental pattern as well.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

I guess you can look at how many conservatives do have thicker skin than others. Like say for instance a woman (I don't recall the name) who was a conservative and supported the troops during the early years on the Iraq war was very critical of the protesters. She had this posture and was very straight forward when she told Code Pink to shut up and get a job. I was like wow! That's a strong woman. I guess you'll have to be tough in order to be less popular than many left type political groups.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

Huh? Just the opposite, in my experience (us vegans have the strength of ten men, and tend to be some other wing). Did the researchers say how men were chosen to be questioned? Did they find them on the street, in gyms (probably left-wingers don't go to the gym but work out at home, or by lifting barrels of toxic waste as they clean up the land), or door-to-door? This is like saying that "men don't make passes at girls who wear glasses" and backing it up with someone's idea of a survey.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The political dialectic did not just happen. It was designed. The purpose is to divide. TPTB understand how people think and they use this against you. Ask Bernays or Hegel.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Whatev. Who pays for these useless studies?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

you hit the nail on the head, i know and knew some who thought they had the strengh of ten men. and thought tuff, and in most instances were.

i've also known men who, did have the strength of ten men, but didn't see them self that way, who you had to push to use their psychical strength, to move or do something, that all leaned left.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

I'm confident I could design a study that would show wimpy, fat, insecure, false bravado types, keyboard warrior gamesters, living with mom and dad as more conservative politically than active, athletic, over achievers.

“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.” ― Mark Twain

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
reply to post by BobM88

Huh? Just the opposite, in my experience (us vegans have the strength of ten men, and tend to be some other wing). Did the researchers say how men were chosen to be questioned? Did they find them on the street, in gyms (probably left-wingers don't go to the gym but work out at home, or by lifting barrels of toxic waste as they clean up the land), or door-to-door? This is like saying that "men don't make passes at girls who wear glasses" and backing it up with someone's idea of a survey.

Yea... some other wing... the chicken wing.

Anyway... every time I think of a liberal I picture a flimsy weak guy - thats the truth. Actually the name bill maher comes to mind... wimp, flimsy and... a bit turned to the ... happier side.

Like a vegan... I picture a skinny hipster with checkered tight pants with a weird hairdo with their converse snickers listening to their ipods and glued to their iphones at starbucks... in dire need of spending a month at Bragg.

Its just these pictures that come to mind.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Makes sense. Remember, earlier this year there was a study which showed that right wing-minded people have more Neanderthal DNA than Dems. So this kind of goes hand in hand.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Men who are physically strong are more likely to have right wing political views

Yet, they feel intimidated at the polling stations.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jheherrin
Makes sense. Remember, earlier this year there was a study which showed that right wing-minded people have more Neanderthal DNA than Dems. So this kind of goes hand in hand.

The physical strength of a neanderthal and the intellect of a sapiens... that would be a perfect species. Unfortunately no...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Yeah, I just made all that up.

Sorry.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I am of a medium build with a high IQ, and have a dominant personality. I am a conservative right winger. I'm not sure if it's so much the physical strength thing as it is the personality of strength. Lefties tend to come in and go out with the tide or blow around in the wind a lot.

edit on 16-5-2013 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

I can kind of see how this would make sense for the majority of people who would identify with the ideas of "left" or "right". The fact of the matter is, both are illusions.

I'm just tired of hearing the words; left, right, liberal, conservative, democrat, republican...
dummies, stupids, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

Need more coffee..

I like your avatar picture btw. It looks cold though.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Makes sense. If you are an athlete, or work out regularly, you know the connection between hard work and returns. If you sit around and complain about being fat, do nothing about it, or try to a miracle drug to lose weight, you can't appreciate the amount of time and effort it takes to get a good body. I would suppose that those same individuals apply the working attitude to every aspect of their lives. The leftist progressive that on the other hand is content not doing anything and sharing the wealth, ie taking things that do not belong to you.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace

Yet, they feel intimidated at the polling stations.

The article talks about strength not courage.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join